Urch Forums

#059: Some people are always in a hurry to go

meenuyadav

Topic:59

Some people are always in a hurry to go places and get things done. Other people prefer to take their time and live life at a slower pace. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Essay:

Some people are always in a hurry to go to places or getting things done, they are in too much quick in making decisions. While on the other hand some people prefer to take their time and live life at a slower pace. I believe the above two choices depend on the attitude of a person. I personally prefer to take my time and live life at a slower pace. I will support my point by the following views.

People say that working quickly is important but I believe that working efficiently is what that matters. The decisions or work done quickly with an attitude of just getting over are unsuccessful most of the times. I don’t like rushing to get things done. I believe that you should think before doing things and do things at a slower pace. After all it has been rightly said, “ Slow and steady wins the race.”

According to me there is no point in just going to place if you do not enjoy the place, it’s beauty. It is simply wastage of your money as well as time. If you are always busy and in hurry in getting things done then you don’t know how much you have missed. Being a mother myself I know that how much doing things at a slower pace is important to me. If I was always busy and in a hurry getting things done then I would have never enjoyed my daughter’s cute little things. I would have never enjoyed her childish talk and not to mention about how she started talking. I am a person who enjoys my life to the full extent possible and doing things at a slower pace. Life is too short so I believe that everybody should enjoy his/her life to the full extent possible.

So in short I think that I don’t rush to do things. I prefer to take my time and live my life at a slower pace.

According to me there is no point in just going to place if you do not enjoy the place, it’s beauty. It is simply wastage of your money as well as time. If you are always busy and in hurry in getting things done then you don’t know how much you have missed. Being a mother myself I know that how much doing things at a slower pace is important to me. If I was always busy and in a hurry getting things done then I would have never enjoyed my daughter’s cute little things. I would have never enjoyed her childish talk and not to mention about how she started talking. I am a person who enjoys my life to the full extent possible and doing things at a slower pace. Life is too short so I believe that everybody should enjoy his/her life to the full extent possible.

Look at:

http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63

The post above contains only my own opinion which has nothing to do with official TOEFL

Hm... I really don't know what to say. I don't like it and I can't find the reason why! I read your essay maybe ten or even more times and the only thing I can say that your conclusion is too short.

Another thing that the topic is silly. What are you supposed to talk about? Work? Travels? Private life? Everything in general?

You tried to write about everything, but you didn't give specific examples. Yes, that point about your daughter is really strong and good, but I missed an example in 2nd para. You mentioned traveling, but you didn't developed it. It just seems that your essay has no clear organization, no clear points.

One more thing, your sentences aren't natural, they just don't flow (I have no idea how to express it). It seems that it's difficult for you to write. You use some confused grammar structures, but it's curable: read and write more, you need more practise and I'll try to help you.

Sorry for being cruel, but you asked for my opinion :)

The post above contains only my own opinion which has nothing to do with official TOEFL

And also which example you are talking about? by saying "but I missed an example in 2nd para. "

I mean that there is no real example in the 2nd paragraph. “ Slow and steady wins the race.” could be an example, but this phrase isn't used very efficiently.

BTW, I guess that all of us should try to give real and vivid examples from our lifes, because it REALLY helps to impress a reader and even covers some grammar mistakes. Besides, general talks are boring, because you say nothing new. I think people who correct essays for a vivid and full of examples essay would give you much higher score than for the dull one even if grammar is a little bit worse.

• 1 year later...

Please give the rating to my essay and also give suggestion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic 138

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is better to be a member of a group than to be the leader of a group. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Group is formed by certain number of persons. These persons are called as members. There is one person who is not only member of a group but also leader, who leads group. Every group has a leader and members. For me, it will be better to become a leader of a group than to be a member of a group. I strongly convinced by motto of my life ' I want to become leader than follower'. There are few qualities of a leader which helps him to become a leader than a member. Leader is totally different from member of a group. Leader has some qualities which are not present in members of a group. These qualities of a leader are ability of decision making, his ability to direct all the members of a group in a proper ans right direction and his conviencing power.

Leader is a person who can give advice to member, he can take them into the proper direction. A leader can solve problems of a group member. Leaders are the decision makers and not the group members. Group member choose a leader. Leader has right to make decision, to convert this decision into true. On the other hand group member can only give suggestion to their leader.

Leader is a driving force for a group. leader is a member of a group, so he has got two positions in group, leader and member, this is not the case with member of a group, a member of a group has got only one position i.e. member. Leaders way of talking to group member is very polite and understandable. We can take an example of Mother teressa, she was a best leader. she had devoted her life for the betterment of humanity. Although she is no more but her followers are following her thoughts. Lastly leader has great convincing power. He can really convince people.

Due to the many advantages of a leader I think its better to become a leader than a member.

Hello, Sweet.

Put in my 2 cents worth.

You didn't explain why to be a leader is better to be a member in your essay, the most parts are describing the role of a read in a group, and defination of "group", "leader" and "member".

In addition, there are not introduting paragraph, and concluding paragraph in your essay. If you add them, your score will be higher.

With best regards.

Please comment on my essay.I don't mind your being critical:shy:

Some people are always in a hurry to go places and get things done. Other people prefer to take their time and live life at a slower pace. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Being in a hurry to do my assigned tasks for school, for example,makes me feel highly nervous and quite unable to handle my work efficiently.At the same time, I would greatly enjoy taking my time, doing my best solving the intricate problems and, as a result, enjoy a much more efficient work.

