Sponsored Ad: (Join for no ads)
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #011: Universities should give the same amount of

Trying to make mom and pop proud

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad: (Join for no ads)
    Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
    ----------

There are many controversies in the issue that universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports activities as they give to their university libraries. With the understanding of a graduate, I am in favor of the idea that libraries need more money to be invested in.

It is undeniable that a library is fundamentally important to a university. A library is the heart of a university where students spend most of their study time here to investigate for their work. It is the ideal place for learning; there is enough space; students can work undisturbed here; a library offers many study equipments. And, most importantly, students can find all the necessary information needed for their explorations in one place. All things will be mirage if a library has not got a financial security.

In the moving world today records change rapidly and knowledge accumulates constantly, libraries need to upgrade regularly. This must be especially significant to a university library because students’ inquiries are always accurate and unfailing. In order to meet students’ needs requires a university to invest a lot of money in its library to buy more books and other media means.

All in all, by driving our cash flow to libraries, students as well as professors can benefit from them in terms of studying and teaching. More importantly, a large amount of annual invested money keeps libraries up to date. Therefore, people must give the most attention and care to libraries.

Nguyen

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    I like your essay. But I have some suggestion.

The topic asks you to choose between spending money for libraries or sports activities. Someone reading your essay could argue that, yes, libraries really need money, but sports activities need money, too!!! Both are useful for students, right? So you should say something why universities should spend MORE money for the libraries.

HTH.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
    Kindness in words creates confidence.
    Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.
    Kindness in giving creates love.
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    I think sport activity could be an option.Give my money back if they spent these money on sport activities.I will go fishing with my friends or camping or travel somewhere else.

Good post? Yes | No
    Erin, your oppinion about my essay?
    Please check it up.

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi!

I want to develop Cinderellahn suggestion.

Your essay is nice and really good, but it is off-topic. You see, you talk ONLY about libraries. Your essay sound like the topic is: 'Should government spend more money on libraries?'. But your topic is: 'Should government spend more money on libraries than on sports?' Topic asks for comparison.

And Cinderellahn welcome to Magician training school!

The post above contains only my own opinion which has nothing to do with official TOEFL

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    This an essay from a book, i don't know its name, but the essay can give you an idea what to write about this topic :

----------------------------------

I disagree strongly woth the idea that the same amount of money should go to university sports activities as to university libraries. Although playing sports is a wonderful way to learn about teamwork, strategy and reaching your goal, it should not be a principal focus of a university education.

Students need the most up-to-date library facilities available to get the best education. Many of those faclities are very expensive to buy and maintain. These include computerized programs and access to Internet research databases that students can use to find information all around the world. If a university is only offering its students resources of a decade ago, it is depriving those students of a tremendous amount of information.

Even the book and magazine budget of universities has gone up immensely in the last decade. More is being published on every subject, and every university wants to have this information available to its students.

It costs also money for universities to keep their libraries open. Students need to have access to all the libraries' research tools as much of the time as possible. Because students are young and can stay up all night studing, many universities are starting to leave their libraries all night open during exam periods. This costs money, because the staff has to be paid extra to be there. It also costs money to run the building (electricity, heat) during that time.

Students at universities are only going to benefit from their education if they can get all the tools they need to learn. Sports are secondary to the resources that students need from university libraries. For this reason, libraries should always be better funded than sports activities.

Tho
    Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hello, guys and gals!
    This is my essay. I think it's a tough topic.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

There are a controversial statement that universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sport activities as they give to their university libraries. Both are essential to students. However, I disagree with the above statement, universities should give more money to their university libraries.

Nowadays, we are living in the world where there are many people going to schools everyday. I am sure that their purposes are to get as much knowledge as possible to find a better job in the future. None of them come to schools to become Magic Johnson or David Beckham. Although sport help us to relax and have better health to study, it is not the key objective of students.

