Urch Forums

H4 to F1 status change

lenz

Hi,

I am currently on H4 visa in the US, and I want to convert to F1 visa. My school allows me to study on H4. But my purpose for the change is to get on-campus job, internship, Optional Practical Training after MS. I'm planning to go to India to get my visa changed to F1, since applying for change of status in US can take an indefinite amount of time. My husband and I have not applied for Permanent residency. I have a few questions regarding converting to F1:

1. What justification is considered acceptable at the US Embassy for converting from H4 to F1?

2. Are there any special documents/forms that I need to submit to US Embassy along with F1 application (over above the regular documentation expected of an F1 applicant)?

Thanks,

lenz

Hi Guys,

This is an answer to my own question. This might help someone else so posting it here. After posting this query, I met with my university's International student advisor. she told me that there should not be any question raised regarding why you want to convert from H4 to F1. Converting from H4 to F1 is not only beneficial to the applicant but also to INS. With each student on F1 visa, INS can track activity of each student.

However, if in case the question is raised regarding why you want to convert from H4 to F1, one must not mention that he/she wants to do on-campus job or desires to do OPT. The only justification that should be given is, I want to study as a full-time student and my university recommends me to convert to F1 to study as a full-time student.

Hope this helps to someone,

Lenz

• 3 months later...