Urch Forums

#012: Many people visit museums when they travel

vertical_horizon

#12: Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Museum is the place that preserves the facts and testimonies of a nation history, an influential person life or science and art achievements and works and is also the symbol of culture and arcgitercture of a region. For people wanting to widen their knowledge about those, visiting a museum is one of the best way to get the general knowledge of the museum's theme systematically and sufficiently but still saves time. That's the reason why more and more people are visiting museum.

Firstly, visiting a museum gives people the information they want systematically and sufficiently. Museums contain the most necessary facts about figures and events with real testimonies. For example, The World War II Museum shows almost all the important battles with real photographs and real things like planes, maps, etc. These testimonies not also give information systematically (by time order) but also make student visitors remember it longer than their dry and boring textbooks.

Secondly, museums are designed in a most scientific way to save vistors' time. Many are designed with lobbies so that visitors can go to every room they want to. Others are just built as one huge room containing everything in it. Besides there are always guiders to show visitors the shortest way to find things they want to know.

Those above are some among many good things visiting museums brings us. I think with these things, there will be mre and mre people going there in the future.

Hi! VH,

I think you wrote this essay within 30 mins because it's shorter than others before.;)

Museum is the place that preserves the facts and testimonies of a nation history, an influential person life or science and art achievements and works and is also the symbol of culture and arcgitercture of a region. For people wanting to widen their knowledge about those, visiting a museum is one of the best way to get the general knowledge of the museum's theme systematically and sufficiently but still saves time. That's the reason why more and more people are visiting museum.

I feel you introduction little bit confusing. I think it will better if u chop first sentence to 2-3 sentencs and use conjuctions or correlation such as "more over", "in addition"..........

arcgitercture Do you mean "Architecture"?

Those above are some among many good things visiting museums brings us. I think with these things, there will be mre and mre people going there in the future.

mre and mre Do you mean more and more?

you can use microsoft word to correct your spelling :)

Hi!

I agree with atnoon, your introduction is very confusing and too long. The lenght would be normal without the 1st sentence.

I like the 2nd para(graph). It is fluently written, vivid and has some examples from life. Very good, way to go! But... it is a bit off-topic. It sounds that your topic was 'why do people go to museums?' or even 'how is the information presented in museums?' not 'why do turists go to museums?'. Do you feel it? Well, it is very slight problem and you can survive with it.

But we have a bigger problem in the 3rd para. You talk about design of musuems and you don't connect it with your topic. The 3rd para is off-topic.

The conclusion continues the 2nd para: you talk about all people in general not turists or new-comers. It is also off-topic.

I think you should have written what you mean by saying 'these things' in the conclusion.

BTW, your essay in the evidence that you run out off time: the conclusion is so short if we compare it with the introduction.

Ok, I have some tips for you:

1. Read the topic very very careful. Read and understand every word, especially adjectives. Notice the subject of your future essay: is it you? is it all poeple in general? is it students (hihg school or university?)? some specific group of people? etc.? and stick to that subject. Be very careful and cram all topic into your head. For example, it is really easy to write an essay on this topic: Many people visit museums. Why do you think people visit museums? But the reall topic is very different.

2. When you write an essay look at the topic again and again to make sure you noticed everything and didn't forget anything.

3. Read all the topics and mark some tricky ones. Analyze them, mark some ideas or remarks about them.

4. Be sure that you know what to write on every topic. You sad that 30 min isn't enough for you, so save your time. Think about topics today. On the test day you will be able to to generate your ideas for the essay in 1-2 min.

5. If 30 min isn't enough for you to write an essay, firstly write a short introduction and a short conclusion (in general about 6 sentences). This can save you. Just imagine, you wrote a long intro and you didn't managed to finish your essay: it is with no conclusion. Your score would be much lower. I believe, this tip can also help you to stay on the topic.

6. If you are stuck somewhere don't panic and move on. You will come back to it later, you have no time to waste.

7. Be sure that your topic sentences are connected to the topic. This will also help you to stay on he topic. For example, in this essay we have two topic sentences (Firstly, visiting a museum gives people the information they want systematically and sufficiently. and Secondly, museums are designed in a most scientific way to save vistors' time.) and they have nothing to do with the topic.