The educational system in Bulgaria is structured in such a way, as to allow students spend as much time on their projects as they find proper.Having a whole afternoon to study a subject you enjoy may even turn to be an enjoyable experience.Not observing any time limitations, allows the Bulgarian students, like me, put some paistaking efforts in whatever we do.Consequently, our educational system is recognised as one of the most well-organised and productive systems in the world.

Taking my, writing my first TOEFL essay was a highly imporant moment in the whole studying process.Hadn't I spent more than the allowed time on completeing this sort of task, I would not be able to write a coherent and clear composition.In fact, being in a fuss to say anything at all would make my statements seem quite illogical, even bizzare.Therefore, I decided that spending more than half an hour, and later on limiting my time is a prudent decision for a beginner to make.

To me, it seems highly preferable to work at a slower pace.To pay attention on the intricate details means do a better job.Being in a fuss makes me unable to hande any task on earth with the proper efficiency.I would recommend that a person spend more time arranging his thoughts and preparing a clearly organised work schedule.This way, one becomes able to do a specific task not only faster, but aslo with a greater profficiency.

Originally posted by sweet

Please give the rating to my essay and also give suggestion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic 138

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is better to be a member of a group than to be the leader of a group. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Group is formed by certain number of persons. These persons are called as members. There is one person who is not only member of a group but also leader, who leads group. Every group has a leader and members. For me, it will be better to become a leader of a group than to be a member of a group. I strongly convinced by motto of my life ' I want to become leader than follower'. There are few qualities of a leader which helps him to become a leader than a member. Leader is totally different from member of a group. Leader has some qualities which are not present in members of a group. These qualities of a leader are ability of decision making, his ability to direct all the members of a group in a proper ans right direction and his conviencing power.

Leader is a person who can give advice to member, he can take them into the proper direction. A leader can solve problems of a group member. Leaders are the decision makers and not the group members. Group member choose a leader. Leader has right to make decision, to convert this decision into true. On the other hand group member can only give suggestion to their leader.

Leader is a driving force for a group. leader is a member of a group, so he has got two positions in group, leader and member, this is not the case with member of a group, a member of a group has got only one position i.e. member. Leaders way of talking to group member is very polite and understandable. We can take an example of Mother teressa, she was a best leader. she had devoted her life for the betterment of humanity. Although she is no more but her followers are following her thoughts. Lastly leader has great convincing power. He can really convince people.

Due to the many advantages of a leader I think its better to become a leader than a member.

Hi, Sweet.

I think you begin your essay by answering the question at hand, but then you stray from the topic. This will prove to be problematic in your attempt to create a successful essay.

It is important that you look carefully at the question and answer it as directly as possible. In this case, the question asked why it is better to be a leader or a member of a group, but in your essay you went on to answer what qualities make a good leader. Unfortunately, no matter how well you present your material, if it doesn't answer the question that was asked there is going to be confusion in the reader's interpretation of your essay.

It's always a good idea to state clearly, and even simply, what your point of view is: e.g. "I think it is better to be a leader than a member of a group because a)........... b)............. and c)........." Then go on to use your three main points to form the body of your essay.

Good organization, clarity and sticking to the topic are all key ingredients to a successful essay.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff

Originally posted by CiTa

Please comment on my essay.I don't mind your being critical:shy:

Being in a hurry to do my assigned tasks for school, for example,makes me feel highly nervous and quite unable to handle my work efficiently.At the same time, I would greatly enjoy taking my time, doing my best solving the intricate problems and, as a result, enjoy a much more efficient work.

The educational system in Bulgaria is structured in such a way, as to allow students spend as much time on their projects as they find proper.Having a whole afternoon to study a subject you enjoy may even turn to be an enjoyable experience.Not observing any time limitations, allows the Bulgarian students, like me, put some paistaking efforts in whatever we do.Consequently, our educational system is recognised as one of the most well-organised and productive systems in the world.

Taking my, writing my first TOEFL essay was a highly imporant moment in the whole studying process.Hadn't I spent more than the allowed time on completeing this sort of task, I would not be able to write a coherent and clear composition.In fact, being in a fuss to say anything at all would make my statements seem quite illogical, even bizzare.Therefore, I decided that spending more than half an hour, and later on limiting my time is a prudent decision for a beginner to make.

To me, it seems highly preferable to work at a slower pace.To pay attention on the intricate details means do a better job.Being in a fuss makes me unable to hande any task on earth with the proper efficiency.I would recommend that a person spend more time arranging his thoughts and preparing a clearly organised work schedule.This way, one becomes able to do a specific task not only faster, but aslo with a greater profficiency.

Hi, CiTa.

Overall, I think your essay looks pretty good. There is one thing I would like to point out, however.

Your point of view should be stated clearly at the beginning of your essay in the thesis statement of your introduction. As your essay currently is, it is not until one begins reading the body of the essay that the point of view is made known. You begin your essay with an example, (i.e. "Being in a hurry to do my assigned tasks for school...") when examples really should only be used in the body of the work to add support to your main ideas.

In your introduction, state your point of view in a clear, simple statement that includes your main points. Use the main points as organizational guides through the rest of your essay. If your first main point is: "I prefer taking my time because it leads to greater efficiency.", then state this and use the first paragraph to discuss and support this idea with examples.

The personal examples that you do use in this essay are good. Just make sure that they are not simply examples, but do their part to specifically support the main ideas of your piece.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff

TM Staff,

really thank you for your comments.The inroductory paragraph has always been a problem to me as I am not used to stating my point of view as directly, as a TOEFL essay requires.Anyway, I will try to do my best next time.;)