Urch Forums

#073: Some people say that computers have made...

Wanee

#073. Some people say that computers have made life easier and more convenient. Other people say that computers have made life more complex and stressful. What is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Some people say that the computer have made life easier and more convenient,but at the same time,the other people say that the computer have made life more complex and stressful.I think all of the above is right.

Firstly,computer have made life easier and convenient.From our everyday's life,we know that the computer have made life more convenient,when we are in the other city,we can send the email or through the chat software to have good contact with our family or our company.The other example,the computer play a very importany role in the scientific calculation,through the fast-calculating computer we can do our work within very little time,this is very important in the military or the oil industry.

On the other hand,the computer make the life stressful and more complex too.Because the computer's fast speed in the information procurement,we like to surf in the internet to find the interesting things or the daily news,and we are so concentrated in the computer that we will feel anxiety or stress in the end.At the same time,because the computer technology is the recent thing,many people is not familiar to how to use the computer.Such as in the ATM machine,they find that it is difficult to use the computer to withdraw money.Some people are afraid that computer will harm their health,that will make their feel anxiety or stressful.

So according to the discussion above,the computer has the advantage and the disadvantage too,what we can do is to make the best use of the computer and try to avoid the backfire of the computer,then the computer technology will benefit us the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people say that computers have made life easier and more convenient. Other people say that computers have made life more complex and stressful. What is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Some feedback please...

Computers have a tremendous effect on our lives. I fail to see disadvantages in relying on computers. As long as computers help us improve our lifestyle and help us being constantly well informed, I think that computers are doing exactly what people have created them for in the first place.

Since the day, I bought myself a computer and I connected it to the internet, my life has become much easier. I used to waste time going downtown and pay my bills or do some other domestic activities like going to the market for example. Now, because I have a computer I do all this in an eye blink just by clicking up and down the monitor.

Relying on computers has made my life more bearable at work too. I am the person in charged to calculate the salary to over two hundred people working at the same factory as I am. This is not a piece of cake, since all the time appears all kind of changes in legislation or other significant modifications in every employee activity. Before the supervisor bought me a computer, I used to finish all the calculi in about four days of hard work, and sometimes I used to make miscalculations. Now because I use a computer I do this in 3 hours tops.

With the help of my computer, I save myself time and effort and I am always well informed. As long as computers help improving my lifestyle and help me be more efficient at work, I consider that, disadvantages like the fact that computers are stressful or too complex seem ridiculous and trivial.

• 2 months later...

There are some people that allege that computers have made our life more stressful for us. However I believe computers are a major scientific advance that enhanced our lives. The computer is a tool like a regular screwdriver and if you use it properly, it can provide all that you need.

First of all, the computer was developed as a machine for complex calculus. After all, the abacus is the ancestor of this machine. Nowadays computers can process millions of operations a second. A mainframe powerful server does more computations than has our entire civilization done in the last 2000 years. Due to this power the computer became an indispensable asset for mathematicians or any scientist. The researchers from any field of knowledge must know how to use the computer and harvest its potential. For instance the DNA decoding could not have been possible without the power of computers. Probably a cure for cancer will be found in the same way.

Secondly, the computer has a vital role in our economy. Most of the commercial transactions rely on computer networks. All the stocks or airports are interrelated by a dense web of digital links. Any plant uses more or less a computer and there are numerous factories that have only a few employees that supervise the work of the machines. This informational technology has led us to a new era that of information. Thanks to computers information has a capital impact on everything around us. All of these accelerated the blooming of our civilization.

Thirdly, an important area of our life is education or culture. Since computers took over traditional teaching techniques, our children can learn faster and most of all better things that we struggle to understand. For example you have millions of books at your finger tips you just need a computer and an Internet connection. This huge library is an infinite source of knowledge. You only need to want to learn. Now you do not have any other obstacle in your way. The Internet will certainly change our education and the people’s wealth it brings is already colossal.

Finally, nowadays nations communicate and collaborate much more than in the past. We have understood that only with a united effort we will continue to flourish. The computer plays a vital part in this unity as well. There is no boundary between France and Japan in the virtual space. You can contact online a person from the other end of the world. Most of all you can meat many people by surfing or even playing games. In order for this communication to take place you need to use a common language. Therefore the computer and later a network of computers provided us with the opportunity to learn how to speak with a foreigner.

