Urch Forums

26 - Does the neighborhood needs a movie theater?

mzalutski

Here is my essay. That's not exactly how I feel abut the topic, but just tried to choose the opposite opinion and see what I could do.

Anyone who is interested, please have a look. All notes are welcome! :)

TOPIC: It has recently been announced that a new movie theater may be

built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan?

Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Although people's fascination with cinema is quite understandable, the fact that people still go to movie theaters remains mystery to me. With the development of sophisticated TV-sets and video recorders everybody can enjoy the movie in his/her comfortable home environment. Thus, the prospect of building a new movie theater, in my opinion, does no make sense. Besides, a new theater can even harm my community.

For one thing, the building of a new cinema is, in my humble estimation, a waste of money, which could be spent on other more vital needs of my community. Nowadays, every household has at least one television set. Video recorders are also not a wonder any more. Some people even have sophisticated systems called 'home theaters'. Besides, I think, it is hard to enjoy the movie in the movie theater where someone next to you is chewing the popcorn and drinking Cola.

Secondly, a new movie theater will attract more people in my neighborhood. This can lead to crowds of people, traffic jams and shortage of parking place, air and noise pollution. Living in the community filled with hustle-bustle can become quite unpleasant.

Last but not least, a new movie theater is able to affect people of the area in another way. Additional facility for entertainment can make people become lazier and idler. It is very easy to get used to having fan. Eventually, children will get lower marks at school; the adults will experience problems at work. I like the idea that my community is based on labor not entertainment.

In the final analysis, I am not against cinema in general but I would not like a new movie theater to be built in my neighborhood. The disadvantages are congestion and interference in the basis of my community. I prefer my community to be the way it is.

• 3 weeks later...

TOPIC: It has recently been announced that a new movie theater may be

built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan?

Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Although people's fascination with cinema is quite understandable, the fact that people still go to movie theaters remains a mystery to me. With the development of sophisticated TV-sets and video recorders, everybody can enjoy the movie in his/her comfortable home environment. Thus, the prospect of building a new movie theater, in my opinion, does not make sense. Besides, a new theater can even harm my community.

For one thing, the building of a new cinema is, in my humble estimation, a waste of money, which could be spent on other more vital needs of my community. Nowadays, every household has at least one television set. Video recorders are also not a wonder any more. Some people even have sophisticated systems called 'home theaters'. Besides, I think, it is hard to enjoy the movie in the movie theater where someone next to you is chewing the popcorn and drinking Cola.

Secondly, a new movie theater will attract more people in my neighborhood. This can lead to crowds of people, traffic jams and shortage of parking place, air and noise pollution. Living in the community filled with hustle-bustle can become quite unpleasant.

Last but not least, a new movie theater is able to affect the people of the area in another way. An additional facility for entertainment can make people become lazier and idler. It is very easy to get used to having fun. Eventually, children will get lower marks at school; the adults will experience problems at work. I like the idea that my community is based on labor, not entertainment.

In the final analysis, I am not against cinema in general but I would not like a new movie theater to be built in my neighborhood. The disadvantages are congestion and interference in the basis of my community. I prefer my community to be the way it is.

In my opinion, this is a very good essay. The mistakes you've made are so insignificant that I'm ashamed of even mentioning them. :p The only thing this work needs is a few specific examples. You can say what the more vital needs of your community are with two or three words. Or you could add some comments from personal experience like: "I went to a cinema yesterday and was really disappointed."

By the way, I love cinema too and I am really sorry that there isn't a functioning movie theater in my town. :(

Rating: 5.5/6.

• Like 1

Thank you, Codename Gordon for your comments... and high score ;)

I liked your idea of mentioning the real needs of my neighborhood. Although it does not concern the topic directly, but can make my essay better.

And yes, I have some troubles with articles :(

Do you think it can significantly lower my score?

Regards.