Urch Forums

Topic 4-Compare knowledge gained from experience with knowledge from books

Azi

It has been said, “Not everything that is learned is contained in books.” Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

We gain our knowledge about our lives and the world around us from two sources: from books and from experience. These two resources are both important; however, most of our knowledge is based on our participation in real world situations.

Of course, reading books form a wide range of our knowledge. We acquire many knowledge about law, politics, sociology, mathematics, and physics when we read. We could use other people’s information and experience that it is very difficult or impossible to do by ourselves such as journey to the space. In addition, with reading great stories of real people’s lives, we can get many experiences about how they solve their daily life problems, and how they use failure to achieve success in the future. These are valuable lessons an individual needs to learn in this lifetime.

Nevertheless, as the old proverb says, “experience is the best teacher” .There are many types of knowledge that people can not obtain through reading books. Books don’t deal with such things as love and care feelings, tastes of foods, and music tones. In addition, there are many skills that we can learn from practice. It is useless reading a book to learn swimming, to drive a car, and to ride a bicycle. These skills should gain practical and we should do them by ourselves. Also, it is obvious that learning from practice is easier than learning from books.

In conclusion, both learning sources, books and experience, are important for us. But in my opinion knowledge from experience is more important. Experience is a practical way to find theoretical knowledge that gained from books is real or not. In addition, many important aspect of our personality such as our feelings and skills develop through experience.

Hi there Azi :),

Thanks for your post. The thing I like about your essay is your clear stand of view and that it has no typos. But as far as I can see, it still has some problems in terms of organizing, reasoning and grammars.

When it comes to the organization of the essay, you have 4 clear-cut paragraphs, which are arranged understandably. The first 3 are okey with me; but for the conclusion, you have put in an argument that has not really been discussed before:

Experience is a practical way to find theoretical knowledge that gained from books is real or not.

And this needs more illustration in the 3rd paragraph:

In addition, many important aspect of our personality such as our feelings and skills develop through experience.

As for reasoning, the 3rd paragraph has some problems. The following arguments are very attackable, because you provide no examples and support reasons:

In addition, there are many skills that we can learn from practice. It is useless reading a book to learn swimming, to drive a car, and to ride a bicycle.

We "can learn" those skills from practice doesn't mean "we can't" do it using books. You can learn swimming by reading a book teaching to swim first, and then practising it (the book is still useful somehow).

These skills should gain practical and we should do them by ourselves.

Why "should"? If you replace "should" by "can", that is acceptable, but this is not persuasive enough to me.

Also, it is obvious that learning from practice is easier than learning from books.

Um um, it is not obvious when you just state it like that without any further arguments.

And for the grammar thingy, I have corrected some of the mistakes below for you :). One more small thing, can you use less "in addition"? 3 times in one essay, not a very good way to prove your vocab knowledge hah :D.

Okey, when it comes to marking, I would give the essay a 4.0/6.0. But I do think you can raise it up to over 5.0 if you'd be just a bit more careful.

Best of the best :grad:,

Phuong

It has been said, “Not everything that is learned is contained in books.” Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

We gain our knowledge about our lives and the world around us from two sources: from books and from experience. These two resources are both important; however, most of our knowledge is based on our participation in real world situations.

Of course, reading books form a wide range of our knowledge. We acquire many knowledge about law, politics, sociology, mathematics, and physics when we read. We could use other people’s information and experiences that (omit it) are very difficult or impossible to obtain (omit do, wrong use of word) by ourselves such as journey to the space. In addition, (omit with) by reading great stories of real people’s lives, we can get many experiences about how they solve their daily life problems, and how they use failure to achieve success in the future. These are valuable lessons an individual needs to learn in this lifetime.

Nevertheless, as the old proverb says, “experience is the best teacher” (not a complete sentense).There are many types of knowledge that people can not obtain through reading books. Books don’t deal with such things as love and care feelings, tastes of foods, and music tones. In addition, there are many skills that we can learn from practice. It is useless reading a book to learn swimming, to drive a car, and to ride a bicycle. These skills should be gained practically and we should do them by ourselves. Also, it is obvious that learning from practice is easier than learning from books.

In conclusion, both learning sources, books and experience, are important for us. But in my opinion, knowledge from experience is more important. Experience is a practical way to find whether theoretical knowledge (omit that) gained from books is real or not. In addition, many important aspects of our personality such as our feelings and skills develop through experience.

• 2 years later...

hello!

This topic is old in 2006, but I want to change a little bit. You all need to read the question carefully.

In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?
Because of this question, in your thesis statement has to write such as

Knowledge gained from experience is more important than knowledge gained from books
or

opposite
We all know both of them are important, but in this essay, we have to explain which one is more important than the other one.

I have to take 1 point away. hehe

--------------------

Hey Phuong, you o dau vay?