Urch Forums

#176: Holidays honor people or events. If you coul

Erin

• 2 weeks later...

This is my second attempt to write an essay but didn't come up with good ideas. I seriusly need to improve my writing skills and I would be glad if someone took trouble to read and evaluate this essay.

Holidays are declared for people to commemorate the contributions, sacrifices of people in various aspects or to honour a festive event. If I were to create a new holiday, I would create " World Doctor's Day' to honour all those doctors who sacrifice their time, health and personal lives to help the common people.

Every country had a public holiday on eve of a festival or to honour people who shed

their blood in the past in achieving freedom. The reason that I would honour doctors is that they sacrifice each and every day of their life to attend the needs of the common people.

Though there are awards and ceremonies for significant contributions of particularly erudite people for technological advancement in the field of medicine, those doctors who volunteer for their countries with still underdeveloped methods of sanitation dare to be amongst the sickest people. Doctors also help provide emotional support to the common people and help them grow strong. They do not hesitate to attend casualities in the midst of their personal life. I think that their contribution should be recognized.

To celebrate the day, all the people of the a particular city or town should hold a gathering to pronounce the sustained efforts of their town doctors for working towards the common good of all the people. A holiday should be declared for them so that they can spend thier time with their loved ones. A rally held in their honor would also serve to explain the prized position that doctors tend to create in the daily life of common people.

In conclusion, I would say that the a holiday in their favour would help people realize that they also being most common of individuals help bring about a valuable contribution in the life of people and form an integral part of the society and country as a whole.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Shirley

This is my second attempt to write an essay but didn't come up with good ideas. I seriusly need to improve my writing skills and I would be glad if someone took trouble to read and evaluate this essay.

Holidays are declared for people to commemorate the contributions, sacrifices of people in various aspects or to honour a festive event. If I were to create a new holiday, I would create " World Doctor's Day' to honour all those doctors who sacrifice their time, health and personal lives to help the common people.

Every country had a public holiday on eve of a festival or to honour people who shed

their blood in the past in achieving freedom. The reason that I would honour doctors is that they sacrifice each and every day of their life to attend the needs of the common people.

Though there are awards and ceremonies for significant contributions of particularly erudite people for technological advancement in the field of medicine, those doctors who volunteer for their countries with still underdeveloped methods of sanitation dare to be amongst the sickest people. Doctors also help provide emotional support to the common people and help them grow strong. They do not hesitate to attend casualities in the midst of their personal life. I think that their contribution should be recognized.

To celebrate the day, all the people of the a particular city or town should hold a gathering to pronounce the sustained efforts of their town doctors for working towards the common good of all the people. A holiday should be declared for them so that they can spend thier time with their loved ones. A rally held in their honor would also serve to explain the prized position that doctors tend to create in the daily life of common people.

In conclusion, I would say that the a holiday in their favour would help people realize that they also being most common of individuals help bring about a valuable contribution in the life of people and form an integral part of the society and country as a whole.

I have read your essay, but I am not sure if you still go on this website now, since your posted it in Jan.03. Anyway, I have some suggestions:

1. Common people may be better change to patients.

2. Sacriface--devote

3. Grow strong--grow strongly, or build up their confidence and retrieve their pleasure mood.

4. Some sentence maybe too long and not easy to understand.

5. the a particular city-- remove the or a, only one determiner is enough

Anything wrong, pls. let me know.

Please help verify my essay below, if anyone has time. Thank you in advance for your warm help.[heartbeat]

In modern society, middle-aged people are getting more and more busy, less and less they get to family reunion. They have been busy with work, study, social activities. Seldom do they pay attention to their old parents, sisters and brothers. The relationship among family members has been getting loser and colder. So if I could create a new holiday, I would suggest setting up a Family Reunion Day.

How could people celebrate it? On this day, the middle-aged couples go back to their parents¡¯ home, or invite their parents come to their own home. And don¡¯t forget there are many orphans and old single men live along without family. I suggest volunteer couples who have mercy on the lonely people pick up one or two of the old and the young to their family reunion. Much more love and care the lonely people need, don¡¯t they? By means of exchanging thanks cards, gifts and blessing, people can extend their relationship and express love with family.

