Urch Forums

please rate: important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)

engsamah

Hi every one, my exam is on july second, and I'm getting nervous! Do you think I can get more than 4/6 in my essay? I don't have problem with the time, I wrote this one in 25min. please rate it for me. Thanks alot.

What are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)? Use specific details and examples to explain why these qualities are important.

A boss, or a supervisor, is the one who is incharge of most of a company's responsibilities. He is the one who makes serious decisions. And who controls the production line which consists of employees and the kind of work they have to accomplish. So that he has to know every single issue in that work, And has future plans to improve it. He has to be available most of the time and willing to work hard. He has to be close to his employees, understand their needs and problems, and be honest and friendly with them. All that will make him a good supervisor.

To be responsible for every thing in a company is not an easy task. A boss has to control these responsibilities so that the company can flourish and get the planned profit. The right decision in a serious issue should be taken wisely and cleverly. For example, my prior boss did not think carefully when he decided to employ four extra graphic designers with high salaries knowing that there are no projects planned for the next month and the recent employees are almost done with what they have at that time. This costed the company a lot that they had to fire them in addition to other couple of prior employees. This brings up another point, which is to know what to do next. A boss has to make good future plans but he does not have to expand his thoughts to the point that a company can not handle. An example, a supervisor and a company owner decided to expand his company by moving to a bigger place so he can produce more, he has a lot of projects in his mind, but the company found it self with too much load in its employees with paying much more renting and other expenses that the new location costed. Few months later the company was closed.

Some times a supervisor has a good control of his work but does not have the ability to interact with his workers. A boss has to be friendly and close to his employees. After all they are humen; they may make mistakes as well as get sick. They may have some certain misunderstanding between each other; a good boss can identify these problems and solve them. He has to be honest with them. My husband's prior director was disliked by almost all of the employees. He had good plans but no body could understand what his points were. It was like he was working alone. Now, after my husband became the director, every body run to him to complain and explain their mistakes. My husband feels it is too much and some problems are silly to talk about, but he thinks he has to listen so that he can be close enough to them. The other day one of the workers did not complete his job complaining to others that he has more than he can do, when my husband told him to do them this time and he will reduce the load for him next time, the worker jumped to his work as it's a new day, and every body was happy.

To sum up, a good supervisor has to understand his responsibilities and deal with them carefully. He should have good future strategies besides having good control of the work environment. He has to understand his employees’ personalities, treat them as friends and make sure they understand his views.

Engsamah, this is a good essay.

My suggestions:

(1) the only thing I have to say is that your language at times seems too informal for a TWE essay. This isnt a fault in itself, but you seem capable of so much more. So I would urge you to work on this. Read the essays posted here and get ideas.

(2)only one typo in the essay, but a very basic word which you shouldnt have got wrong (human). Keep time at the end to check your word on D-day so you can correct such things.

(3)Examples are your strong point. Keep up the good work on that front! :)

(4) and remember about not mentioning too much too soon in the intro.

Good luck. With just a little bit of effort, I am sure you will do very well on the 2nd.

What are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)? Use specific details and examples to explain why these qualities are important.

A boss, or a supervisor, is the one who is incharge of most of a company's responsibilities. He is the one who makes serious decisions. And who[He] controls the production line which consists of employees and the kind of work they have to accomplish. So that[not needed[]he has to know every single issue in[regarding] And has future plans to improve it. He has to be available most of the time and willing to work hard. He has to be close to his employees, understand their needs and problems, and be honest and friendly with them. All that will make him a good supervisor.

[this is good. but you have mentioned too many points too early. someone in this forum mentioned to me, when I submitted one of my essays " we're not here to drop bombs but to flood the reader's senses gradually".]

To be responsible for every thing in a company is not an easy task. A boss has to control these responsibilities so that the company can flourish and get the planned profit[redundant]. The right decision in a serious issue should be taken wisely and cleverly. For example, my prior boss did not think carefully when he decided to employ four extra graphic designers with high salaries knowing that there are no projects planned for the next month and the recent employees are almost done with what they have at that time. This costed[cost] the company a lot that they had to fire them[sounds informal][try "the new employees were fired, in addition to that, two older employess also lost their jobs as a result of the manager's lack of foresight" or somethingt like that] in addition to other couple of prior employees. This brings up another point, which is to know what to do next.[again, sounds informal] A boss has to make good future plans but he does not have to expand his thoughts to the point that a company can not handle[not needed, in my opinion]. An example, a supervisor and a company owner decided to expand his company by moving to a bigger place so he can produce more, he has a lot of projects in his mind, but the company found it self with too much load in its employees with paying much more renting and other expenses that the new location costed[cost]. Few months later the company was closed.

