Urch Forums

[Essay] Why do people work?

batdoi

My essay. I would appreciate anyone's feedback. Thank you.

Essay topic: People work because they need money to live. What are some other reasons that people work. Use examples and details to support your opinion

--------

In one way or another, all people around the world work for the ultimate purpose of seeking a better life. It is widely believed that people work solely for money. However, it is only one of the numerous important purposes of working, and oftentimes there is a lot of benefits that people obtain from working without even consciously realizing them. Nowadays, except for money, people still work for many reasons, including to understand and fulfill their responsibilities in society, to avoid wastefulness, and to keep their minds active.

For many people, the biggest benefit of working lies in a priceless lesson of responsibility. Through working, people learn how to be responsible, first to themselves, then to their families and the society. If working is all about money, why even kids from well-off families, Bill Gate’s for example, bother going to work even though they are guaranteed a wealthy future life whatsoever? It is because they want to be responsible for their own lives, to live on their labor, not on their parents’ fortune. Next, working gives them a strong sense of responsibility for their family and society. Family life is happiest when all members share family work and together contribute to make it a more comfortable and harmonious life. Likewise, a country is most prosperous when every citizen contributes their part to make it thrive.

Another important reason that makes people look for job is to understand the importance of producing property and avoid wastefulness. As a matter of fact, not working leads to indolence; indolence facilitates spending and extravagance. People who don’t work at all have nothing to keep themselves busy, hence often indulge in expensive entertainment, lavish shopping, and so on. Understanding this fact, many people, even privileged ones, choose to work to stay away from wastefulness, and to be helpful. In short, working, or living on what they created teaches them not only the value of labor and property, but also the importance of frugality and economy.

Last but not least, to work is to keep us active and in good shape. Working is about constantly learning and understanding things around us. When we stop working, we spend less time thinking and pondering about things that so far have deeply affected our lives. Soon knowledge is eroded, and our brains become idle and self-indulgent. As time goes on, we gradually lose concern about everything except ourselves. To prevent this from happening, some people, especially the old, still learn and work in various ways even though they have retired. As for the case of a group of sixty year old men in the US I knew about through newspaper, retirement did not prevent them from going to college and doing farming. They said doing these things made them remain active and healthy, and going to college gave them the liveliness of a twenty five year old teenager.

To sum up, working to most people are, although difficult, still rewarding because of the great benefits it brings about. Besides earning money, people also work for many important purposes, including to be aware of their duties, to steer clear from wastefulness, and to stay lively and active. Therefore, I would advise anyone to find a suitable work for themselves because working is the best way through which they can enjoy life.

Just one huge WOW. I'm completely new on the forum and this is the first essay I've read here. I'm really impressed. Everything seems to be perfect. Vocabulary you've chosen is impressive.

As a further reason I would als name an opportynity to express yourself, to change someting in peoples' lives.

Thank you very much, after reading such kind of essays I really feel like practicing.