Urch Forums

#011: Universities should give the same amount of

nguyenhbach

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

----------

There are many controversies in the issue that universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports activities as they give to their university libraries. With the understanding of a graduate, I am in favor of the idea that libraries need more money to be invested in.

It is undeniable that a library is fundamentally important to a university. A library is the heart of a university where students spend most of their study time here to investigate for their work. It is the ideal place for learning; there is enough space; students can work undisturbed here; a library offers many study equipments. And, most importantly, students can find all the necessary information needed for their explorations in one place. All things will be mirage if a library has not got a financial security.

In the moving world today records change rapidly and knowledge accumulates constantly, libraries need to upgrade regularly. This must be especially significant to a university library because students’ inquiries are always accurate and unfailing. In order to meet students’ needs requires a university to invest a lot of money in its library to buy more books and other media means.

All in all, by driving our cash flow to libraries, students as well as professors can benefit from them in terms of studying and teaching. More importantly, a large amount of annual invested money keeps libraries up to date. Therefore, people must give the most attention and care to libraries.

Nguyen

I like your essay. But I have some suggestion.

The topic asks you to choose between spending money for libraries or sports activities. Someone reading your essay could argue that, yes, libraries really need money, but sports activities need money, too!!! Both are useful for students, right? So you should say something why universities should spend MORE money for the libraries.

HTH.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kindness in words creates confidence.

Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.

Kindness in giving creates love.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Hi!

I want to develop Cinderellahn suggestion.

Your essay is nice and really good, but it is off-topic. You see, you talk ONLY about libraries. Your essay sound like the topic is: 'Should government spend more money on libraries?'. But your topic is: 'Should government spend more money on libraries than on sports?' Topic asks for comparison.

And Cinderellahn welcome to Magician training school!

The post above contains only my own opinion which has nothing to do with official TOEFL

• 3 months later...

This an essay from a book, i don't know its name, but the essay can give you an idea what to write about this topic :

----------------------------------

I disagree strongly woth the idea that the same amount of money should go to university sports activities as to university libraries. Although playing sports is a wonderful way to learn about teamwork, strategy and reaching your goal, it should not be a principal focus of a university education.

Students need the most up-to-date library facilities available to get the best education. Many of those faclities are very expensive to buy and maintain. These include computerized programs and access to Internet research databases that students can use to find information all around the world. If a university is only offering its students resources of a decade ago, it is depriving those students of a tremendous amount of information.

Even the book and magazine budget of universities has gone up immensely in the last decade. More is being published on every subject, and every university wants to have this information available to its students.

It costs also money for universities to keep their libraries open. Students need to have access to all the libraries' research tools as much of the time as possible. Because students are young and can stay up all night studing, many universities are starting to leave their libraries all night open during exam periods. This costs money, because the staff has to be paid extra to be there. It also costs money to run the building (electricity, heat) during that time.

Students at universities are only going to benefit from their education if they can get all the tools they need to learn. Sports are secondary to the resources that students need from university libraries. For this reason, libraries should always be better funded than sports activities.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, guys and gals!

This is my essay. I think it's a tough topic.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

There are a controversial statement that universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sport activities as they give to their university libraries. Both are essential to students. However, I disagree with the above statement, universities should give more money to their university libraries.

Nowadays, we are living in the world where there are many people going to schools everyday. I am sure that their purposes are to get as much knowledge as possible to find a better job in the future. None of them come to schools to become Magic Johnson or David Beckham. Although sport help us to relax and have better health to study, it is not the key objective of students.

Moreover, technology is changing day by day. We hear about new inventions, new techniques all the time. If student are not sufficiently supplied with good books, good facilities such as computers, internet and so on, it will be very difficult for them to learn, and get necessary knowledge. And they will not meet the demands of the society. Consequently, less people go to universities, they will go to training center instead.

Furthermore, investing much money in students’ sport activities may be wasteful. Most student do not care much about them. Meanwhile libraries are always crowded and frequently used because many students come there to learn.

All in all, with the above reasons, universities should invest more money in libraries than in sport activities. Sport is important, but it is only the second, study is the first.

