Urch Forums

#127: Reading fiction (such as novels and short...

nguyenhbach

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable than watching movies. Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

-------------

I always enjoy reading fiction and watching movies. If some one asks me what kind of entertainment prevails, I do not falter to vote for watching movies. Watching movies brings about us the sense of reality and is the most time-saving way to relax.

First of all, watching movies helps us imagine what things in fiction looks like, how the sound is. Have you ever watched Romeo and Juliet? It is the most substantial evidence about movie picture and soundtrack; you can feel the thrill in each sound, the bitter in each war, and the sweet in each conversation between Romeo and Juliet. I do believe that if Shakespeare suddenly woke up and saw the movie, he would totally gratify with the film and say admittedly “My work was lifted up a new height by this film”.

We are all known that time is gold. Therefore, in addition to the sense of reality, watching movies also is surely the most time-saving way to relax. A three-part novel, such as God Father, costs us about three days to read completely while its fantastic film is just three-hour length.

To sum up, the sense of reality and time-saving are the two most salient points of watching movies. Because the advantages of watching movies are so obviously; I am strongly convinced that watching movies is more enjoyable than reading fiction.

Nguyen

Wow! Really nice essay, I enjoyed it.

It's very good that you mentioned some real examples, which make your point very strong. Just write names of films or books in commas ('God Father' or 'Romeo and Juliet').

I would give you even 6.0 score, but I guess your score would be 5.5, because of a few grammar mistakes.

Nice work!

The post above contains only my own opinion which has nothing to do with official TOEFL

1. If someone asks me what kind of entertainment prevails, I won't falter to vote for watching movies.

2. Watching movies brings us the sense of reality and it* is the most time-saving way to relax.

3. First of all, watching movies helps us to imagine how* things in fiction looks and sounds like.

4. It is the most substantial evidence about movie picture and soundtrack; It's not finished; maybe you wantedd too say something like this: It is the most substantial evidence about great effects of the moving pictures and soundtracks

5. you can feel the thrill in each sound, the bitter in each conflict, and the sweetness in each conversation between Romeo and Juliet.

6. “My work was lifted up to a new height by this film”.

7. We are all aware that time is money. Or: All of us know that time is money. (I believe word 'money' is more often than 'gold' in this phrase)

8. ...while this fantastic film is just three-hour length.

9. Because the advantages of watching movies are so obvious...

* - I'm not sure about it.

The post above contains only my own opinion which has nothing to do with official TOEFL

• 5 months later...

Hi, this is my version for the same topic. Please grade and comment!. Thanks,

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable than watching movies. Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

In this fast paced era, there are many different ways available to get entertained. Even though, both reading fiction books and watching movies have their own advantages, I would prefer reading fiction books such as novels and short stories for enjoyment.

Chief reason to support my view is, there are different people in the society. For instance, people who work for five days a week need a break from stress. Triggering factors for their stress could be traffic or work. For such people, fiction books like Harry potter would be a good one to read as they not only work like stress relievers but also refreshes mind and body. If people, who come from work, stick to comedy prime time shows, they exhaust themselves more, by continuously sticking to the T.V. screens. It makes them couch potatoes and more sluggish people.

Another example that can be given is, when people talk about hobbies, they say that, I read fiction books more. People mention about watching T.V. or movies, as a hobby is less likely, because every one gets to see a movie now and then. So, even if it were mentioned, it would be a very casual hobby. Reading such books is not only enjoyable, but also helps in increasing writing vocabulary. It is good education to any one including adults.

Another reason is, fiction stories can take an individual into imaginative, fantasy and creative world. It would show everything that is not humanly possible, which would amuse and entertain an individual thoroughly. It would also increase one’s creative mind. On the other hand, people are more restricted to what is shown on the T.V. By the time they finish watching, people would be too exhausted to increase whatever creative ability they have.

To conclude, I agree that reading books with fiction stories are more enjoyable than watching T.V. or movies. It is not only informative, but also improves one’s imagination and creative ability. Additionally, it works as the best stress reliever.