You have pretty good writing skill, just use them in the most efficient way.

If you have any questions, remarks, doubts let me know them.

HTH! Renata

This post has not been reviewed or endorsed by ETS or any English teacher.

..We seem to have many things to say here :D..

The biggest one is the topic:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12: Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Read the topic very very careful. Read and understand every word, especially adjectives. Notice the subject of your future essay: is it you? is it all poeple in general? is it students (hihg school or university?)? some specific group of people? etc.? and stick to that subject. Be very careful and cram all topic into your head. For example, it is really easy to write an essay on this topic: Many people visit museums. Why do you think people visit museums? But the reall topic is very different.

Umhhh... I spent 3'/30' just to find out wat is the "real question" here. At first I agreed with you that it asks why travelers like to visit museums, but then I considered:

if the question is why travelers.., then why do they use people without modifier, cuz the travelers have been mentioned before. I think "people" here refers to people everywhere. The first sentence of the topic is nothing but an intro. Don't yo think that, Vaya? If you're right then I'm absolutely off-topic in para 2, but if my analysis is not wrong my essay must be in topic.

4. Be sure that you know what to write on every topic. You sad that 30 min isn't enough for you, so save your time. Think about topics today. On the test day you will be able to to generate your ideas for the essay in 1-2 min.

Yes, I'm on my way of marking main ideas of all 185 topics into my notebook. I've done due to your advice before :D

5. If 30 min isn't enough for you to write an essay, firstly write a short introduction and a short conclusion (in general about 6 sentences). This can save you. Just imagine, you wrote a long intro and you didn't managed to finish your essay: it is with no conclusion. Your score would be much lower. I believe, this tip can also help you to stay on the topic.

Yep, I will use this tip in the next essay. The intro of this essay took me 7' [xx(] and now I really regret of that, cuz it actually too long and verbose :p (I lke using this synbol a lot cuz it's very cute)

Next time I will write intro & conclu first, then supporting paras.

thanxx Vaya (of course atnoon, too) for your replies.

verhor

if the question is why travelers.., then why do they use people without modifier, cuz the travelers have been mentioned before. I think "people" here refers to people everywhere. The first sentence of the topic is nothing but an intro. Don't yo think that, Vaya? If you're right then I'm absolutely off-topic in para 2, but if my analysis is not wrong my essay must be in topic.

That is very interesting idea, but I think it's digging too deep. Every word in a topic is here to give you better idea what TOEFL wants from you. Why does the topic mention specific people? Just because somebody wanted it to be longer? I have book which gives about 150 model essays and this one isn't about people in general.

I don't know. Look at the topic #120. Is the 1st sentence just an intro? Perhaps, but agree: it is very helpful. The same story about the topic #4. I don't think that any topic has something not useful.

I don't know, I just make logical thinking...

Yep, I will use this tip in the next essay. The intro of this essay took me 7' [xx(] and now I really regret of that, cuz it actually too long and verbose :p (I lke using this synbol a lot cuz it's very cute)

That's why we are here - to help tou to develop your writing skills and make your essay perfect. Once you did a mistake, but you won't repeat it, right? That's the reason why I write all these posts.

BTW, use this tip and say if it really works (it works for me, but what about others?).

Best wishes, Renata

That is very interesting idea, but I think it's digging too deep. Every word in a topic is here to give you better idea what TOEFL wants from you. Why does the topic mention specific people? Just because somebody wanted it to be longer? I have book which gives about 150 model essays and this one isn't about people in general.

I don't know. Look at the topic #120. Is the 1st sentence just an intro? Perhaps, but agree: it is very helpful. The same story about the topic #4. I don't think that any topic has something not useful.

I don't know, I just make logical thinking...

Umm.. I also think we should especially think carefully about this typev of question.

Let's wait for Erin. While we're waiting I will go & see some exellent essays in the site :D

bye

verhor

• 1 month later...