Why is this holiday important for people? In my opinion, a family just likes a human body, and every part of body is surely important. Without the hand, mouth would eat nothing. Without the foot, the hand can fetch nothing. Only does every part of body co-operate each other, a human can easily and happily live. In contrast, if any part of body has got injured, the other part would take more workload than before. Only is each part healthy and flexible, other parts would feel comfortable in daily activities. As same as people¡¯s family, everyone plays a greatly important role in the unit. The love sources from family would offer more encouragement and self-confidence to people. It would urge people to spread more concern and love to friends, colleges, and lead people more success in career.

In summary, I wish the modern people offer more love to their family member, share more pleasure and help with relatives on the Family Reunion Day.

Hi Joy :),

Very fresh and original ideas!

In modern society, middle-aged people are getting more and more busy, less and less they get to family reunion. They have been busy with work, study and social activities. Seldom do they pay attention to their old parents, sisters and brothers. The relationship among family members has been getting loser and colder. So if I could create a new holiday, I would suggest setting up a Family Reunion Day.

Effective introduction! The reason originating the idea is very clear and logical.

How could people celebrate it? On this day, the middle-aged couples go back to their parents¡¯ home, or invite their parents come to their own home. And don¡¯t forget there are many orphans and old single men live along without family. I suggest volunteer couples who have mercy on the lonely people pick up one or two of the old and the young to their family reunion. Much more love and care the lonely people need, don¡¯t they? By means of exchanging thanks cards, gifts and blessing, people can extend their relationship and express love with family.

Ummm... pretty rational!

Why is this holiday important for people? In my opinion, a family is just likes a human body, [and every part of body] every part of which is surely important. Without the hand, the mouth would eat nothing. Without the foot, the hand can fetch nothing. Only does every part of his/her body co-operate with each other, a human can easily and happily live. In contrast, if any part of body has got injured, the other parts would take more workload than before. Only is each part healthy and flexible, other parts would feel comfortable in daily activities. As same as people¡¯s family, everyone plays a greatly important role in the unit. The love sources from the? family would offer more encouragement and self-confidence to the?people. It would urge people to spread more concern and love to friends and colleges, and lead people to more success in their?career.

Suitable examples, creative imagination, well-lead ideas!

In summary, I wish the modern people offered more love to their family members, share more pleasure and help with relatives on the Family Reunion Day.

It would be nicer and more balanced to lengthen the conclusion. And you should re-assure the positive aspects of the holiday in a more 'confident' way, like "I strongly believe that once the Family Reunion Day is celebrated, modern people can certainly offer more love to their family members and share more pleasure and help, not just with relatives but unlucky people as well."

****GRAMMAR****

Joy, your grammar is pretty good, yet there are still some major mistakes that shouldn't exist :). A few of them may not count, but a lot will sure be something.

Big mistake: "and" should be used to separate the final unit in the 'string':

X(1), X(2), X(3),...., X(N-1) and X(N).

By the way you shouldn't use a structure more than once in a paragraph, except when the ideas need to be described in such a literary way:

Without the hand, mouth would eat nothing. Without the foot, the hand can fetch nothing.

In this case, the repeat sounds cool, while:

Only does every part of body co-operate each other, a human can easily and happily live. In contrast, if any part of body has got injured, the other part would take more workload than before. Only is each part healthy and flexible, other parts would feel comfortable in daily activities.

Out of 3 sentences there exist 2 "Only..., ....". It would be very nice if you express the latter idea in a diffirent way ;).

Anyway your whole essay looks pretty good. I would give you a 5 for it :).

Get all 300, friend!

LDP

Originally posted by vertical_horizon

Get all 300, friend!

LDP

Hi LDP,

I wonder if I call your name like this?

Your encouragment gave me much confidence! How can I thank you for your help? I carefully read your comments, and I do need improve my poor grammer skills. The best efforts will be made due to your truly help.

Thanks again,

Joy

Hi LDP,

I wonder if I call your name like this?

Your encouragment gave me much confidence! How can I thank you for your help? I carefully read your comments, and I do need improve my poor grammer skills. The best efforts will be made due to your truly help.

Thanks again,

Joy

Thanks for the very nice thanks ;), Joy!

Well actually I'm not going to take any more TOEFL, one was more than enough :p. Yet I'm still glad to help other test-takers if I can, for I was (and am, too, of course :)) offered so much help from many TMians in studying.

