Urch Forums

Many people have a close relationship with their pets.

Heike

Please tell me what you think about my essay! THANK YOU!!!!

Many people have a close relationship with their pets. These people treat their birds, cats, or other animals as members of their family. In your opinion, are such relationships good? Why or why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

First of all, I want to say that in my opinion pets are very important for people.

The widespread ownership of pets among people of various ages and the effort and money spent on behalf of pets suggests that a majority of owners derive a significant benefit from their companionship. For families with growing children, pets can be part of the social support system and provide opportunities to educate children and for them to experience nurturance. For people in their later years, pet ownership may be more difficult than for younger people because of financial, physical, transportation and housing limitations or restrictions.

The need for social contact and support is often not met for older individuals, who may have lost many friends due to death. However, older individuals can remain socially engaged in various ways, for example such as a companion animal. Of course it is not the same as having friends around, but at least pets give them the feeling of not being alone and not losing the pleasure of life.

I think that pet ownership patterns in childhood are key influences in pet ownership patterns as adults. People who have owned cats as children tend as adults to love cats and early experience with dogs predisposed a love of dogs.

A strong relationship with pets relates to family cohesion, as measured by emotional bonding, boundaries, time use, decision making, interests, recreations and coalitions. I guess family functioning suggests that a close relationship with a pet may be a broad indicator of healthy human or family relationships.

Pets help people in difficult life situations, because they can feel your emotional situation and give you a lot of strength. An animal companion can greatly facilitate establishing friends and much work. But you mustn’t forget that a pet cannot substitude real friends and social contacts. As long as you don’t only live for your pets, a strong relationship to your pets can make your life just more happy.