Urch Forums

change of status from H4 to F1

stp

I am currently in US on an H4 visa. I have just been admitted to Cal state university at LA for my MBA which starts in May 2008. I want to pursue the MBA on an F1 visa for which I have not yet applied, but will be doing so by April 2008. My MBA is a 1 year course. Will I be eligible for the OPT after a 1 year course on the F1 status? My primary concern is this: will my status be considered as F1 from the day I apply for visa change (1st week of April 2008) OR from the day I join school (May 2008) OR from the day I receive the F1 visa (which could be about 2 months after school starts). Will I have to apply for my OPT 12 months after I apply for F1 OR start school OR receive F1? This is important because if my F1 status is considered from the day I receive the F1 visa, 2 months after school starts, then I cant apply for the OPT before the end of the 4th quarter of MBA.

Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey Guys,

I am a newbie to this forum..I found this forum and its members very helpful..I also need guidance on my Visa issue..

I came to US on H4 visa and now I have got admission for MS for the fall qaurter 2009..I want to go to India this december and I am aware that if I change my visa to F1 ,I may be rejected stamping when in India...

Can I apply for F1 and not change the status (remain in h4)..then go to India for the F1 stamping and if they reject F1 ,can i still come to US on my H4 visa which is valid for one more yr.:hmm:

Thanks in adivce for your help