Here is another essay by dstrauber (Daniela). As I've said before, she's done with the TOEFL, so you don't need to comment on her essay. I'm posting it here just as a sample.

Topic no : 12

Many people visit museums when they travel to new places .Why do you think people visit museums ? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer .

Many people visit museums when they travel to new places . Museums are time capsules .They are the reflection of what a specific society regards as important . In museums we find ideas of people from the past, inventions, art, work of our precedents ,animals and many others.

People visit museums for many reasons : in the purpose to learn about the new place , or because of a personal connection to a subject , or because visiting museums is their hobby .

People visit museums to learn about the history of the new place or to find out about what that place preserved over the years . For example, the Louvre Museum is the heart of western art history . Or the Smithsonian Museum from Washington D.C..People visit the Smithsonian Museum in order to grasp more of the history of United States of America .

Other people visit museums, because of their personal connection to a subject .For example jewish people would visit Holocaust museums in order to learn more about this big issue in the world history for jewish people . Black people would be interested to visit museums like the slave history museums also to find about more about their history .

There are people that love history and their big hobby is to visit museums . People that are preocupied with one hobby would visit everything about that subject .

In conclusion , by visiting museums people learn things about their past or about the world's past . Therefore, in order to learn about a new place, people would definetly have to visit the museum of the new place .

• 1 month later...

This an essay from a book, i don't know its name, but the essay can give you an idea what to write about this topic :

----------------------------------

People love to visti museums when traveling to new places. I think this is because museums tell them a lot about the culture of those places. Museums are also fun. It is almost impossible to get bored in a museum. Every museum will have at least one thing of interest to somebody.

When visiting somplace new, you can found out the culture of that place in many ways. You can go to a movie or a place of worship or a nightclub. Another option is to sit in the park and listen to the people around you. Teh easiest way to learn about a place's culture, though, is by visiting its museums. Museums will show you the history of the place you are visiting. They'll show you what art the locals think is important. If there aren't any museums, that tells you somethink, too.

Museums are fun. Even if you are not interested in art or history, there is always somethink to get your attention. Many museums now have what they call "hands-on" exhibits. These were originally designed to keep children occupied while their parents were looking at exhibits. However, museums have found that adults enjoy hands-on opportunities just as much as children. There exhibits have activities like pushing a button to hear more about what are you looking at, creating your own work of art, or trying on clothes like those on the models in the museum.

People also enjoy visiting museums about unusual subjects. For instance, in my hometown there is a museum devoted to the potato. This museum has art made out of potatoes. It also tells all about the histiry of the potato, and sells potato mementos like key chains and potato dolls. People enjoy visiting this museum because it's diffrent. It's not something that they would find in their hometown and the museum's curators enjoy talking about the Great Potato.

Museums are popular because they are about us. They reflect our creations, our values, and our dreams. No matter who you are or what you like, somewhere there is a museum that will amaze and interest you.

• 2 months later...

Hello Erin!

This topic was on hold because I didn't follow the instructions properly before posting. I am posting the contents in this column again. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

[/hr]

Hi all! Could anyone please review my essays?

I am posting another one just with a hope that one of them would be commented on. What score might I get on this essay?

Museum is a place which collects documents, preserves, researches and above all produces a material evidence of the people of the country, background and their cultural environment. Museums are like a nation's memory bank. People visit museums to learn , seek entertainment , to scour their personal connection with the place and to serve their curiosity of the background of the place they visit.

Museums offer a storehouse of information about how people and societies behave through the ages. We would not be able to understand the influence of technological innovations, or the rise and fall of the Qing dynasty, or the role that beliefs play in shaping family life, if we do not know about the experiences in the past. Visitors entertian their interests in the nations cultural heritage and the predecessors through museums as they offer offer a base for evidence of the society.

Furthermore, museums display evidential historical and present data about how families, groups, institutions and whole nations were formed and about how they have evolved. This provides a sense of identity for the visitors. For instance, the Jewish Museum, opens a window onto history and religious life of the Jewish community in the Britain and beyond. By scouring for the threads of a community one tries to establish one's personal connection to a particular religion, origin and culture.

