Urch Forums

Visa Status Change from B1 to F1

Saiman Mak

Hi Tino,

I had few doubts about my visa status, i would appreciate if you could assist me on these.

1) I have a 10 year valid B1/B2 visa, I plan to enroll in a one year MBA programe, i would like to know what is the procedure to transfer my visa from B1 to F1, OR is it that i have to apply for a fresh F1 visa.

2) Once i get my F1 visa, what happens to my B1 visa, would that be canceled

3) After my completion of my course do i have to apply once again for my B1 visa.

4) I am an Indian national but currently work in Kuwait, is there any restriction on us to apply for F1 visa from any other country other than from your country of origin? ( i got my B1 visa from Kuwait)

Saiman Mak

1) I have a 10 year valid B1/B2 visa, I plan to enroll in a one year MBA programe, i would like to know what is the procedure to transfer my visa from B1 to F1, OR is it that i have to apply for a fresh F1 visa.

You have two choices

a) Change your STATUS from tourist to student after you arrive in the USA. You will NOT get an F-1 visa, but you will have F-1 STATUS. This means that you will be in the USA as an F-1 student; however, if you leave the USA you will not be able to re-enter as a student because you will not have an F-1 visa.

b) Apply for an F-1 visa in your country.

2) Once i get my F1 visa, what happens to my B1 visa, would that be canceled

They should not cancel your B1 visa

3) After my completion of my course do i have to apply once again for my B1 visa.

No. Assuming it is still valid.

4) I am an Indian national but currently work in Kuwait, is there any restriction on us to apply for F1 visa from any other country other than from your country of origin? ( i got my B1 visa from Kuwait)

Same as B1. You just have to show a legitimate reason for applying in Kuwait. Being a legal resident of Kuwait who is working there should be a good enough reason.

Tino

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Tino

I am really hoping that you can be of assistance to me.

I am currently in the USA on a B1/B2 visa. During our vacation here I decided that I would like to study in the USA as I would like to continue touring the States while I study.

I have found a school that is SEVIS approved which I can attend, however, I will have to change my visa status from the B1/B2 status to a student visa status. My questions regarding this are as follows:

1) Will I be able to remain in the USA and change my visa status without having to return to South Africa to change it?

2) If I am able to change the status in the USA, how do I go about doing it?

I am really looking forward to hearing back from you. I would like to start school in a month from now and it is important for me to handle this as soon as possible.

Thanking you in advance

Megan

Hi Tino

I am currently in the USA on a B1/B2 visa. During our vacation here I decided that I would like to study in the USA as I would like to continue touring the States while I study.

I have found a school that is SEVIS approved which I can attend, however, I will have to change my visa status from the B1/B2 status to a student visa status. My questions regarding this are as follows:

1) Will I be able to remain in the USA and change my visa status without having to return to South Africa to change it?

I am really looking forward to hearing back from you. I would like to start school in a month from now and it is important for me to handle this as soon as possible.

Thanking you in advance

Megan

HI,

Could you please tell me is it possible to change my visa status from b1 b2 into f1 student visa

Hi Tino

Thanking you in advance

Megan

Dear South Arican Meg

I have the same problem like yours i have b1 b2 visa i and would like to change my status into student visa which is f1 is it possible to do that without leaving usa.

Could you please tell me is it possible to change my visa status from b1 b2 into f1 student visa

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi every body,

I have the same problem. I have B1/B2 and want to go to some English business courses for my job at USA after I went here. I heard that it is hard to change the status to F1 and I have to come back to my home town to get F1 stamp. But can I change the status without leaving US?

The university where I wish to apply to adviced that I can study part-time for Intensive English Course.

So if after finishing this course, then can I apply as F1 formally?

Hope to receive any advice from you all.

Thank you

• 1 year later...

Here is my story… I have tried to change my status from a B1-B2 tourist visa to an F1 student visa when I came to the US. It took a very long 5 months and it is not over yet. Read and learn!

• I entered the country on an B1 visa on the 5th Dec 2010
  • I applied for San Antonio Community College on 19th of March and finally submitted my I-539 and I-20 forms on 29th Apr 2011. The school submitted them for me, after I paid all the fees.
  • The International Student Office told me that I would get the visa in 6 weeks, in time for Summer School. Went back a couple of weeks later to submit more documents and was told by Rosa Pobles at the International Student Office that the visa will take 2 and a half months to process, which coincided with the message from USCIS.
  • Rosa went on maternity leave, I also tried calling Christine repeatedly but then discovered she resigned…
  • I fell out of B1 status on the 4th of June, my I-94 expired.
  • I waited and called USCIS the whole summer. In July, I found out that my papers were sent to a processing centre in Vermont that was currently processing papers received on the 12th of March… I could not obtain any information on the speed at which they process these papers. I applied for an expedited processing by phone quoting financial distress. Strangely, the response to my request was sent in 5 working days- it was a NO!
  • I received a Request for more Information from USCIS on the 10th of Aug,.. the school semester was supposed to start on the 22nd of Aug- almost lost hope…

I called a lawyer I initially consulted- Ms. Ruth McChestney and Faye Kolly at DeMott and McChestney in San Antonio. They charged me 500 USD promising me that “they will send the papers immediately (it was a Fri) and there is a small chance the USCIS will reply in few days, in time for the school semester. I was already registered for classes, after many trips to the school and a special request. They did not file the documents until a week later, on the 22nd of Aug when the semester started. I would not have paid if I would have known there is no chance to get the papers by the 22nd of Aug, felt cheated.

• It turned out that the San Antonio Community College- SACC did not submit my financial records- none! I had provided bank statements and a sponsorship letter stating I have the funds to sustain the tuition fees and the living expenses for the duration of the course
  • I got the approval of my F1 status on the 22nd of Sep!! that was almost 5 months. The document was stating that I should begin school on the 17th of Oct, which would mean I have to take courses I do not need for my major, as all the courses I need are not offered in Flex 2. I am planning to talk to the lawyer and find a way to start my courses in spring… I hope it works.