Urch Forums

#076: Children should begin learning a foreign lan

cinderellahn

Topic 076

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

Children should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school.

Some people say that children should not begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school. I don't agree. In my opinion, getting used to a foreign language early is both effective and interesting.

That children begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school is effective. Studies suggest that small children learn new things more easily than adults. They are like "blank pages". What you tell them influences their minds greatly. They don't take learning a language as hard work but as something to discover. They can avoid the negative influence of their mother tongue. Consequently, small children use a new language more quickly and naturally.

Learning a foreign language as soon as the children start school is interesting. As a rule, small children are often curious. They will be very excited to know about other children in the world, about what games they play and how they learn. They will try to learn harder as a result of their eagerness. The more they learn, the more interested they will be.

However, these advantages can be obtained only if the children are taught with reasonable methods. If the teachers swamp their small students with exercises and homework, they cannot learn effectively or feel interested. Small children will be better off learning a new language through songs, stories and other activities.

All things considered, I would recommend that parents let their children learn a new language as soon as they start school. Teachers should give their little students suitable and effective lessons adapted to their students' ages.

Nice essay. I think this part is a little bit of topic.

Learning a foreign language as soon as the children start school is interesting. As a rule, small children are often curious. They will be very excited to know about other children in the world, about what games they play and how they learn. They will try to learn harder as a result of their eagerness. The more they learn, the more interested they will be.

Very slightly, but you speak about 'curiosity', you don't compare learning language in different ages. Maybe it would be better if the last sentence was upside down (The more interested they will be, the more they learn.)

However, these advantages can be obtained only if the children are taught with reasonable methods. If the teachers swamp their small students with exercises and homework, they cannot learn effectively or feel interested. Small children will be better off learning a new language through songs, stories and other activities.

This para is very of topic. It's about how to teach small children. The topic isn't about it.

All things considered, I would recommend that parents let their children learn a new language as soon as they start school. Teachers should give their little students suitable and effective lessons adapted to their students' ages.

Last sentence continues your ideas, which are of topic.

Anyway, your writing is quite nice and fluent.

Hope, I helped you.

Thank you, Vaya. I think you are right. I learnt from a book that this way of writing is OK. But now I think I will have to change and won't use recommendations and questions to conclude my essays any more.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kindness in words creates confidence.

Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.

Kindness in giving creates love.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Thank you, Vaya. I think you are right. I learnt from a book that this way of writing is OK. But now I think I will have to change and won't use recommendations and questions to conclude my essays any more.

Hm... Are you sure you got me? I wasn't talking about questions or recomendations. I was talking about off-topic essay. Look at your book about essays, page 13, rating scale and 0.

0 An essay will be rated 0 if it

___...

___...

___is off-topic, ...

I don't say your essay would get 0, but I say be careful, because it is very easy to write essay slightly off-topic and automatically get lower score.

Do you know what it is 'off-topic'? For example, you have topic (subject, theme) how cars changed your lives, but you speak or write about bikes. Your essay or speech is off-topic. You are talking not about that subject you are suposed to talk. Like in your case, you are talking how to teach little children, but nobody asked you to do so! This part of your essay is off-topic.

• 8 months later...

Topic #76

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Children should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school. Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.

The statement of learning foreign language as soon as children start school is complex and controversial. Many people share opinion that children should start to learn foreign language in their young ages, while their capability to absorb new thing is on the high level. On the other hand some people argue that it is not good for children to start to learn foreign langue in early age. They think that it can jeopardize the ability to develop a mother tongue. Both perspectives are important, but overall, I personally agree that children should start to learn foreign language as soon as they start school.

Beginning to learn foreign language in young age is important because while children are young they have ability to absorb and memorize things in very efficient way. For example, child in the age of 6 doesn’t have completely developed abilities to understand and speak on mother tongue. Hence, child’s brain in that age can easier accept information on the other language and memorize it successfully. I can present that from the example in my family. I was not a child who liked a foreign language in early age, even though, I started to learn it quite early. But my little sister, who is 11 years younger has great English abilities for her age. The reason why is that true, in my opinion, is because she has spent a lot of time in front of television, watching cartons on English language. I was impressed to see her understanding of some simple English. Today she is brilliant in the English at school.

In contrast, many older people in my country, including my father, do not have a good English knowledge. It is true that in time when they were in the school there was no such demand for knowledge of foreign language as it is today. Start to learn language in older days is not that easy anymore. After so many years of life on mother tongue it is difficult for one to start learning new language, its grammar, structure and new vocabulary. I think that any child who has any influence in early ages of foreign language will only benefit from it. As a result, the same child will develop good background for further extension in knowledge of foreign language.

In conclusion, the statement of learning the language in early days of education must be considered carefully. With the reasons and examples mentioned above I personally would like to have my children learning language as soon as possible.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody, please review my essay. Thanks a lot!

#76. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Children should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school. Use reasons and examples to support your position.

I agree that children should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school since children can be stimulated by a new subject, they are more flexible to precisely pronounce, and they can have more chances inn the future.

First, if children start learning a foreign language since they just enter school, their curiosity for the language can be stimulated. They can be shown that beyond their own native language other nations use different ones. If they are interested in the language, they are willing to learn more with their enthusiast. Moreover, the foreign language is also like some other subjects such as drawing pictures, mathematics, etc. The more subjects they can choose, the better chance for teachers or parents to discover the field which they have more talent for.

Second, children are good learners for language. Since they are young, their vocal organs have not completed developed. They are flexible for changing including accent. That children are likely to pronounce more precisely than adults may come from that they are less influenced by their mother language. Furthermore, they have more opportunities to access the language. Of course, a twelve years old child who just begin learning a foreign language cannot be compared with his same age peer who learned it from six when he started school. The simple reason is that the more opportunities to use it, the more expert the child can be in it.

Third, starting learning a foreign language may provide better future for them. For instance, since they begin learning in their early age, when they graduate from their high school, they may qualify for some exchange programs to learn abroad. It will be a great chance for them to live in different circumstances, to improve their language skills and to learn more such as adjustment that will be their precious experience. Moreover, If they are not satisfied just for this and try to be more excellent in that language, they may use it to receive high scores in some requested tests to apply outstanding foreign universities. Consequently, they will be more competitive in the labor market when they graduate.

In conclusion, for the both short-term and long-term benefits, children should begin their foreign language education just when they start school.

to cinderellahn

Some people say that children should not begin learning(start to learn) a foreign language as soon as they start school. I don't agree. In my opinion, getting used to a foreign language early is both effective and interesting.

That children begin learning (start to learn) a foreign language as soon as they start school is effective. Studies (Researchs)suggest that small (little)children learn new things more easily than adults. They are like "blank pages". What you tell them influences their minds greatly. They don't take (count)learning a language as hard work but as something to discover. They can avoid the negative influence of their mother tongue. Consequently, small (little)children use a new language more quickly and naturally.

Learning a foreign language as soon as the children start school is interesting. As a rule, small(little ) children are often curious. They will be very excited to know about other children in the world, about what games they play and how they learn. They will try to learn harder as a result of their eagerness. The more they learn, the more interested they will be.

However, these advantages can be obtained only if the children are taught with reasonable methods. If the(here need not 'the') teachers swamp their small (little)students with exercises and homework(s), they cannot learn effectively or feel interested. Small children will be better off learning a new language through songs, stories and other activities.

All things considered, I would recommend that parents let their children learn a new language as soon as they start school. Teachers should give their little students suitable and effective lessons adapted to their students' ages(age).