Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Topic 153: A zoo has no useful purpose. (Agree/Disagree)

Good post? Yes | No

Topic 153: A zoo has no useful purpose. (Agree/Disagree)

Sponsored Ad:
    Surely almost every person has gone to a zoo at least once in his or her lifetime. Some of these people like the opportunity to see rare animals from different continents live; others feel sorry because of the bad conditions in which some species are being kept. Should zoos be closed and the animals returned in their natural habitats or not?

Most people like animals and they would love to get closer to them, explore their outlook, habits and skills. That is what zoos are for - to display different species in a way encyclopedias and television cannot. The sight of the roaring lion, the mighty elephant or the elegant panther is really astonishing, especially for children. Going to a zoo is an experience hard to forget, as it is unique - most people just cannot afford going to a specific animal's home country in order to observe it in its natural surroundings.

On the other hand, the lack of natural environment is indeed what makes the debate about zoos so ardent. Most animals' cages are just too small for the creatures to feel comfortable, run or even walk a long distance. Animals are literally trapped in their small metal cages for lifetime, like prisoners. Furthermore, there is always the possibility that some species could be disturbed by visitors or even poisoned with bad food if the security in the zoo is not good enough. Depriving a living thing of its freedom is an act many people consider brutal and immoral.

In conclusion, it is true that zoos provide a unique chance for many people to explore different species closely and in an interesting manner. But if these facilities are to remain, owners must make the conditions in zoos much more appropriate for animals by enlarging their cages and providing medical treatment if necessary.

Life Activist! vertical_horizon's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi Codename Gordon!

Personally I think yours is a good essay in terms of both grammar and logic. It is perfectly normal if you do not clearly agree or disagree with the statement. You have done a good job in demonstrating clearly both sides of the coin. The conclusion is very good, since it states your stand in a very reasonable way.

There are just some ideas I would like to share as reference for the 2nd paragraph. Actually exhibition is just one function of zoos. Zoos also are the places where scientists can study about animal behaviors and related subjects (and usually when an animal dies, they will perform operations on the body for scientific purposes). A zoo can be a very place to protect endangered animals and plants, too.

Overall I like your neat and clear essay very much. A 5.5/6.0 from me.
    - What am I doing here? They say my famous lover held down my husband while I chopped off his head. But it isn't true, I am innocent. I don't know why Uncle Sam says I did it. I tried to explain it at the police station but they didn't understand me.

- Yes, but did ya do it?

-*Uh*uh*. Not..... guilty!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks for rating! I will have your suggestions in mind if I get this topic on the TWE.

Life Activist! vertical_horizon's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    You're welcome . I believe you'll ace it easily!
    - What am I doing here? They say my famous lover held down my husband while I chopped off his head. But it isn't true, I am innocent. I don't know why Uncle Sam says I did it. I tried to explain it at the police station but they didn't understand me.

- Yes, but did ya do it?

-*Uh*uh*. Not..... guilty!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information