Urch Forums

#085: A foreign visitor has only one day to spend

Erin

• 7 months later...

#085: A foreign visitor has only one day to spend in your country. Where should this visitor go on that day? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice.

--

I am from Austria. So for me it is out of the question to spend a day in my country somewhere else than in Vienna, our capital city.

Everyone knows that we have many beautiful cities and places in Austria, but in my opinion Vienna is something special, and maybe it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Not only because of its rich history but also because of all the famous sights you will be able to look at I would absolutely recommend everyone to stay one day in my lovely city. I am sure, you will never regret it.

In my free time I worked as a city guide for several years, and never has someone thought that Vienna is just normal. In general, if someone is not interested in a particular part of our culture, I always recommend walking one round along a street which is located around the city center. There most of the famous buildings are located. Then you may visit the city center with its wonderful churches and at the end of the day you have to visit the UNESCO's World Heritage Site of Schönbrunn Palace. Maybe now you think that this would be the highlight of the tour, but I am sure it is not because everything is a highlight in Vienna.

We are famous for our culture, for our music, for our two operas (There are a many people from Japan who fly to Vienna just to watch one opera.), for our more than six theaters, for the most famous classical concert hall in the world ("Musikvereinssaal"), for our palaces, for our gardens, for our churches, for our museums, for our famous buildings, and for nearly everything else you can look at in Vienna.

One day is a very short time, but it will be a day you will never forget if you stay this one day visiting this outstanding city, my city: Vienna!

Erin,Vaya and all,

please check up on my essay; I need any minor suggestions from you.

Thank in advance.

#085: A foreign visitor has only one day to spend in your country. Where should this visitor go on that day? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice.

--

I love my country. If someone visits my home town, Ho Chi Minh city,Vietnam, I will take them to go around this city. I think that going with motocycle is wonderful.

That city is so smaller than other ones in the world ,but in my country, Ho Chi Minh city is one of the most important commercial and tourist centres in Vietnam. It also has an old name , Sai Gon. That name was pretty famous in around 1975. And now, I am very proud that “Sai Gon” was replaced by new name ,Ho Chi Minh, which is the name of my famous leader , Uncle Ho. So it is worth spending a day in Ho Chi Minh city. Not only because of its rich 300-year history but also because of all the natural sights you will come across along the streets.

Not the same as other cities in this world, car is not the main means of transportation. So if you stay at my town, I suggest you should use motocycle as a common transportation. There are many beautiful and valuable sights that you are able to like such as Reunification Conference Hall (where the old Sai Gon administration lived and worked here), Nha Rong Wharf (where many historical significance events took place and where president Ho Chi Minh went abroad in search of the nation’s freedom)..Well, it is interesting that you have known a little about my country before you visit. But don’t be afraid , I am very willing to help you. Then you can take a walk along fresh road such as Pham Ngoc Thach, my most favourite road, to go sight-seeing and to talk with young friend at The Youth Culture House’s clubs. Finally, it is very regret if you do not take part in a Vietnamese warm family meal at the end of the day. I am sure you will feel warm in your heart and will surprise that there is three generation joint living in one family.

However spending short time in my home town, you will never forget all the time and all the feeling you get about my peaceful town and my hospitable Vietnamese.

welcome any suggestion!!! MAIMI

• 1 month later...

I am about to take TOEFL test . Please rate my essay. I need to know my possible score

:):D:p

85 A foreign visitor has only one day to spend in your country. Where should this visitor go on that day? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice.

A friend of mine who is from US has just told me that she would pay a visit to Ho Chi Minh City or just one day. Without hesitation, I recommend her to visit Ho Chi Minh Museum. Independent Palace and Ben Thanh Market ; all of them are not only the symbols of Ho chi Minh City but also the pride, , the belief in future of Ho Chi Minh residents . There are no less than two reasons to explain my opinion as rendered below.