Museums also serve as a place of entertainment and interactive learning for the visitors. Museums of art, natural history and literature serve to stir up the specific interests of people. For example, in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum of Washington, one would find the history of the innovation of flights which would enlighten their scientific interests. The live architectural models and the chronological listing of progress made at evry decade along with the pictures and maps would be found only in a museum which assert the established facts.

In conclusion, I would like to reinforce that museums have their part to play for visitors for the above reasons and their importance is thus established.

• 4 weeks later...

When people go to visit somewhere, the most popular place they plan to go would be museums. In my viewpoint, there are several reasons why museums became popular place fro tourists.

First, various types of museums cause them interesting. People can find many kinds of museums and each museum has different attractive points. Therefore, people have never gotten bored even through, they visited hundreds of museums. They can always find new intriguing points which represent unique character in every museum.

Moreover, people can always learn something while visiting museums. In every place, there are museums showing history and culture of ancient people in which visitors can learn how their ancestors lived. Moreover, nowadays, museums provide something that can response people’s act. For example, some museums have robots that can speak and tell about museum’s history while people stand in front of them. Moreover, they also have buttons that show some interesting information after they are pushed. Therefore, museums have become the place that we can get tremendous knowledge.

Finally, museums also represent unusual things. For example, in my hometown, there are museums that collect much anomalous information such as the photo of the highest people, some biggest stuffs and other information which not happen in our daily life. These kinds of museums can also attract people’s attention.

In short, many people interest to visit museums because of their diversity. Moreover, museums also represent microcosm of our ancient societies thus giving us the knowledge of our predecessor’s lives. Also, museums collect much unique stuff which shows people’s creativity. All of this points cause museums attractive to any people.

• 4 months later...

It is true many people visit the museums when they arrive in a foreign country. I think that this is because the museums hold important information or proofs about a country's history, culture or any other subject that could interest somebody.

A museum provides essential information concerning a certain subject. If someone wants to find out more about the history, the people’s customs, the art development, the environment of a country, in a short version, he will most certainly go to a specific museum, because there are people that studied very well a certain field and made their best effort to present the information they achieved in an easy and pleasant way that should attract people attention.

By going to a museum, we can achieve knowledge in a pleasant way. In a museum, we will not find, only a considerable amount of information or people that can guide us towards better understanding of certain subjects, but also we can see and touch several artifacts, therefore we are mixing a pleasant activity with a learning activity, like for example looking at and touching a beautiful piece of art while hearing important facts about the artist's life or work.

The museums have the advantage of presenting in a very short way the most important knowledge about the entire development of a country, and that combined with the advantage of using visual contact of certain objects helps the tourists to better acquire and remember important things about the country that they are visiting.

Hi, iuli!!

I noticed that you used gthath instead gwhoh in this essay and two previous essays that are shown below.

Generally, gwhoh presents people, and gthath qualifies things. Although I think you have your own reasons, In my opinion, gwhoh is better than gthath in such cases.

However, I want to see your explanation. Could you tell me your reasons?

Originally posted by iuli

... because there are people that studied very well a certain field and made their best effort to present the information they achieved in an easy and pleasant way that should attract people attention.

I think about a young girl's life that wants to become a worldwide-recognized gymnast.

I think that anybody that really wants to succeed needs to dedicate himself completely to his career, do his best to achieve what he planned, and dream about in the first place.

investing in sport activities sometimes means investing in several good athletes that have achieved great results.

Originally posted by An Min

Hi, iuli!!

I noticed that you used ?gthat?h instead ?gwho?h in this essay and two previous essays that are shown below.

Generally, ?gwho?h presents people, and ?gthat?h qualifies things. Although I think you have your own reasons, In my opinion, ?gwho?h is better than ?gthat?h in such cases.

However, I want to see your explanation. Could you tell me your reasons?

Originally posted by iuli

... because there are people that studied very well a certain field and made their best effort to present the information they achieved in an easy and pleasant way that should attract people attention.