Your comments are welcome.:) Thanks a bunch.

Hello!

The 4th and 5th paras are too short. Some sentences are a bit too strong (as that one about David Beckham or the 1st sentence of the 4th para).

Overall your essay is nice and neat. I didn't notice grammae mistakes. It's really worth 6.0-5.5, but personally I don't like it. And I don't know why... It lack something.

Anyways, well done. Keep going, you'll reach your dream.

Renata

• 1 month later...

#011. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sport activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion

A Latin adage says “Mens sana in corpore sano” and the most beautiful thing is to have a healthy mind in a healthy body, by being involved in sport activities. But I think that the students’ main purpose in attending university is not to exercise their body, but their minds and libraries should get much more funds that sport activities.

Libraries are very important in a university campus because students expect to find there all the books, magazines, research papers or other kind of information suggested by their professors .Without having most of those books , students cannot prepare themselves for exams. Also, the bibliography is in a permanent change, as new books are published, new concepts are developed or some old theories are proved to be wrong and replaced with new ones. Therefore ,libraries should have enough funds to permanently update their inventory.

Another reason why libraries need more funds is related to the latest way of stocking and getting information. All university libraries need to have their net of computers ,their data base and Internet connections. These facilities are useful for professors as well, as they can permanently improve their knowledge about the latest discoveries and changes in their fields of activities. These facilities may be affordable for American Universities, but in my own country, they are a real challenge for the entire budget of a university.

In contrast, sport activities are optional for university students and not all of them are involved in individual sports or team games. Thus, there is a lesser demand for sport facilities and equipment than for books and sources of information. In addition, most of the equipment and buildings in a sport center can be used for a much longer period of time than some sources of information from libraries. For example, after five years of use, a swimming pool will provide the same opportunities to exercise, but magazines and some of the books will be for sure outdated.

In conclusion, libraries should have much more money than sport activities because they are the source of information and study materials for all the students and professors from a university . Most of their time ,students prepare themselves for a career or profession and they use only a part of their spare time exercising or participating in sport activities.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I would really appreciate any comments on this essay. What would be a grade estimate for that??

Thank you very much,

Márcio

11 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion

Universities, like all companies or individuals, have a limited budget. Due to that, a precious amount of time is dedicated to the discussion of the budget destination. While ones think that Universities should spend the same amount of money on sport activities as they spend on their libraries, others think this situation is unfair.

Some people think that the Universities are not only places for study but also for leisure activities. For example, it would be impossible for one to imagine a university a place with only classrooms, students and teachers. As nowadays the universities are the second home for the students, it is reasonable to expect that sport facilities would be available. While I was at my first year in the University, I realized that during a soccer game it was a much more efficient way to socialize than it was during a class, for obvious reasons. This was very important, as you would normally spend five years of your life, 5 days a week, 5 hours a day with that people.

On the other hand, as we are talking about limited budgets, I think the word “priority” should pop up in our minds. In my opinion, it is very clear that the main purpose of a university is to educate people and as such, it should have at least a good library. Besides that, it is very important to mention that not all the students have the funds to buy the all books required, having to use the libraries frequently. It sounds weird to me the idea of building a 50-yard swimming pool while at the same time having a modest library.

In summary, my opinion is that the core business of a university is to provide education. Given that, I think the sport activities should be in the second place. Of course, it is necessary to have sport facilities in the universities, but the amount of money spent on that should be smaller than that spent on the libraries, for the reasons stated above.

It is undeniable that students not only need to learn academic knowledge but also need to join in other extracurricular activities while studying in universities. Sports seem to be the best activity for relaxing. Moreover, students can not only be healthy but also learn about teamwork from playing sport. Therefore, in my view, I do strongly agree that universities should support student’s sports activities as they do to their university libraries.

First, to play sport is to spend spare time wisely. In universities, of cause, the main reason of all students to go there is studying. However, sports are also vital. Playing sports makes students wholesome. Students also learn to have interaction with other friends while playing sports. All of these are the best way to prepare students to live in the real society while they graduate and go to work. Therefore, playing sports is as important as do studying and universities can not ignore to support these activities.