One chief reason I choose three of them is that these places are for along time considered the symbols of Ho Chi Minh City. Once my friend, a foreigner comes to visit three of them, she will be impressed by the marvelous architecture in Independent Palace , will be overwhelmed with emotions when being told about Vietnamese history in Ho Chi Minh museum and will have a chance to enjoy the freshest fruits in Ben Thanh Market . All of these places can give my friend basic knowledge about Vietnamese culture, history, architecture and the most important the Vietnamese way of living .

Another reason is that these places can tell my friend about the pride in the past, the present happiness and the belief in future of Ho Chi Minh people. If visiting Independent Place and Ho Chi Minh Museum can tell my friend about Vietnamese iron will in two wars against French and American colonists, the business in Ben Thanh market reveals the happiness of city dwellers when living in a peaceful country , a beautiful city and eth strong belief in the future of the country and the city

My friend undoubtedly will find many interesting facts about Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh City .

Let’s these reasons work as a device my fried – a foreigner to come to visit Ho Chi Minh city , especially visit Independent Palace , Ho Chi Minh Museum , Ben Thanh Market for her one-day journey in Vietnam .

• 2 weeks later...

If a foreign visitor has only one day to spend in my country,I will suggest that he or she should relax at hotel. This is because traveling in one day reinforces tiredness and wastes money while relaxing at hotel has everything.

The visitor will be tired ,especially resulted from being in a plane for a long time.Any traveler has to face those boring and small space in the plane.The visitor also has to face new weather with which he or she is not fimiliar.Therefore, it's better to stay somewhere which offers relaxing climate.

Furthurmore,traveling in one day can waste money as everything has to go on quickly.If I reccommend the visitor to some place, there will always be another interesting thing to explore nearby.But as the visitor has a very limited time,the visitor cannot see something else which may be beneficial to him or her.For example, if the visitor go to the temple that I reccommend, the visitor may not has enough time to explore a very cheap local market located near that temple.

Staying at hotel does not mean that the visitor cannot get a sense of traveling.There are many shops located in hotels.These shops always collect interesting local products to serve tourists.The visitor can also eat local food and watch T.V. programs about local traveling sites which are in almost every restaurants.

While I realize that there are many places which are wonderful for tourist, one day is not enough for anyone to earn maximum benefits from traveling.Therefore, I reccomend that the visitor should stay at hotel.

I am from Peru, and if a foreign visitor has only one day to spend in my country he should spend his time in Cuzco.

Cuzco is an amazing city that all tourist in Peru should visit it.

First, he, the foreign visitor, must take a light breakfast like hot tea and some biscuits. Remenber that in Cuzco there is a high pressure and is probably that a foreign visitor could feel bad.

Then he should take a train to get to MachuPicchu, the oldest ruin of Southamerica. It would be an amazing experience. That MachuPicchu offer positive energy is known. Some people try to go there only looking for feeling good, "charging" with positive energy. It is an outstanding place!

It is probably that he spend almost all day in MachuPicchu, so he must take lunch there.

When he is come back, he should take a tour by the city, there he could visit old churchs, museums, and principal monuments around the city.

Finally, he should take a nap because a pub or a discotheque is waiting for him, to say good bye to all peruvians that live in Cuzco.

:p PS: I hope somebody can help me with my essay. Correct my English please

Basically I am an Indian who is presently living in USA. But I still consider writing for the place in India as I know mroe about India than USA

Please comment on it.

[dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance]

Originally posted by Erin Billy

-------------------------------------------------------

I am from India, a country full of natural beauty and historical and ancient places to visit. There are so many places to visit in India that it is really difficult to tell which one the visitor should choose if he has only one day. I think he should visit Elora Caves.

The first reason why the visitor should visit the Elora than the other places including the world's one of the seven wonders Tajmahal of King Shahajahan is that Elora is close to Mumbai (Bombay). Bombay is one of the international airports in India and for many countries that as destination is suitable than other international airports. From Bombay there are many domestic flights available to go to Aurangabad from which Elora is very close. Thus the visitor can visit the Elora in one day.