[ good examples. you have two main points here, one is about decision making, and another about not biting off more than you can chew. break it up. you can make this into two paragraphs easily.]

Some times a supervisor has a good control of his work but does not have the ability to interact with his workers. A boss has to be friendly and close to his employees. After all they are humen[human]; they may make mistakes as well as get sick[ the flow is missing here. dont club making mistakes and getting sick in one sentence]. They may have some certain misunderstanding between each other;[full stop] a good boss can identify these problems and solve them. He has to be honest with them[be specific "employees"]. My husband's prior director was disliked by almost all of the employees. He had good plans but no body could understand what his points were. It was like he was working alone[informal. modify]. Now, after my husband became the director, every body run to him to complain and explain their mistakes[approaches him to complain about issues, and to discuss about their mistakes and the like".]. My husband feels it is too much and some problems are silly to talk about, but he thinks he has to listen so that he can be close enough to them. The other day one of the workers did not complete his job complaining to others that he has more than he can do, when my husband told him to do them this time and he will reduce the load for him next time, the worker jumped to his work as it's a new day, and every body was happy.[ very good example. But it sounds to me as though you are "telling" me all this, as opposed to "writing" it as part of an essay]

To sum up, a good supervisor has to understand his responsibilities and deal with them carefully. He should have good future strategies besides having good control of the work environment. He has to understand his employees’ personalities, treat them as friends and make sure they understand his views.

[beautiful ending.]

thank u ish for your response, put I have some comments

1. regarding my language, I'm not sure I have enough time to improve it, I always afraid to use strong words, I feel I could manage my grammer better if I use simple words. do you think this will affect alot on my grade? and what do you suggest to do to improve this? because I'll prepare for GRE next.

2. as I said, I wrote this less than 25 min so I think I have enough time to check my silly mistakes as (human).. don't know why I wrote it this way!

3. when I mension an example I feel I write too much about one point. I'm not sure how to put alot of examples without talking about each one more than a line?!

4. I read this somewhere:

Form the introduction:

- restate the question, and

- write the thesis by:

- answering the question, and

- giving at least 3 reasons why

I tried to make the same, but may be I fail.

Since my exam is too close, do you think I can get higher than 4/6 if I wrote similar to this one? I'm afraid to have 3 on my essay:eek:

Thanks alot for all your help.

1. regarding my language, I'm not sure I have enough time to improve it, I always afraid to use strong words, I feel I could manage my grammer better if I use simple words. do you think this will affect alot on my grade? and what do you suggest to do to improve this? because I'll prepare for GRE next.

using simple language is perfectly okay. A terse style will definitely be appreciated.:)I didnt mean that you must use "Gre" like words or bombastic language when I remarked about your essay. I felt the tone of your sentences at some places was informal, and my remark had nothing to do with the "strength" of the words used by you. Your language is perfectly okay.

2. as I said, I wrote this less than 25 min so I think I have enough time to check my silly mistakes as (human).. don't know why I wrote it this way!

good!

3. when I mension an example I feel I write too much about one point. I'm not sure how to put alot of examples without talking about each one more than a line?!

do you really want to rush through examples, giving each just one line? I think that would be unwise.It would totally disrupt the flow of your ideas, if you keep jumping from one examples to the other. Why dont you choose the best two or three from your list of examples and write a small paragraph about each? You dont seem to have a problem with ideas, so just choose your strongest points and write away!

4. I read this somewhere:

Form the introduction:

- restate the question, and

- write the thesis by:

- answering the question, and

- giving at least 3 reasons why

I tried to make the same, but may be I fail.

"fail" is a strong word, engsamah. I liked your work! You'll do well. Chill.

Since my exam is too close, do you think I can get higher than 4/6 if I wrote similar to this one? I'm afraid to have 3 on my essay:eek:

I am not sure about the grades Engsamah. I've never given anyone a "number" to value their essays.opinions are more important, i think.

Keep writing the way you do, and be confident. I personally do not think you will end up with a three :) You'll do much better than that!

Thanks alot for all your help.

you're welcome. :)

GOOD LUCK!