Sponsored Ad:
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Status change from B1 to F1

  1. #1
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Rep Power

    Good post? Yes | No

    Status change from B1 to F1

    Sponsored Ad:

    I would on a business visit to USA on B1 visa and I am interested in pursuing my masters, which means that I want to apply for COS (Change of status)from B1 to F1. I don't know how and when to initiate the process and I have few question about the same.

    1. Do I have to disclose that my purpose of entry is to do my masters ? (many of them say its not required since I'm on B1)
    2. If I have to start the process when can I start it once I enter USA ? (As per my knowledge after going through many websites it says 45 days after entering USA).
    3. Since this is my First visit on B1 is it appropriate for me to go for COS ?
    4. If I get COS done successfully, how long can I stay in USA ?
    5. what are the chances of getting COS done successfully from B1 to F1 ?

    I posted the same questions on another forum they are talking about annotation.. how important is that. If I don't have that annotation will I not be able to go for COS.

    I would really appreciate if any one could help me answer this questions with precision and I need your guidance.

    I am very desperate and nervous as I have to start soon. And my intention is to get the COS done.

    Thank you..


  2. #2
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Rep Power

    Good post? Yes | No
    A better approach would be to seek admission into the university of your choice, get an I-20 from them and go for the F1 visa stamping in your home country. This is the best approach for studying in the US on a student visa.

    Now, if for some reason you do not want to go to the consulate for a visa stamp, then here are the answers to your questions.

    1. Better to not disclose, because a B1 is not meant for studies.
    2. AFAIK, there is no time requirement. But if you have read a 45 day limit somewhere, no harm in waiting for 45 days.
    3. Like I said, it is better to get a F1 stamped from your home country.
    4. Till the duration of your study.
    5. Depends on a lot of factors. Your documentation, finances, ability to convince your intention to return, the school you are seeking admission etc.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. change of status B1 to F1
    By alinsalman in forum Visa
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 12:52 AM
  2. Change of Status from B1 to F1
    By ethan.73 in forum Visa
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 07:28 AM
  3. change of status from H4 to F1
    By stp in forum Visa
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
  4. Change of status H4 to F1
    By bpavan in forum Visa
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 08:32 PM
  5. H4 to F1 status change
    By lenz in forum Visa
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 03:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts