Urch Forums

#083: Modern technology is creating a single world

Erin

• 5 months later...

Hi guys!

I need your help. That was a hard one. When I thinking about something complex, I switch to my native language, what is lead to clamsy sentences.

Today we all are observers of grandiose event – how modern technology is creating a single world culture. The most outstanding attainments on the way to the mega culture became computer and Internet.

Computers and Internet today are the first-rate achievements of science and technology. It is hard to imagine how people would live without these essential tools. We can segregate our history for two epochs – before computer and Internet and after it. These inventions changed our idea about world by unifying separate countries into a common information community. Frontiers became transparent and iron curtain cannot lock up admission to impartial information anymore. Each person have a inalienable right to access global information expanse. One can choose a college for education regardless of their citizenship. Online classes are now available to almost everyone around the world. One can live on an island or another remote location and with a computer, Internet access and a desire to learn he can continue his education. Education armed with a new technology give its graduates thorough, advanced and multicultural knowledge.

However, on the way to the global world there are a lot of obstacles. East and West culture have significant differences in their development. Hundreds of international conflicts tell us that there is a communication gap between cultures. It is hard to achieve integration among so different civilizations as West and Muslim, for example. International dialog is complicated from the distinction in global ideas. For example, the conception of justice significantly different in West culture and Chinese or Indian traditional society. Globalization promotes communication from the one side, but intensifies international tension from the other side.

In conclusion, the process of creating a single world culture is accomplishable with difficulty, because contain contradictory forces. Cultural integration required common understanding among nations. I believe that the future generation will resolve all problems and will live in the world of single culture.

This is a hard topic, I agree with you elenka. However, the toughest part for me iis to put reasonings made in our native language into english... and in thirty minutes!

Anyway, here's my humble contribution..

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Modern technology is creating a single world culture. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Time: 30’ – Nº of words: 298

In this new era of technology and communications, the world has become more accesible for everyone. Some people believe that in the future, every single culture will gradually transform under the influence of the other ones until differences will dissapear, giving place to a single culture all over the world. However, it is my contention that taking a part of a culture is not necessarily to be similar to others. On the contrary, enriches the cultural bagage without losing its particularity.

The influence of the media in the modern culture has reached its pinnacle during the last decades. Since the invention of the television, the impact on masification of cultures has growed contanstly. But the best exponent of such a change is, by far, the internet. By media, cultures can learn from each other, understand why are differents and what aspects are worth to be acquired and what aspects do not. Nevertheless, as cultures are differents, will interpretate those characteristics on their own way, conservating their difference that makes them unique.

Transportation has contributed to generate changes in cultures as well. Ships, airplanes, motorcars and trains can bring not only information as I expained in the paragraph above, but more importantly, human beings. Immigrants, moved to a new place, carry values, customs, religions, languages and behaviors that were inherent of their former culture. But mixing with the new place, new customs, words and values will arise, giving to the adopted culture new elements and a better identity.

All in all, modern technology has produced a better understanding of different cultures. Because of this, in the future there will be many changes that will, in turn, not only conservate the identities of the cultures, but also provide an enrichment because of the particular interpretation of the new elements aported.