I think about a young girl's life that wants to become a worldwide-recognized gymnast.

I think that anybody that really wants to succeed needs to dedicate himself completely to his career, do his best to achieve what he planned, and dream about in the first place.

investing in sport activities sometimes means investing in several good athletes that have achieved great results.

Hi An Min! Thanks for the comment!:)

Ok, look this is something that I collected from an essay posted by Erin as an example for this topic(look and see)

"There are people that love history and their big hobby is to visit museums . People that are preocupied with one hobby would visit everything about that subject ."

Please notice that it uses "that" instead of "who". I think that is appropriate to use "who" too, I guess that I use "that" because of a bad habit that I developed. I am extremely grateful, that you pointed out this because as you see somebody else used it and I do not know if it is bad to use it or is just more "politically correct" to use "who".

Maybe somebody else will read what we wonder about and enlighten us. I need some help especially, since I saw that someone else who made an essay that was proposed as an example did the same mistake as I did. As you see I am already using "who" and "that" correctly:)

• 1 month later...

I found Vaya's comments really useful. I tried that way to write the folowing.

---------------

Museums are cultural places, where historical objects are exhibited, historical stories are told, and cultural customs are explained. So people when visiting a new place, they tend to go to museums to know and understand the history and culture of that place.

Whenever go to a new city my family firstly goes to museums. Museum visiting introduce us alot about historical facts of the city. And then when we have a sightseeing, we find it more intersesting becouse we know what happend in a particular place, and what role that action played in the history of the city and of the country. Historical knowledge about a place makes it more intersesting, therefore the visiting becomes more valuable.

When discovering a culture of a new place, museums seem to be best places for us. Museums are much more exciting than books, as not like books there are many pictures, maps even films shown in museums. Visiting museums is also the fastest and easiest way to study history becouse things are arranged in logical order or process like in time order. They are also subjected to several aspects such as culture, war, architecture, stb.

Museums are also fun. Many activities are held in museum, for example in a museum in my town, many handicraft works are taught to visitors. People could also enjoy supprising facts of history that they never thought of, or just admire beautiful subjects in museums.

For those reasons, visiting become an advising activity for people, when they go to new places. And infact, with the development of technology, people are trying to make museums more and more attractive.

Originally posted by matek

I found Vaya's comments really useful. I tried that way to write the folowing.

---------------

Museums are cultural places, where historical objects are exhibited, historical stories are told, and cultural customs are explained. So people when visiting a new place, they tend to go to museums to know and understand the history and culture of that place.

Whenever wego to a new city, my family firstly? I am not sure whether it is grammatical..firstly goes to museums. Museum visiting introduce us alot about historical facts of the city. And then when we /have a/ "go" would be better perhaps sightseeing, we find it more interesting because we know what happend in a particular place, and what role that /action/ "event" would be a better word played in the history of the city and of the country. Historical knowledge about a place makes it more interesting, therefore the /visiting/ visit becomes more valuable.

When /discovering/ exploring /a/a would be appropriate if the place you are visiting has several cultures the culture of a new place, museums seem to be best places for us. Museums are much more exciting than books, as not like books there are many pictures, maps even films shown in museums. Visiting museums is also the fastest and easiest way to study history becouse things are arranged in logical order or process like in time order. They are also subjected to several aspects such as culture, war, architecture, /stb. /What is stb?

Museums are also fun. Many activities are held in museum, for example in a museum in my town, many handicraft works are taught to visitors. People could also enjoy supprising facts of history that they never thought of, or just admire beautiful subjects in museums.

For those reasons, visiting become an /advising/ activity for people, when they go to new places. And infact, with the development of technology, people are trying to make museums more and more attractive.

Your essay is nice. You need to pay a little more attention to your spelling and the structure of your sentences.

With regards,

Leena

Thank you very much. Yes, I think I have to practising more but I really need helps.

----

Do you think I can write:

When going to a new city my family.....

My family firstly go to museums ---> my family first go to museums..

Is that better?

stb is etc I confuse with the Hungarian languague. :)

I totally agree with your other comments.

