Urch Forums

#081: Technology has made the world a better place

Erin

• 2 months later...

Hi, everyone.

Please give my essay some comments.

I appriciate them in advance.

#081: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Technology has made the world a better place to live. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

The application of technologies to our lives like inventions positively has benefited us, but the civilization of our lives brought by that, in turn, has damaged the environment. Thus, I cannot agree nor disagree with this statement.

No doubt that technologies have contributed to human living in the world. The spreads of electricity, clean water, or roads available have been all achieved mainly because technologies have been invented or improved. Thanks to that the globe has been more convenient place for human beings. In advanced countries, people can no longer need fireplaces to warm themselves, can drink purified water just turning on a tap, and can walk or drive paved roads smoothly. Consequently not only have we been able to be exempted from the tiresome work with which our ancestry was burdened before, but the condition of our living on earth have become healthy, safe, fast-paced.

However, we have accomplished such a modern life at the cost of the environment and resources of the earth, two thirds of which have been already lost. This has not just posed numerous enviromental problems such as grobal warming, endangered species, and more recently in Southeast Asia hazes, but also threaten our own sustenance on the earth. I belive the existence of our future generations will depend on the development and advancement of more eco-friendly technologies, for electricity, like the one efficient and emissions-free capturing and sequestering hydrogen from renewables.

Summing up, technologies have helped make our human lives conveient just as much as damage the environment and resources. Now even human existence is at risk. However, I believe since many people in the world are now realizing the facts, and many technologies have been produced that would work well both for us and the earth, these problems will soon be solved.

• 1 month later...

Hi miwa:

If I do not care about the topic, I must say I like your writing very much! However, the topic ask that "do you agree or disagree", I think that you should choose one and support your answer. I am afraid that what you write does not answer the question correctly.

• 6 months later...

Hello! Here's my latest attempt on essay-writing... :p

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Technology has made the world a better place to live. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Discussion about whether technology has made the world a better place to live is often very emotional, with many good arguments on both sides. My own point of view is a bit divided, but all in all I think the advantages of technology clearly overrule the disadvantages.

However, I have to list some of the negative aspects, too. Advances in technology have, not by themselves, but by human lack of knowledge, thought and care, led to a level of pollution and exploitation of natural resources that is more than worrying. There is also the problem of gaps between technically well-equipped and developmental countries. Even within a country a person’s familiarity with technology is often essential in job applications. Therefore, especially older people find it harder and harder to get back to work after a break, or to change jobs.

The advantages of technology, on the other hand, are manifold:

Especially in the medical sector, new discoveries and technologies have made it possible to heal and prevent many illnesses, and to save by far more lives than people would have imagined some centuries ago. To name a few examples, the discoveries of sterilisation and desinfection, of antibiotics and vaccines, of endoscopic surgery and organ and blood transplants were major steps that have since then enormously improved the quality of people’s lives.

Another point that is often neglected is the development of agricultural techniques and fertilizers. Without these technologies, it would be impossible to feed a country’s population, and famines would be a problem that is not restricted to the third world. Even in this case, genetic engineering may lead to modified plants that are less susceptible to rough climate conditions and parasites and help increase the crops in poor countries.

The improvement of the infrastructure by roads, vehicles and telecommunication made it possible to exchange information and goods much faster than before, and to more distant places. This has helped the economy of many countries to thrive. It has also lead to intercultural exchange, which greatly influences the feelings people from different countries or religions have about each other: If you know other cultures, you are much less likely to be afraid of or to hate the people. Another consequence is that many people’s lives could be saved by telephoning the firefighters or an ambulance, and by their quick arrival – and new technologies they use, such as fireproof clothes or heart defibrillators.

Technology has also helped the authorities to solve many more crimes than they used to. This is partly due to the improved communication between distant places, and partly to developments such as DNA analysis, trace analysis, mass spectrometry and computers that can match thousands of fingerprints or pictures in a small amount of time.

There are hundreds of devices that make daily life easier (such as washing-machines, cars and bikes) and give new possibilities for entertainment (television, radio, compact discs, electrical instruments and recording systems), not to mention the importance of computers in today’s business and infrastructure organisation.

All these examples state how much different aspects of people’s lives have been improved by technology, and I think it is safe to say that technology has made the world a better place to live, since most people profit in more than one way from it.

Please tell me what you think about my essay. Your advice will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.:p

The discussion as to whether or not technology has made the world a better place to live is a controversial one. In my opinion, I strongly support that technology has made world a better place to live for the below reasons.

First of all, the achievement of modern technology has greatly facilitated people¡¯s lives. Take plane as an example. My hometown is Qingdao. About 15 years ago I had to waste around 20 hours from Qingdao to Beijing by train. Now, it just takes me one hour by flight. Besides, Internet is another typical example. Nowadays, many parents can talk and even see their child on computer who is in another place through Internet, which bring them great comfort. It is no doubt that Internet, the achievement of technology, is a much more efficient way to contact people than airmails.

Secondly, technology has developed much new knowledge that helped human beings to know and protect themselves better. For example, phthisic was an incurable disease in China around 500 years ago, whereas nowadays it is no longer such a frightening disease, which entirely owes to the improvement of science and technology.

However, some other people argue that technology has brought much trouble to them and made the world a worse place to live. They claim that all kinds of vehicles have polluted the environment, or there is a lot of information on Internet that is bad for juveniles. It is true, but up to now, no countries that hope to become powerful have prohibited the application of vehicles and Internet nevertheless. They constitute laws or regulations to decrease the negative effect instead. This means most people have acknowledged that the advanced technology plays a very important role in their lives and has helped them to lead a better life.

Admittedly, technology has made the world a better place to live in the past. As long as we can make use of it seemly, technology will bring us more convenience and enjoyment in the future.