Urch Forums

54 - Should one judge a person by external appearances

mzalutski

That's it folks! :) I've finally decided to pay attention to time when I write essays. That essay was done within 30 min. period. I corrected the spelling though. I wanna a strict score :)

It is on the interesting topic. Recently I heard an idiom that kind of fits this topic's idea: "Don't judge a book by its cover"

OK. So the topic...

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? One should

never judge a person by external appearances. Use specific reasons

and details to support your answer.

When we meet someone we always pay attention to the person's outfit, that is his or her external appearances. Too often we hurry to make up our minds about the person on the account of his or her clothes or look. This sure can give us some information about the individual. However, I do not think we should judge the man or women by external appearances, because we cannot get inside of him or her and can be easily deceived.

To begin with, an individuality is a too complicated thing to make your mind about it on the external appearance. Humans consist of two sides: external, which is visible and internal which can be seen so easily. Therefore, in order to know that internal side we should take our time to get to know the person better.

Moreover, the appearance is always tied to the phenomenon of the first impression. The first impression can be false. The best example is the "love from the first sight". When you meet someone who is physically attractive you tend to attribute other good qualities to him or her. This can be not necessarily true.

Disregarding the feeling you get on the account of external appearances is also a mistake. The external appearance can serve you in gaining the initial information about someone you have met for the first time. Nevertheless, we should not trust that information very much. It can turn out to be true or false.

In conclusion, I do not think it is a good idea to judge someone by the appearance. It is too complicated to know all the aspects of the person by his or her outfit. There are potential pit falls. We should rather use this information to examine the person further and make a fuller picture of his or her character.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Here my try.

- Vocabulary: good

- Grammar & structure: good

- Ideas: I think you should give more examples or explain more to support your ideas in each paragraph. The controlling idea of the fourth paragraph is not clear to me.

- No. of words: I haven't counted yet, but it looks quite short

Hi,

- Ideas: I think you should give more examples or explain more to support your ideas in each paragraph.

Yeah, examples are important, but I tend NOT to be too personal in my essays. Maybe it is not a good idea... :hmm:

Hi,

The controlling idea of the fourth paragraph is not clear to me.

Well, this idea is not actually a strong support of my thesis. In plain words it would be this: 'Learn from appearance as mush as you can, but never judge by it'.

Hi,

- No. of words: I haven't counted yet, but it looks quite short

What do mean? Any word processor can do the job of counting words for you. My essay has 304 (three hundred and four) words. Barely made it, since the minimal is 300 ;)

Thanks for your comments!

See ya!