Though I'm extremely busy these times, I'll try my best to read and comments the essays ;).

Good luck,

LDP

PS: You can call me just Phuong, that's my first name :).

• 5 months later...

176: Holidays honor people or events. If you could create a new holiday, what person or event would it honor and how would you want people to celebrate it? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

---------------------

Holidays honor people or events. If I could create a new holiday, It would honor for all grandparents in the world, and on that day we would give flowers, and presents for our loved grandparents.

I am a lucky person, I was grown up in a big family with my parents' and grandparents love. I know how grandmothers ,and grandfathers love their grandchildren. When I was a child, my grandmother took care of me while my parents were on work. When I went to sleep my mama told fairy tales. untill now still remember her musical voice to my ears, her tales made me have very nice dreams.

Everyspring, we celebrate mothers' day, and about a mounth later fathers' day. But there are no days for grandmothers and grandfathers. If I would create a holiday for them in a winter day. Our grands would be warm by the children they love. They would get greeting from their grandchildren to live long, to be healthy. The holiday would make them very happy.

Holidays are important, they make people relaxed, give chances for us to care about each other. For old people being cared is more important than anything else. It could last their lives longer and happier.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Erin Billy

#176: Holidays honor people or events. If you could create a new holiday, what person or event would it honor and how would you want people to celebrate it? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

[dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance]

There are many people and events, which can be honored by creating new holiday. But I would like to create a new holiday in honor of women. I would like the women's day as a new holiday.

March 7 is celebrated as International Women's Day in many countries. But that is not a holiday. Also not many people are aware that any such day is celebrated. Somewhere in big cities where there are women organizations, those organizations arrange functions on women's day. What about women staying in villages in developing or undeveloped countries? They do not even know that there is any such day. Like everyday they wake up in morning of March 7th and start working since then until they sleep without knowing that it is there day. These women need to be made aware of the modern women and their rights. If all the countries declare women’s day as a new holiday then everybody will come to know about it.

Furthermore I want people to celebrate it by paying their tributes to the women who struggled for their whole life for women rights. By paying our tributes to them we can remember them and their great work without which today it would not have been possible for me to write TOEFL and go in foreign countries for higher education. Also women can make some resolution on that day which will be beneficial for their country and can contribute towards their country.

Being a woman I have great respect for the women who devoted their life for women's liberalization. So I would like to create women's day as a holiday to pay my tributes to them who made our life easier to live. And want the new woman generation to take some inspiration from them.

• 5 weeks later...

Can you give comments to my essay?

If I had the power to create a new holiday, I would have a Friends' Day. We have celebrations and holidays for many respectful and great people. However, the ones give supports to us all the time, our friends, have no honor for all their supports. In addition, friendship is the most natural relationship among people, thus we should have a non-commerecial celebration for our buddies.

Firstly, as all people close to us are honored by some celebrations or holidays, it is obvious that we should have a speical day for our friendship. We have Father's Day and Mother's Day for our parents; We have Martin Luthur King's Day for the great leader; We have Christmas for Jesus; We even have Valentine's Day for our lovers. However, our friends, the ones who support us many times, and give us advices daily, are not honored at all. Without friends, we cannot overcome many milestones in our life. Friends, who are our colleges, classmates, or play mates, share a lot of experience with us. Therefore, we should have a holiday to honor such primitive and valuable relationship among human beings.

Additionally, we should celebrate this date in a special way. As friendship is one of the most primitive and natural relationship among human beings, we should celebrate it without in a natural way. Festivals are becoming more and more commericalized, and they are just golden chances for businessmen. We spent a lot of money to buy Christmas gifts, bought expensive rings and necklaces for our lovers on Valentine's Day, and had expensive dinners on Father's Day and Mother's Day. However, we should not allow Friends' Day to become one of these commercial festivals. We can have a picnic or a home-made dinner with our most valuable friends on that day.

In conclusion, friends, who have helped us overcome much hardship, worth our honors. We should celebrate Friends' Day in a simple and nature way. A dinner is enough to tell the ones who understand you much that you treasure the friendship with them.

