Urch Forums

TWE 15: Qualities of a good neighbor

manasi4gre

TOPIC: Neighbors are the people who live near us. In your opinion, what are the qualities of a good neighbor? Use specific details and examples in your answer.

We human beings are social by nature. Social interaction, friendship and timely helping are inherent in us. “Neighbor”, the very mention of the word brings in our mind the image of the people next door, living in close proximity, who directly affect the social environment we live in. It is expected that a good neighbor possesses nice qualities like dependability, harmony and honesty to create a pleasant neighborhood.

First and foremost comes dependability. A neighbor living close to us has to be reliable and trustworthy. For instance, we may need to leave our house keys with them in case in an unforeseen circumstance. When in need, neighbors may borrow money from us but it is the trust in them that provides the assertion of repaying it shortly.

Moreover, a good neighbor should be respectable with a high moral character. This brings about admiration and respect for one another. They should understand the need for space and privacy for their neighbors and people living close by and should refrain from interfering in the lives of others. As good neighbors, we should avoid “keeping up with the Joneses” and stop comparing ourselves with the material possessions of people living next door. Keeping to low levels of noise, avoiding social parties and celebrations at unearthly hours is another necessity. This inculcates the base of a better understanding with each other’s neighbors.

A good neighbor should be helpful and be there to count on in case of any crisis. Helping each other fosters closeness, understanding and better social interaction. For example, when our entire family was away for vacation, there was an attempted burglary at our house. It was our friendly neighbors who alerted the police on time and even informed us immediately.

To summarize, it can be said that good neighbors should necessarily possess some virtues like reliability, honesty and helpfulness that nurture better relationships based on mutual trust and understanding.

Good job, this is a great essay. In each of your essays I find at least one word I didn't know before; you have a great vocabulary!

It's great to read your essays, I always get ideas and learn something :)

However, I did find some minor issues:

the very mention of the word brings in our mind the image of the people next door
Sentence order: "the very mention of the word brings the image of the people next door to our minds"

"repaying it shortly"
I'm not sure this is correct. Either use "within a short time" / "soon" or get the use of the word "shortly" in this context confirmed by a native speaker.

"They should understand"
You don't mention "neighbors" within the two sentences before, so it is grammatically unclear what "they" refers to.

each other’s neighbors
This sounds to me like: family A has neighbour X, family B has neighbour Y. And now A tries to understand Y while B tries to understand X.

suggestion: "everyone should try to understand his or her neighbors"

Good job, this is a great essay. In each of your essays I find at least one word I didn't know before; you have a great vocabulary!

It's great to read your essays, I always get ideas and learn something :)

Thank you very much for your nice words. :)

I shall also keep in mind the suggestions you mentioned. :)