Moreover, with the advent of technologies, universities can safe much money they have to invest on libraries. For example, interconnection among libraries in different universities can reduce much money. Students can borrow new version books from other university’s libraries. Therefore, libraries no longer need to buy every version books, thus saving much investment. Besides, now, libraries can keep information in books in form of chips which require far less area to keep and also less money for maintenances. On the other hand, universities still can not be able to borrow swimming pools or basketball fields or other sport’s facilities from other universities. Moreover, universities also need money for maintenances all sport’s facilities they already have.

In short, even through main purpose of all students is studying, it is irrefutable that sport’s activities are also vital for them. Moreover, any technological developments can reduce the large amount of money that universities have to invest on library’s maintenances but that is not for sport’s facilities. Therefore, it is important that universities should give the same amount of money to student’s sports activities as they give to their university libraries.

• 2 weeks later...

pl. check my essay and comment.

Universities are places of academic education rather than physical education. Students in the universities are indulged in their studies most of the time. Few students take up sports as a serious career and concentrate more on sports than on studies. Library is like oxygen that defines the position of the student in the university. So in my view, it is more genuine and sensible to allot more funds for libraries.

Libraries are to be constantly updated in order to keep students well-informed. Today a library is not just confined to a collection of books on various subjects. Several other forms of storing information and knowledge have emerged with the advancements in technology. Computers form an integral part of a modern library. It definitely incurs more money to establish a state-of-art library with facilities like multimedia, continuous internet accessibility etc. these facilities help students to keep track of the latest trends in their field of study. Students have to be in constant touch with the outside world in order to keep themselves up to date. All these activities involve a greater amount of money than that incurred in the olden days.

Sports centers once established in a full-fledged manner, do not need constant renovation. The equipment and facilities like the grounds, pools etc. serve the purpose for a long time and with more or less the same efficiency. So sports centers do not need any extra investment year after year unless there is some problem with the existing one.

It is an undisputed truth that universities are more famous for the standards they provide in education rather than the facilities they provide in their sports center. A modern gym doesn’t attract students as much as a modern library does. Library is like a boon to the students which provides the information regarding the courseware.

Finally, I would like to conclude saying that a university without a fully-developed university is like a garden without flowers, which may provide greenery and shade but does not evoke a sense of pleasure, the main purpose for which it is there! Hence universities must prefer allotting more funds to libraries than sports.

• 4 months later...

I experience some trouble with organizing my ideas and developing an outline..can anyone check this essay and tell me if I improved a little bit? thank you![heartbeat]

Since the first universities developed their main purpose was to encourage people to study, to achieve knowledge and skills in a study field of their choice. It is true, sport activities should be also encouraged but not at the extent of investing the same amount of money in them as in the university library.

The teaching process is the main activity in a university and it must be supported by good and new study material. The need of buying new and improved books is a constant in any university and that requests lots of funding. When you buy a book and place it in the university library many generations of students will use it, study it, and learn something from it. Buying a book is a long-term investment but the fame that sometimes a good athlete can bring to a university can fade away in time.

We must take in consideration the fact that when a university invests money in something it must consider the good of the entire mass of students and not just of a few of them.

I am not arguing against developing and encouraging sport activities in the universities because I consider that every student should engage himself in such an activity for his own health in the first place, and secondly, to learn about team effort and fair play, but, investing in sport activities sometimes means investing in several good athletes that have achieved great results. Therefore, I consider that investing in sports activities should embrace the form of scholarships that does not always means investing too much money, or at least not as much money as it should be invested in extending the university library.

To conclude, what I am stating is the fact that since the main activity of a university is about teaching and learning, acquiring knowledge and skills, and not so much about developing athletically aptitudes, the amount of money invested in updating permanently the book shelves of the library should be considerably greater than that of investing in sport activities.

Please rate this essay, I have posted six essays, but none have been rated, I feel a bit disappointed. Please give me some courage and suggestions. Thank you very much

"All nations should help support the development of a global university designed to engage students in the process of solving the world's most persistent social problems."