• 1 month later...

Which one is more pleasant, reading fiction or watching movies? Since people’s habits and interest differ, they may never agree on above issue. Personally, I enjoy watching movies very much, and the magic and spectacular world movies bring to me adds some vivid colors in my life.

To begin with, watching movies are considerably easier than reading novels. As an international student who is in Canada and whose native language is not English, I will not choose reading novels as my entertainment (although I have to make every effort to pass the literature course and finish five horrible novels in a term). When I came to Canada one year ago, I bought some popular novels such as Star War and Harry Potter, but I only read several pages till now. There are so many difficult words I have to look up and finally I gave up. In contrast, movie is much easier to understand. Even if the characters’ words sometimes confuse me, I can get some clues from the picture.

In addition, movies can provide us with visual images as well as sound. In friction, we often read some sentences describing a girl’s beauty, but do we really have a picture of the girl’s appearance in our mind? No. The only thing the author can guarantee is that the girl is terribly good-looking. However, with the help of movies, the beauty of that girl is visualized and we can get a concrete view about this character. Similarly, a movie’s words and songs also attract us, but we can’t expect any harmonious sounds from a novel. In all, the invention of movies is a milestone in the entertainment history. From the attacking of aliens to the sinking of Titanic, from a fierce battle in the ancient Rome to a huge space ship traveling in the universe, movies have brought numerous vivid scenes in front of audience all around the world.

Last but not least, it is enjoyable to listen to songs in movies. In order to attract more audience, film companies always make a great effort to produce tuneful music in their movies. The power of songs in movies is amazing. After several decades, people may forget the content of the movie, but they are still familiar with the movie’s music, which recall them to the sweet memory of former days. About one month ago, I watched the Sound of Music from a Canadian TV channel. When I heard the classic music I found the feeling of my childhood.

To summarize, from my point of view, watching movies is more enjoyable than reading fiction. If there are a best-selling novel and an Oscar-winning movie DVD in front of me, I will definitely choose the DVD.

Thank you for your criticisms!

^-^

• 3 months later...

Topic 127

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Reading fiction (such as novels abd shorts stories) is more enjoyable than watching a movie. Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

Some people prefer to watch a movie than to read a book, such as novels or shorts stories. I belong to the last cateogry. Reading a book gives you a lot of satisfactions rather than to watch a movie. By reading a book you can imagine even the characters or the complete escenary, in some books the author discribes the characters and the surrounding, but even thou the final real faces and surrounding depends on you. Also, reading can expand your vocabulary, spelling and grammar in all aspects.

Primarly, by reading a book you will be a more creative person, because you have to imagine all that the author is describing. In my opinion es more interesting to create you own surrounding, based in the author description, than if it is already set up like in the movies. Furthermore, you can imagine that you are one of the characters of the story, even more if they have your same name.

Secondly, reading fiction such as novels or short stories, can expand a lot your vocabulary. Even thou we maybe has allready a big vocabulary, its almost imposible to manage all the words. We can find in novels or in short stories words that we did not know and by looking up the meaning of them, we will rememember them easier. Also, we can learn a lot of grammar structure and spelling by reading all kind of books, such as novels or short stories.

However, there maybe people that prefer to watch a movie, instead of reading a novel or a short story. Buy doing this you can save a lot of time, because is quicklier to watch a movie that to read a novel, and also is easier to watch something already set up than to imagine all the surrounding. Furthermore, you can go with an other person, and share the experiencie of watching a movie with your companion.

In conclusion, I support the statement that reading fiction, such as novels or short stories is more enjoyable than watching a movie. In my opinion, imagining the characters and the surrounding is more funny that to watch a movie, and I think that it is important to expand as much you can your vocabulary, grammar and spelling.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable than watching movies. Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position

-------

Reading fiction and watching movies are two popular types of entertainment. While reading fiction enable you to imagine, watching movies brings interesting experiences becouse the effection of sound and images. But in my opnion, reading fiction is still more enjoyable, becouse imagination has no limits, and you can read fictions in many places, not like movies can only watched in theatres.

