Urch Forums

Most important characteristics in a teacher...

myrkul

Most important characteristics in a teacher...

-------------

Many people say that the world is in the age of knowledge. In this period, education has become very important. As we all know, education needs teachers, students and teaching materials. If you ask me, teacher is the most important factor among all other factors. This importance makes the teacher's characteristics more important. I think the ideal teacher must be both friendly and authoritarian.

Firstly, I believe that the meaning of education has changed in our age. Before us, education was standard. There were one teacher and lots of students in classrooms and the teacher was not aware of the student's characteristics. On the other hand, today I think the teachers should know their students personally in order to guide them. Thus, a teacher should be a friend of the student.

Secondly, there must be a limit of the friendship between the students and the teacher. Thus, the teacher must be authoritarian. Otherwise, the students will not listen the teacher. The teacher should punish the students if it is needed.

To sum up, I think that the best teacher is the one who balances authority and friendship. As I said before, in the age of knowledge, teachers will lead us to the future and the characteristics of the teacher is a very important factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi myrkul,

Ifeel Your essay is ok. giving examples will make your essay for lively.your conclusion is good.

In my view you can get somewhere between 4.5-5..

Now please rate my essay on the same topic

Thanks

RsShruthi

A good school teacher makes a difference in every student’s life in a way they’ll remember them for their life time. The school teacher should possess some important qualities in order to call him a good teacher. First and foremost is he should have good teaching skills and he should know how to teach his students in an effective manner. If a school teacher has good teaching skills every student would love to attend his class. In my experience , when I was doing my 12th grade we used to wait for Zoology classes as my zoology teacher taught us very nicely in a way it helped us to gain good marks.

Secondly, a good teacher should be able to communicate well, understand the needs of the students.

He should be approachable in a friendly manner. For example, if a student gets any doubt in his subject obviously he will go to a good teacher who is friendly, certainly not with the rough teacher.

My third point is more valuable for a good teacher that is humour. Humour means a lot to school going children. Students can very well understand the topic if a teacher teaches with a little bit of humour. Students will be more attentive and they can grasp well.

Impartiality or neutral to everybody irrespective of student’s knowledge is another important quality a good teacher should possess. I have heard from people that there are teachers showing partiality. For example if a student is bright they are lenient in some ways but not the same with dull students.

The last one is a good teacher should have good manners and good dressing sense. He should maintain his character out side of the school. A teacher who has all these qualities can be called as a good school teacher and he can be a role model for many.

• Like 1

Thank you myrkul for having posted your essay here for everybody's reference =). And thanks to rsshruthi for your comments.

Myrkul, I think your grammar is quite good, which is a very strong point. But pardon me for frankly speaking, the essay really need to be worked on ideas and arguments. I will go point by point as followed.

Many people say that the world is in the age of knowledge. In this period, education has become very important. As we all know, education needs teachers, students and teaching materials. If you ask me, teacher is the most important factor among all other factors. This importance makes the teacher's characteristics more important. I think the ideal teacher must be both friendly and authoritarian.

The introduction is irrelevantly lengthy. Should I rewrite it, I would only keep the last sentence. The second sentence is somewhat a fact that needs not to be stated. The next 2 sentences are off-topic I must say.

Firstly, I believe that the meaning of education has changed in our age. Before us, education was standard. There were one teacher and lots of students in classrooms and the teacher was not aware of the student's characteristics. On the other hand, today I think the teachers should know their students personally in order to guide them. Thus, a teacher should be a friend of the student.

The points are still not clear in this paragraph. You should focus on "why a teacher should be friendly" other than describing how the teachers were in the past. Since you haven't stated what bad did come from being not friendly, the advice "teachers should know their students personally" does not sound so reasonable to me :hmm:.

Secondly, there must be a limit of the friendship between the students and the teacher. Thus, the teacher must be authoritarian. Otherwise, the students will not listen the teacher. The teacher should punish the students if it is needed.

This is also a weak chain of arguments. The point is there but you have to illustrate it more, especially on the linkage between the 2nd and he 3rd sentences (which is the key part of the paragraph). You may write about the benefits it will bring when the students listen to their teachers also.

To sum up, I think that the best teacher is the one who balances authority and friendship. As I said before, in the age of knowledge, teachers will lead us to the future and the characteristics of the teacher is a very important factor.

The conclusion is acceptable.

As for the score, I would give the essay a 3.5/6.0 (I'm not an easy person when it comes to rating, I'm sorry Myrkul :D).

------------------------------------

Here comes Rsshruthi =).

I assume you forgot an "Enter" in the first paragraph? Cuz I feel it's the combination of the intro and the first supporting paragraph itself, which is almost unacceptable. But I realize the essay didn't have a conclusion either. This can cause very big mark-deduction for you :rolleyes:. Please find my other comments as below.

A good school teacher makes a difference in every student’s life in a way they’ll (--> they may) remember them for their life time. The school teacher should possess some important qualities in order to call him a good teacher.

The first sentence should not be that confirmative, since it can invite a lot of counter-arguments. And buddy please remember NEVER EVER EVER use the short form in your essay like "they'll". It'll just make your essay look unprofessional.

First and foremost is he should have good teaching skills and he should know how to teach his students in an effective manner. If a school teacher has good teaching skills every student would love to attend his class. In my experience , when I was doing my 12th grade we used to wait for Zoology classes as my zoology teacher taught us very nicely in a way it helped us to gain good marks.

People can accuse you of gender-discrimination here :D. You'd better use "s/he" instead of just "he". The example is acceptable.

Secondly, a good teacher should be able to communicate well and understand the needs of the students. He should be approachable in a friendly manner. For example, if a student gets any doubt in his subject obviously he will go to a good teacher who is friendly, certainly not with the rough teacher.

My third point is more valuable for a good teacher that is humour. Humour means a lot to school going children. Students can very well understand the topic if a teacher teaches them with a little bit of humour. Students will be more attentive and they can grasp well.

The first sentence has phrasing problem. And be careful, the arguments here might require scientific proof.

Impartiality or being neutral to everybody irrespective of student’s knowledge is another important quality a good teacher should possess. I have heard from people that there are teachers showing partiality. For example if a student is bright they are lenient in some ways but not the same with dull students.

Good point. But you need to illustrate more on the bad effects of a teacher's being biased towards some certain students in order to strengthen the arguments.

The last one is a good teacher should have good manners and good dressing sense. He should maintain his character out side of the school.

A teacher who has all these qualities can be called as a good school teacher and he can be a role model for many.

Again, the last sentence should be extracted to form the conclusion. You seem to have so many points and ideas to say, which is a good thing. But I suggest you choose only the 3 most salient of them to write more about, instead of discussing 5 points in 5 short paragraphs.

If the introduction and conclusion are clearly seperated as above, I would give this essay a 4.5+/6.0.

All the very best to both of you :grad:,

Phuong

• 2 weeks later...