The consensus is that the current terrorist attack on the United States will forever change the way we think about ourselves and look at each other. This hideous act of ignorance will certainly have a far-reaching effect on the way we live and deeply affect our collective consciousness. With this horrible act, Americans have become intensely aware that we live in a new world that is inherently interdependent. The emergence of this new world is especially challenging for nations who must conceive of innovative strategies to educate humankind for the future where global cooperation is the norm, not the exception, and planetary citizenship is held in the same high esteem as national patriotism. In such context, I stand for the assertion that all nations should help support the development of a global university designed to engage students in the process of solving the world's most persistent social problems.

Globalization is defined as the compression of the world internationally and the intensification of consciousness globally. The process is real and ongoing on an international social, political, and humanitarian scale. Our age has been characterized as one of accelerated globalization requiring a shift in society's orientation toward international relations and developments. The establishment of a global university designed to engage student in the process of solving the world's most persistent social problems further propels the process of globalization on worldwide scale, not only favoring the problem solving, but also contribute to developing the student¡¯s social intelligence and social competence. Moreover, the establishment of such global university will increase the friendship and trusty of all nations.

Young people often possess the novel idea and method in the process of solving the problem. At the same time since they come from different nations, they will bring different point of view to a certain problem, resulting a deep understanding to the persistent social problems confronted by modern world. They will discuss the problem rather objectively without any influence coming from the outside world. As we all know different nation will have different comment on certain international issue due to their conventions, cultures, moral standards, political stands and economic interest. Out of question, these factors will exert an subliminal influence on the mind of the young people, which will impede them to come up with their proposal that maybe effective to solve the persistent social issues. Here I would like to cite such example as a student, from a nation where its main economic income mainly comes from the exports of tobacco, will get the criticize from his or her society for his or her proposal that stop the planting of tobacco to solve the pollution and health problem of human being.

In addition, as young people are the future and the hope of our society, we should provide them such opportunity to cultivate their competence of problem solving. When they enter the society and go into the international realm. They will face lots of thorny problems. With the experience of being educated in such a global university, they are more competent to solve the other problem, at least they will have some thing in mind such as: how to solve the problem, which he or she should consider first, by doing so will bring what predictable influence, et al.

All in all, to support the development of a global university designed to engage students in the process of solving the world's most persistent social problems is a wise decision for all nations. Thought there will exist some problems such as faculty, the management of the students, the language, the form of the class, and the arrangement of curriculum and so on. I am sure that these problems will be conquered if all nations take efforts to such practice and the benefits can be expected to see in the near future.

Originally posted by cherry-ting

Please rate this essay, I have posted six essays, but none have been rated, I feel a bit disappointed. Please give me some courage and suggestions. Thank you very much

"All nations should help support the development of a global university designed to engage students in the process of solving the world's most persistent social problems."

The consensus is that the current terrorist attack on the United States will forever change the way we think about ourselves and look at each other. This hideous act of ignorance will certainly have a far-reaching effect on the way we live and deeply affect our collective consciousness. With this horrible act, Americans have become intensely aware that we live in a new world that is inherently interdependent. The emergence of this new world is especially challenging for nations who must conceive of innovative strategies to educate humankind for the future where global cooperation is the norm, not the exception, and planetary citizenship is held in the same high esteem as national patriotism. In such context, I stand for the assertion that all nations should help support the development of a global university designed to engage students in the process of solving the world's most persistent social problems.

Globalization is defined as the compression of the world internationally and the intensification of consciousness globally. The process is real and ongoing on an international social, political, and humanitarian scale. Our age has been characterized as one of accelerated globalization requiring a shift in society's orientation toward international relations and developments. The establishment of a global university designed to engage the students in the process of solving the world's most persistent social problems further propels the process of globalization on worldwide scale, not only favoring the problem solving, but also contributes to thedeveloping of the student¡¯s social intelligence and social competence. Moreover, the establishment of such global university will increase the friendship and trustyand trust among all nations of all nations.

