Urch Forums

L1 holder can get F1

jaindine

Respected Sir/Madam,

Currently I am holding L1 Blanket Visa through my employer in India. Now I want to apply for F1 Student visa for full time higher study in USA. I need your valuable assistance on the following:

1. Can I apply for F1 Visa at this stage?

2. If yes,

a. What will happen to my L1 blanket visa?

b. Whether I have to apply for F1 in India or I can also apply in USA.

c. What are the terms & conditions and process to apply for F1?

Would be highly obliged if you provide me your valuable assistance for the above mentioned queries.

Dinesh Kumar Jain

Yes you can change an L1 to an F1.

You are talking about two different things. There is a visa, and there is a status. You now have an L1 visa. If you want to get an F1 visa, you need to go to the US embassy and apply for an F1 visa. At that time they will probably cancel your L1.

Status is different. If you enter the USA on the L1 visa, you will have the status of L1. You can change this status to F1 (student status) in the USA. Probably you will need to get a lawyer, but it should be easily approved. In this case your status in the USA will become F1, but you will still have an L1 visa in your passport. Then if you leave the USA (say to go home for vacation) you will not be able to re-enter as you do not have an actualy F1 visa.

This is a quirk of the US visa system. The actual visa can only be issued OUTSIDE of the USA, but you can change your visa status in the USA.

Basically you need to consider this: If you apply for an F1 in your country, will you get the visa? If you think you will get it, apply in your country. If you think you cannot, then you can come to the USA and apply to change status in the USA.

Tino