Urch Forums

F-1 Visa chances for PhD

ritendra

Hello,

I am gonna apply for a Visa very soon for a PhD in CS. I have full aid and a partial fellowship. I have my immediate family in India, and have considerable amount of property here. However my main problem is that I have very little liquid cash to show the consular officer. I personally have the intent to return to India after the PhD.

I recently heard that even with PhD with full-aid , chances of getting a visa these days are very low and I must show a lotf of money to have any chance of a visa. I am very worried, as the offer is so good , and yet since I don't have money to show them , my chances , according to some ppl, are very bleak. Please advice me on this . Especially usefult would be Indiands who have had or known of similar situations and what I can do to boost my chances. I am told that for PhD , Visa is even tougher than MS. I am quite baffled as I though , with aid , it was easier.

Thanks.

Ritendra

Hello,

I will apply for loan??? With full-aid ? On what grounds ? That I might have a problem of funding myself after 2 years if I don't do too well? This is sounding ridiculous.. has any of you heard of a case where one had to take a loan of such a huge amount just as a precautionary measure? Please advice , as this is coming as a total surprise.

Ritendra

Hello,

I will apply for loan??? With full-aid ? On what grounds ? That I might have a problem of funding myself after 2 years if I don't do too well? This is sounding ridiculous.. has any of you heard of a case where one had to take a loan of such a huge amount just as a precautionary measure? Please advice , as this is coming as a total surprise.

Ritendra

OK, I am no expert at giving advise. I am but a novice myself- the thought just crossed my mind & I thought I should share it. Yes, in retrospect, it seems that u're right there- applying for a loan after getting full aid might be 'shooting oneself in the foot'.