Essay::

We have a lot of holidays celebrated throughout the world. Some honor events and some honor People. For example Thanksgiving holidays honor an event and Veterans day honor people. But most of the to honor a people a holiday is given in a calendar year. In India Mahatma Gandhi's Birthday , Jawaharlal Nehru's Birthday etc are celebrated to honor the person behind it and to remember and appreciate the great deeds these people have done to humankind.

Given an opportunity I would like to celebrate Mother Teresa's Birthday as the " World Poverty Abolition Day ". Mother Teresa being born a Yugoslavian dedicated her entire life to show care and affection to the poor, downtrodden and the sick in the streets of Calcutta. She was serving the poor and the destitutes for more than 85 years and has sent a message to the entire world that a person can live like the way she did. In her lifetime she has served the poor, and people with leprocy etc. which a normal person can never even think of. Only people of her stature can do something really great like what she did.

The way she served the poor elevated her to Motherhood, because no one cares for you better than your mother. Because of the love, care and affection she bestowed upon the needy everyone called her "Mother".

Many even now are following her footsteps in continuing the service she had left behind. Still there is a big missionary which toatlly devotes itself to care for the needy and the poor and the sick.

So by celebrating a holiday in Mother Teresa's name would pass on the message she had left that is to serve the needy and the poor and elevate her to the next level of greatness that is a SAINT.

On this holiday I would like people to set up blood donation camps. I would like them to collect charity in the form of money, food, clothes, medicines, toys for kids and books for all and distribute them among the needy and poor.

By doing this, though we cannot achieve the greatness of Mother Teresa, atleast we can honor her cause and make her soul feel proud of all caring humanbeings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSR

I posted this essay a week ago . But actually Idid not knowthe procedure for submitting the essays. This week I am seeing the same topic on the forum board. I have resubmitted the same essay under this topic. Mr. Erin pl evaluate my topic and give me suggestions. This is my very first essay.

Thankyou.

This is a model essay, hope this is useful for TOEFLers

October 24 is Union Nations Day. This day is noted in the calendars, but not observed as a holiday around the world. I want the entire world to celebrate the birth of the United Nations because of its attempts to promote peace, education, and health around the world.

Peace is the most important thing that we can have today. The sooner that we can stop war the sooner we can all have better lives. There are countries around the world that have been at war for generations. In some of these countries, UN Peacekeepers have temporarily stopped the violence so people can go about their lives. If this peace could be made lasting, the lives of these citizens would be much richer.

The UN actively works to promote education. Universal literacy is one of its important goals. Every child in the world deserves to know how to read and write. The UN is also involved in job training for adults. The age of information technology demands new job skills. The UN works with continuing education programs around the world so workers are not left out of the job market.

The UN has played an instrumental role in the eradication of smallpox. Polio vaccines and AIDS-awareness programs have also helped reduce the incidence of these diseases. There is a lot to be done in these areas.

Much of the work of the UN is unknown and underappreciated. If we want to live in a peaceful world, where every child can attend school and where every citizen has access to health care, we need to support the work of the UN. We need to recognize its importance and celebrate its birthday.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

There are lot of different holidays in my country, some of them are celebrated by the whole republic, some are just celebrated by particular part of community. I`m nearly sure, that whatever I name as a possible cause for a holiday, will be already existing somewhere in the world. So, I`ll talk about something that is not having much popularity among people, something that should be more widespread in our country.

I would like to celebrate «Day of vegetarianism, humanism and health». I believe that vegetarianism is natural for us, we are not predators, we can easily live without using meat.

I think in such day there should be lots of TV shows about vegetarian life and about how healthy it can be for a person to stop using meat, everywhere in the streets vegetarian dishes should be prepared and offered to citizens to show them that that kind of food can be very tasty. On that day all butcher houses should be closed. Everywhere special banners should be hanged, that will make people face what they are eating. People should come to know about all the famous people, who were or is vegetarian and about their thoughts on that topic. One of such thoughts I`ll even bring here:

Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends. ~George Bernard Shaw

We all call animals as our younger brothers, but how can we eat our brothers? Well, all that should be made clear for people and I believe that little by little the army of vegetarians will grow in our country. People will understand all pluses of that decision. It`ll be a big victory in the field of nature protection.

I would like that day to be celebrated on March 1, because it is the starting of spring, we can call it a starting of new life, life for our younger brothers, who have rights to live as much as we have.