Secondly the Elora is one of the ancient heritages of India. Nowadays there very few of such heritages are in good condition. Elora is one of them. We do not know for how many more years those will be in good condition. So one would certainly not like to miss the opportunity of visiting any of such ancient places.

Further more in ancient time the artists and sculptures carved and painted many scenes and statues of Buddha and Hindu gods in Elora caves. The caves can provide us information about Hindu and Buddha culture of ancient India. Not only from ancient history point of view but also from artistic point of view Elora caves is the best place to visit. Very minute details have been carved in those stones. The beauty of that is incomparable to any other things in the world. The temple of god Shiva is one of the many attractions of the visitors of the Elora. Also the guides are available who can tell the history of the caves in English.

Considering all the factors like transportation, importance of the place, the historical and artistic view the best choice as per me to visit in India in one day is Elora Caves.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Fativale1

I am from Peru, and if a foreign visitor has only one day to spend in my country he should spend his time in Cuzco.

Cuzco is an amazing city that all tourist in Peru should visit it.

First, he, the foreign visitor, must take a light breakfast like hot tea and some biscuits. Remenber that in Cuzco there is a high pressure and is probably that a foreign visitor could feel bad.

Then he should take a train to get to MachuPicchu, the oldest ruin of Southamerica. It would be an amazing experience. That MachuPicchu offer positive energy is known. Some people try to go there only looking for feeling good, "charging" with positive energy. It is an outstanding place!

It is probably that he spend almost all day in MachuPicchu, so he must take lunch there.

When he is come back, he should take a tour by the city, there he could visit old churchs, museums, and principal monuments around the city.

Finally, he should take a nap because a pub or a discotheque is waiting for him, to say good bye to all peruvians that live in Cuzco.

:p PS: I hope somebody can help me with my essay. Correct my English please

Hi, Fativale 1.

I can tell that you've got a true love for the place you are describing. However, what I would first recommend to you, in order to improve this as a TOEFL essay and convey your thoughts even more clearly, is to think of the basic format of essay writing.

1) Have one paragraph for your introduction which includes your thesis statement (one sentence which clearly states your opinion and 2 or 3 main points).

2) The body of your work should consist of one paragraph for each main point. Each main point should be supported by examples.

For example:(Point #1/Paragraph #1) "I think that a traveller to Cuzco would enjoy the beauty of its natural surroundings and would benefit from exploring these areas. One of the most amazing views of nature can be seen from MacchuPichu..." etc.

3) The essay needs a final paragraph with a good conclusion restating your point of view and your main points in a way that is memorable to your reader.

If you follow these simple points of organization and answer the topic question as it is written, you will be well on your way to a successful TOEFL essay.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff

Hello you all, and especially you Fativale, since I'm also peruvian.

Can anybody please rate my essay? Thanks.

I would recommend this visitor what most of my countrymen believe as the best place to visit in Peru, the ruins of Macchu Picchu. They are not famous only because of their beauty but also because of everything they represent for Peruvians.

Macchu Picchu is a complex of ruins that were built by the Inca Empire for ceremonial purposes, it is located in a beautiful region located between the Andes Range and the Amazon Rain Forest, so, while it is among high and steep mountains, its vegetation is very deep and lush, furthermore, there is a sort of canyon where you can see the big River Urubamba hundreds of meters below. Sunsets watched from the neighbor mountain, the higher Picchu Picchu are also worth to mention.

However, this place is much more famous for what it surrounds over its mere beauty. First of all, it is one of the biggest complex of ruins in Latin America and its constructions range from simple food warehouses to crafty temples made with huge stones, which leave you wondering how they did to carry and “glue” them. Second, this place is located on the borders of the territories the Inca Empire conquered (why didn’t they dare to keep exploring?) so that the Spanish did not discover it but an American explorer in 1911. And finally, maybe because of its magnificence, it is very common to hear people say that they feel like an additional and renewed energy, after visiting Macchu Picchu, almost as if this place is able to broaden people’s perspectives. It involves a lot of mysticism.

In conclusion, I think this foreign visitor would not only feel delighted visually but also feel more relaxed.