I concur that the computer is a major tool and in the next century will probably become the decisive factor in every activity. We should not be afraid of something that we do not fully understand. After all we use cars that many of us do not know how to use. Without the computer probably we will be extinct in a few hundred years.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everybody! I am a newbie to TWE test.... please give me some comments and advices. Thanks, thanks, thanks .... million thanks!!!

This is the very first essay I wrote for the TWE. I've tried my best to write it and spend a lot of time. Infact, I am overtime, a lot. :p. I try to starts up at a slow pace, and accelerate it gradully. Because I am not famillier with words and managing the sentence. I start from a topic that is related to, because I am a computer sciense student, and it would be a bit easy for me ....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nowadays, computer plays a vital role that is not replaceable in almost every realm of this era. The new telephone network is largely based on computer technology; Internet, the colossal web that connects the whole world is nothing more but a huge collection of computer networks. It might be not presumptuous to claim, the computer is the invisible core center of our society. But still, some people are reluctant to take the advantage of the computer technology. They doubts about whether it is worth to spend so much money and time to learn and use computer. Moreover, some may even regard computer as anything but a useful tool that can make their life easier and more comfortable. However, as a student whose major is Computer Science, I cannot agree with them.

Admittedly people spend more and more time on computers, when they became the major tools in our work and daily life. Also, a lot of money and resources are put in training people to use computer, purchasing and maintaining the machines. Nevertheless, from the point of my view, it's more of a highly reward investment. Computer, first developed as a machines for calculation purpose, nowadays become an omnipotent powerful instrument, which extends human intelligent and physical. It is capable of processing highly complex, repetitive and tedious jobs with remarkable reliability and efficient, therefore cutting the cost and increasing the productivity. To better significant my point, I will provide a series of examples.

A typical example is the computer automation technology in office. Word processors are no doubt the powerful tools for secretaries. Some of them have some artificial intelligence to do the proof reading job -- automatically line out your grammar and spelling mistakes. In the product line of a factory, machines and robots that are controlled by computer work flawlessly and decrease the time to make a product. They can work perfectly and dramatically shorten the time of making a product, thus to be able to maximize the profit. Thanks to the computer network technology, it will only take a second to send a message from Paris to New York through Internet. Some may argue that the conventional way -- telegraph, can transport message in light speed. But there is no other technology you could found as accessible as nowadays Information Technology. On the World Wide Web, millions electronic mails are exchanged in every single minute; using the Instant Messengers, such as ICQ, people now feel no more surprise to have some online chat with international friends. Rely on this giant network, people who are distant in physical location can communicate, cooperate and united together. So how could someone say that computer is merely a useless tool that only makes life more complicated and stressful?

Though computer is not intelligently enough to be a foolproof tool to use, the IT industry already has great advancement in making them more accessible and user friendly to majority of people. Comparing to the convenient you gained from learning how to use computer, it’s worth for you to put sometime and money on the computer, and some day you will realize that using computer is not only make things more convenient and easier but also fun!

Stress is the by-product of modern lifestyle. Though computers are an essential part of the modern life yet they cannot be implicated with creating stress. In fact there are reasons to believe that computers have reduced stress and anxiety, besides making life convenient, I shall discuss these here.

The convenience of a word processing program over the typewriter cannot be emphasized enough. It is so much more fast, accurate and flexible that typewriters are practically obsolete. So is the case with so many other systems. Manual bookkeeping and accounting, library management, inventory management are just some of the simpler tasks that computers are able to perform efficiently. More complicated tasks such as the space program management, nuclear research, brain surgery etc. are virtually impossible without the computers.

The internet could be called the biggest boon of the modern society. The relief of being able to communicate to the loved ones in real time – being able to see them actually through the web camera- would not be possible without computers. To provide a simple example- Students from all over the world are able to apply to US universities through online applications conveniently. Besides, they are able to check the status of their application online, rather than waiting for days or even months, for the post to arrive.

Informed decisions are made possible by computers. A huge amount of information about practically everything under the sun is available on the internet. It only takes a couple of minutes to browse on the internet to reach the required details. Earlier, it would require some visits to the libraries, postal contacts to the right people and a lot of time (not to mention stress), to get the requisite data.

Finally, I would say that computer has proved to be a stress reliever rather than a creator and is absolutely indispensable to modern life.