Urch Forums

F1 holder wants to transfer college.

collegestudent0

Tino,

Hi, I'm holding F1 student visa right now. Since I do not have money to pay for

tuition til December, so I am going to skip the fall semester in 2010. and I dun want my family know about this, so i hav to go to the U.S. on August.

I have some plans. First, I am planning to get B1 visitor visa to enter US, then stay at my friends house and look for other colleges. Until the school accepted me and sent me the I-20, then I go to change my visa status in the US. At last, I can study at other colleges on December. Do you think it will work?

Second, do you think I can just enter the U.S. by holding the F1 visa, but I am not going to the school? Do you think the school will report to the the government?

Do you have any good ideas based on my situation?

If I want to get my B1 visa, what should I say about the reason? Can I just explain I want to visit the school campus in the United States? Will they accept this reason?

Thank you very much. I will appreciate it.

Edited by wasleys
Merging posts

You have an well thought out plan, but unfortunately I think you do not know some issues, so let me tell you :-)

1) If you want to change status in the US there are some issues. A) It cost money. I think the fee if you do it by yourself is around $400, but I recommend very strongly that you use an attorney, and that will be at least $1000 in a total in my experience. B) You will not be able to start school until your change of status request is approved. It may take up to 6 months, in my experience, so it is not as easy as just applying for change of status in December 2010 and then starting school in January 2011.

2) If you use F-1 visa to enter the USA you must report to the school and start on school start day on the I-20, or you will be out-of-status. In other words, YES, your school will report you to the govt. And even if they dont, the govt system (called SEVIS) will automatically cancel you.

So basically your plans are difficult since you want to not tell you parents.

Before I can offer you some options, let me ask, what is your nationality? And will you apply for the visa (whatever visa) in your country?

Tino