Moreover, technology is changing day by day. We hear about new inventions, new techniques all the time. If student are not sufficiently supplied with good books, good facilities such as computers, internet and so on, it will be very difficult for them to learn, and get necessary knowledge. And they will not meet the demands of the society. Consequently, less people go to universities, they will go to training center instead.

Furthermore, investing much money in students’ sport activities may be wasteful. Most student do not care much about them. Meanwhile libraries are always crowded and frequently used because many students come there to learn.

All in all, with the above reasons, universities should invest more money in libraries than in sport activities. Sport is important, but it is only the second, study is the first.

Your comments are welcome. Thanks a bunch.

Good post? Yes | No
    Hello!

The 4th and 5th paras are too short. Some sentences are a bit too strong (as that one about David Beckham or the 1st sentence of the 4th para).

Overall your essay is nice and neat. I didn't notice grammae mistakes. It's really worth 6.0-5.5, but personally I don't like it. And I don't know why... It lack something.

Anyways, well done. Keep going, you'll reach your dream.
    Renata

Good post? Yes | No
    #011. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sport activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion

A Latin adage says “Mens sana in corpore sano” and the most beautiful thing is to have a healthy mind in a healthy body, by being involved in sport activities. But I think that the students’ main purpose in attending university is not to exercise their body, but their minds and libraries should get much more funds that sport activities.

Libraries are very important in a university campus because students expect to find there all the books, magazines, research papers or other kind of information suggested by their professors .Without having most of those books , students cannot prepare themselves for exams. Also, the bibliography is in a permanent change, as new books are published, new concepts are developed or some old theories are proved to be wrong and replaced with new ones. Therefore ,libraries should have enough funds to permanently update their inventory.

Another reason why libraries need more funds is related to the latest way of stocking and getting information. All university libraries need to have their net of computers ,their data base and Internet connections. These facilities are useful for professors as well, as they can permanently improve their knowledge about the latest discoveries and changes in their fields of activities. These facilities may be affordable for American Universities, but in my own country, they are a real challenge for the entire budget of a university.

In contrast, sport activities are optional for university students and not all of them are involved in individual sports or team games. Thus, there is a lesser demand for sport facilities and equipment than for books and sources of information. In addition, most of the equipment and buildings in a sport center can be used for a much longer period of time than some sources of information from libraries. For example, after five years of use, a swimming pool will provide the same opportunities to exercise, but magazines and some of the books will be for sure outdated.

In conclusion, libraries should have much more money than sport activities because they are the source of information and study materials for all the students and professors from a university . Most of their time ,students prepare themselves for a career or profession and they use only a part of their spare time exercising or participating in sport activities.

Good post? Yes | No
    Hello!

I would really appreciate any comments on this essay. What would be a grade estimate for that??

Thank you very much,

Márcio

11 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Universities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion

Universities, like all companies or individuals, have a limited budget. Due to that, a precious amount of time is dedicated to the discussion of the budget destination. While ones think that Universities should spend the same amount of money on sport activities as they spend on their libraries, others think this situation is unfair.

Some people think that the Universities are not only places for study but also for leisure activities. For example, it would be impossible for one to imagine a university a place with only classrooms, students and teachers. As nowadays the universities are the second home for the students, it is reasonable to expect that sport facilities would be available. While I was at my first year in the University, I realized that during a soccer game it was a much more efficient way to socialize than it was during a class, for obvious reasons. This was very important, as you would normally spend five years of your life, 5 days a week, 5 hours a day with that people.

On the other hand, as we are talking about limited budgets, I think the word “priority” should pop up in our minds. In my opinion, it is very clear that the main purpose of a university is to educate people and as such, it should have at least a good library. Besides that, it is very important to mention that not all the students have the funds to buy the all books required, having to use the libraries frequently. It sounds weird to me the idea of building a 50-yard swimming pool while at the same time having a modest library.

In summary, my opinion is that the core business of a university is to provide education. Given that, I think the sport activities should be in the second place. Of course, it is necessary to have sport facilities in the universities, but the amount of money spent on that should be smaller than that spent on the libraries, for the reasons stated above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information