Young people often possess the novel idea and method in the process of solving the problem. At the same time since they come from different nations, they will bring different point of view to a certain problem, resulting a deep understanding to the persistent social problems confronted by modern world that the modern worls is confrunted with. They will discuss the problem rather objectively without any influence coming from the outside world. As we all know, different nation will have different comments on certain international issues due to their conventions, cultures, moral standards, political stands and economic interests. Out of question, these factors will exert an subliminal influence on the mind of the young people, which will impede them to come up with their proposal that maybe may be effective to solve the persistent social issues. Here I would like to cite such example as a student, from a nation where its main economic income mainly main and mainly comes from the exports of tobacco, will get the criticize from his or her society for his or her proposal that stop the planting of tobacco to solve the pollution and health problem of human being.this sentence is too long and you mixed it up bad

In addition, as young people are the future and the hope of our society, we should provide them such opportunity to cultivate their competence of problem solving. When they enter the society and go into the international realm. They will face lots of thorny problems. With the experience of being educated in such a global university, they are more competent to solve the other problem, at least they will have some thing in mind such as: how to solve the problem, which he or she should consider first, by doing so will bring what predictable influence, et aldo not use it.

All in all, to support the development of a global university designed to engage students in the process of solving the world's most persistent social problems is a wise decision for all nations. Thought there will exist some problems such as faculty, the management of the students, the language, the form of the class, and the arrangement of curriculum and so on. I am sure that these problems will be conqueredovercome if all nations take efforts to such practice and the benefits can be expected to be seensee in the near future.

this is a good essay...did you really composed it in 30 minutes?I think your sentences are too long, and you experience some grammar problems; to sum up, I think you are pretty good for someone that just started, so good luck !

one other thing though... why don't you try to post it corectly? the current topic is completely different..

• 7 months later...

Topic #011:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students? sports activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

People sometimes talk about the usage of money in university. While some people agree the statement that universities should give the same amount of money to all their students, I disagree the statement in that the facilities of universities are not used at the same rate by students and the contribution of student is different according to students.

First of all, the facilities of universities are differently used by students. It is true that universities pay much money in maintaining the facilities, which are used differently used by students. For example, as a engineering student, I have used many computers for my studying, but didn't use the chemical instruments. In this manner, all students differently use their instruments, this fact must be considered when considering using money.

Second of all, every student contribute differently to their university. People agree that the role of students in university are different and this roles make them do different contribution. For example, an entertainer in university can advertise their university for free for his or her university. Likewise, an athlete enable their university to be famous. In this manner, both the role and the contribution for their university must be considered for using the money of university.

In conclusion, although some people may consent the suggestion that universities should give the same amount of money to their students, I personally oppose the statement because every student not only differently uses the facilities of university according to their major but also differently contribute to the university according to their role. I think that true equality means that differentiation according to individuals.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sport activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

The choice between whether schools should give the same amount of money to sport activities as to libraries is a difficult one. On the one hand, if schools give more money to sport activities, this promotes the development of sport. Sports make people healthier and give people much energy. Consequently, students will have better results in studying. On the other hand, if schools sponsor libraries, libraries buy better books. In addition, this will make libraries able to update their books and other facilities more frequently. However, in the final analysis, I believe that universities have to find an equilibrium between sponsoring both sport activities and libraries.

The development of libraries is very important. First, libraries contain books. Books are one of the most common means for obtaining information. It is very important that libraries are able to purchase the amount of books that will satisfy the needs of all students. Furthermore, many books are very expensive and they are important for students because these books give students much information. Second, libraries have computer halls where students are able to study and use the Internet to look up information. Buying modern computers helps students in getting the latest knowledge from computer technology.

Sport activities bring out the best in students. They make students more active and healthy. Sports bring students together and make their life more interesting and exciting. Sports help to prevent such bad habits as smoking and drinking. When universities sponsor sport activities, this promotes the development of many positive qualities in students and improves studying.

It is very important for universities to find an equilibrium between sponsoring libraries and sport activities, because both are important and promote better studying results from students.