----

• 5 months later...

Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Museums reflect life and culture of people. They can give us much information about the past and contemporary life of society. I believe that there are so many different reasons why people visit museums when they travel to new places.

Once George Santayana said, “Who can not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

Museum are dwellings of history. For instance, one of my most favorite museums is Louvre in Paris. Louvre is a huge museum and it is beautiful. This museum represents not only the culture of France, but also it contains the culture of many other countries around the world. You can see from Egypt and Greece artifacts to things from ancient Asia and Africa to 18th century pictures from Russia. Museums help us to understand history of people through centuries. They are just like books that give us knowledge about life of societies in the past.

Museums represent culture of people. Mostly, when we travel to new places, we do not have much time to spend there. Understanding a culture of people is interesting and exciting. Often it is hard to find a place where we could learn about culture of those countries in a short period of time. There might be many places that reflect culture: theaters, concerts and fairs. Museums are some of them. For example, such museums like Museum of Modern Art in New York and Exhibition of Modern Art in Moscow can give us much information about the culture of people who live in USA and Russia.

Finally, one of the reasons why people visit museums is recreation. Museums are interesting, and many people enjoy spending time there. For example, some people might say that museums help them to reduce stress, because museums make them think about something else and forget about their problems.

People visit museums when they travel to new places for many different reasons. Museums represent culture and history, and they give positive emotions to people that help to reduce stress.

Originally posted by ira

Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Museums reflect life and culture of people. They can give us much information about the past and contemporary life of society. I believe that there are so many different reasons why people visit museums when they travel to new places.

Once George Santayana said, “Who can not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.?

Museum are dwellings of history. For instance, one of my most favorite museums is Louvre in Paris. Louvre is a huge museum and it is beautiful. This museum represents not only the culture of France, but also it contains the culture of many other countries around the world. You can see from Egypt and Greece artifacts to things from ancient Asia and Africa to 18th century pictures from Russia. Museums help us to understand history of people through centuries. They are just like books that give us knowledge about life of societies in the past.

Museums represent culture of people. Mostly, when we travel to new places, we do not have much time to spend there. Understanding a culture of people is interesting and exciting. Often it is hard to find a place where we could learn about culture of those countries in a short period of time. There might be many places that reflect culture: theaters, concerts and fairs. Museums are some of them. For example, such museums like Museum of Modern Art in New York and Exhibition of Modern Art in Moscow can give us much information about the culture of people who live in USA and Russia.

Finally, one of the reasons why people visit museums is recreation. Museums are interesting, and many people enjoy spending time there. For example, some people might say that museums help them to reduce stress, because museums make them think about something else and forget about their problems.

People visit museums when they travel to new places for many different reasons. Museums represent culture and history, and they give positive emotions to people that help to reduce stress.

In the second paragraph, if the reqiurement to learn past is emphasize at the end of paragraph, it would be nicer paragraph.

In the fourth paragraph, the word "For example" is not adequate beacause it means that a special case will be presented. But at here, no special case is presented.

If your opinion is not different to me, please notify me...

• 4 weeks later...

Topic 012:

Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think

people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your

answer.

When people visit new places, they are sometimes considering where to go and

what to do. I think that museum could be one of these places because it

teaches person history of the place and gives people great enjoyment.

More than anything else, the present is the results of the past. All of the

present things result from the past, and nothing is made by itself. Thus, to

better know the place, person is necessary to know the past of there and

there is no place better than museum to meet the purpose. In this repect,

museum can be one of the places to enable person to learn the current of

place within a time.

The next thing i'd like to mention here is that there are many people who

like history itself. People usually have their preference for specific field.

For example, I don't like history but science. If I have a chance to travel

to another place, I look forward to visiting science exhibit. This give me

great pleasure, and I don't have any purpose doing it. In this manner,

visiting museum gives people those who have it as a hobby another pleasure.

In conclusion, if somebody ask me why people visit museums during their

travel, I would not hesitate to answer that it would teach people the present

of place where they are visiting within a quick time and give many pleasures

to those who enjoy itself.