Urch Forums

About the chances of getting visa in US

wm902

Hi,

Currently I am living in UK (PSW). Recently finished MSc in Information Security.

Wanna apply for MSc in Forensic computing or Cyber-security in US.

has Anyone got any idea if someone has got Masters and want to do Master again in the same field in US,

How would be the chances of getting VISA??

To be honest, I wanted to do Phd, but my MSc result wasnt so good for getting accepted into phd.

There would be question that I have option to study Forensic computing in UK universities, but I found greater prospect of doing MSc in forensic computing or Cyber-security in US. Above all i wanna move.

Any information regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First of all you have to find a good university for your Forensic computing then apply for the university after approving it you can apply for the US student visa.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have selected some good universities in US for Information security or Forensic computing. Hopefully i will be selected for admission in one of those.

But still not sure would there be a problem of getting VISA as I am gonna do Masters again in the same field ??

thanks

The same field will not be an issue, as wm902 said, the issue will be the school (and your ability to pay and support yourself). If you are accepted to a good school and can show the finances to pay for it, you will get the visa.

Tino

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks tino for your reply...As you already know that I am trying to do Computer forensic program.

I have found "John Jay college of criminal Justice, CUNY", for this program. Which in not ranked in TOP 100 for the Computer Science degree. But 10th for Criminal Justice program. As computer forensic program is all about investigating cyber-crime, I am wondering whether this college is good suited for me.

Please reply, if you know any other good rank university offering this program.

Thanks

Getting a US visa isn't that easy.However,I have read an interesting article entitled Proposed housing bill would grant immigrants residence visas. It was about a report about Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) want immigrant home buyers who pay $500,000 or more for a house to automatically receive residence visas. The bipartisan bill, which will soon be considered by Congress, is meant to draw in extra international investment in the U.S.I hope this may help you.:blackeye:

This bill has a lot of issues. First of all, the visa will be NON-immigrant, allowing only to stay in the USA for 3 years, but no work is allowed and it cannot lead to a green card.

Further, it looks like this visa would require the applicant to file taxes in the US, INCLUDING FOR INCOME FROM THEIR COUNTRY, and PAY US TAXES ON THEIR INCOME IN THEIR COUNTRY. I am serious..... so, for now, don't get excited about this visa.... I think it will not be anything a cool as people are hoping.

TIno

Let me add though, the final bill may be different from the proposal now, and further we will not know all the rules and effects until the law is actually implemented. I think it may be that there is a way to immigrate with this visa, but we will have to see.