Urch Forums

Topic: "compare money vs trading goods", please rate/comment

Lukas

This is the topic powerprep gave me. I went through the test quickly and then wrote the essay just as quickly :)

I'd appreciate your input on this essay!

Topic:

Some people pay money for the things they want or need. Other people trade products or goods for what they need. Compare the advantages of these two ways of obtaining things. Which way do you prefer? Explain why.

While most people nowadays use money for their transactions, there are still some people who trade products or goods to obtain what they need. Obviously, there are advantages to both ways of obtaining something. Dealing with goods allows someone to have a direct use for anything he produced. The use of money on the other hand, makes the sale and acquisition of goods a lot easier because one can be more flexible. Personally, as someone who lives in an industrialised country, I prefer to buy things with money instead of trading goods.

The advantage of trading products or goods for the things one needs is that one can directly use goods originating in one's own production. For instance, someone who grows vegetables in his garden, is able to trade these vegetables for other things he needs. By trading he can evaluate the value of a piece of vegetable himself, depending on what his needs are and how much he had to invest to culture it.

Nowadays, almost all transactions are of the kind "goods for money". The main advantage of money is its flexibility. Money will not go bad, it does not take up much space and it has a generally accepted value.

Personally, I prefer doing my transactions by money and almost always do so. I believe that money transactions are much more convenient than the trade of goods for other goods. For example, money will keep its value over a very long period of time while most products are perishable and will expire after a short time. Moreover, by paying with money one does not have to guess the needs of the seller of a product. Maybe the selling person will not need the vegetables one is able to offer as a trade, but he will always have a use for money.

In conclusion, even though the trade of goods has certain advantages, money transactions are by far the most common and convenient way of trading. As a visualisation one could say, it is much easier to carry a bundle of cash around than a huge basket of vegetables.

There is an improvement in the organisation of your essay. :)

However,you can shorten your essay intro and remove "Obviously, there are advantages to both ways of obtaining something".Now it is a lot clearer.

In the second para,you mention uses of trading.Did you mean to stress on trading by goods or money? It is really unclear for the reader...

nice conclusion.

Thank you for manasi!

It's bed time for me now. The next time I post I'm (yet again) done with the test.

I just calculated that there is even a more than 10% chance that I will get a topic I have already written about. :)