Many people get disappointed after they watch a film based on their favourite book. They don't satisfy with like the acting of the actresses, actors, they dont see as much fantasy as when they read the book. With the limit of technology, and sometimes different view about the stories of the director, films based on fictions cannot bring to the audience the experience like books.

Another point makes reading book freferable to me to watching movies is I can read book whenever I have time, I can enjoy myself when I am traveling on buses, sitting alone in a garden or sunbathing on beaches. On the contrast, we have to go to the theatre, have to stand in long row to get tickets, and sometimes have to bear the disturbing noise from the neighboor seats.

Although, seeing a film in movies has its own joy, there are usually great effections of sound and images, but watching films is passive way of obtaining arts while reading books is the active way. It is not only enjoyable, but also develope our imagining abilities.

To finish, I again would like to say that reading book is very good activity to enjoy and develope our imaginary. But it is the fact that nowadays people tend to be more and more lazy, many people prefer watching movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi matek,

I really liked youe essay and I think you would get a pretty good mark for this one on the TOEFL.Even though the whole impression is good, there are some grammatical and stylistic errors to be payed youe attention:yuck:

According to me, it would be great if you a bit touched up your conclusion...I mean try to express you point of view more explicitly and even try offering an example how this could be in the real life!;]

Furthermore,it should me effect not effection:D

They don't satisfy with like the acting of the actresses, actors...would better be They don't feel satisfied with[:(!]

You have adressed the oppesite side and that's a pretty good way to convince your readers that the side you are taking is the right one.[w00t]

That is all I meant to tell you so...keep trying .Your essay is persuasive and well organised

Originally posted by matek

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable than watching movies. Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position

-------

Reading fiction and watching movies are two popular types of entertainment. While reading fiction enable you to imagine, watching movies brings interesting experiences becouse the effection of sound and images. But in my opnion, reading fiction is still more enjoyable, becouse imagination has no limits, and you can read fictions in many places, not like movies can only watched in theatres.

Many people get disappointed after they watch a film based on their favourite book. They don't satisfy with like the acting of the actresses, actors, they dont see as much fantasy as when they read the book. With the limit of technology, and sometimes different view about the stories of the director, films based on fictions cannot bring to the audience the experience like books.

Another point makes reading book freferable to me to watching movies is I can read book whenever I have time, I can enjoy myself when I am traveling on buses, sitting alone in a garden or sunbathing on beaches. On the contrast, we have to go to the theatre, have to stand in long row to get tickets, and sometimes have to bear the disturbing noise from the neighboor seats.

Although, seeing a film in movies has its own joy, there are usually great effections of sound and images, but watching films is passive way of obtaining arts while reading books is the active way. It is not only enjoyable, but also develope our imagining abilities.

To finish, I again would like to say that reading book is very good activity to enjoy and develope our imaginary. But it is the fact that nowadays people tend to be more and more lazy, many people prefer watching movies.

Hi, Matek.

I think you've done a good job here. In your introduction, you clearly state your point of view. The body of your work follows the main points addressed in your thesis statement.

I would suggest two things to strengthen this essay, however.

First, in looking at your introduction, I see two main points: 1) imagination (when reading) has no limits 2) reading can be enjoyed anywhere. The first two paragraphs of the body of the essay address these, but then you include a third paragraph which does not provide a main point with support. Instead, it reads as general support to your overall point of view. I would eliminate this paragraph or work it into the rest of the essay. Don't set it apart in a separate paragraph, unless it is a main point.

Secondly, always keep in mind the last thought that you are leaving your readers with. In this case, you ended on the note that "many people prefer watching movies" when all along your point of view has been supporting the positive attributes of books and reading. Flip it around and leave your reader with this argument. Conclude with a statement supporting your point of view. It will help solidify the essay.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff