Urch Forums

Change of Status (visitor visa into student visa)

soneeka

I am in Japan now.Its been 7 years here.My residence status is valid working visa.I am working here as a teacher in vocational college.

Just after my recent visit to USA, I really liked the country/ lifestyle and planning to move there next year on april 2009.I plan to visit there as a visitor visa and join english language institute. But I am worried, if I will be able to change my status into student visa or not..Please advice me, if this is a wise decision...

Please help me to decide, since I am really getting tensed these days thinking about my future career.

By the way, my nationality is Nepali.

• 2 weeks later...

If you were Japanese I would advise to apply for a student visa. However, it may be hard to get as you are Nepali (I dont know, for Japanese it is very easy... for Napali in Nepal it is very hard). Anyway, it is easy to change status in the USA but it will cost you around $1000.

Tino

In my experience you should be able to change status.

You cannot legally work in the USA with a student visa or student status. (You can work 20 hours or less a week for your school.)

Can you speak/write Japanese?

What part of the USA do you want to go to?

Tino

In my experience you should be able to change status.

You cannot legally work in the USA with a student visa or student status. (You can work 20 hours or less a week for your school.)

Can you speak/write Japanese?

What part of the USA do you want to go to?

Tino

I know I cannot work in USA with a student visa but after I join school..my plan is to search job there and if possible change status again into working visa.

And yess, I can speak and write japanese.I am working as a teacher here in vocational college and my lectures are all in japanese.I need to use japanese everyday here.

I like NYC, DC, any place in MD, Atlanta, NJ and Texas.Most of my friends and relatives are there.Some are students, some are working and some have Green card and US citizen too.

• 7 months later...

Dear Tino,

I am really hoping that you can be of assistance to me.

I have really important decision in my life so i need your help i try to search on internet but i got confuse,

I'm in USA under the b1 b2 visa which is visitor visa i want to study in usa, can i change my status into f1 visa?

Can you provide more information where i can find excatly information?

Thanks,

Vlatko