Urch Forums

Best ACT prep books?

Erin

I got a PM from Pintudao about ACT books, so I thought I'd start a thread about it here.

Pintudao, to be honest, I don't have that much experience with the ACT. I have taught it a few times in the past, but nearly to the extent that I have the SAT, GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, and a few other tests.

That said, I honestly think that the ACT is a much more straightforward test than the SAT and is therefore easier to learn and study for than the SAT.

Probably the best book to get would be the official ACT publication, The Real ACT Prep Guide. This looks like it's not yet been published, so I haven't actually used it myself. I have, however, looked at Getting into the ACT. It's a good book.

In general, the most important study materials to get are the official publications. If you need more material, probably Princeton Review or Kaplan books would be good, although I haven't used them myself.

Good luck! :tup:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

If we order many books from Amazon at the same time, will Amazon charge the shipping at the cost of one book or for each book we order? Will Amazon offer the free shipping after the first book if we order many books at the same time? Or do you know other web sites for buying SAT and ACT preparation?

Knok

If we order many books from Amazon at the same time, will Amazon charge the shipping at the cost of one book or for each book we order? Will Amazon offer the free shipping after the first book if we order many books at the same time? Or do you know other web sites for buying SAT and ACT preparation?
Knok, I order from Amazon all the time, and I've never had anything but superb service from them. They also pack their books extremely well; sometimes I wonder how they are able to make a profit. I did recently have trouble with one of their marketplace sellers, but I told Amazon of the problem, and they refunded ALL of my money and even gave me a $20 gift certificate for my trouble.

Last I checked, as long as your order is over $25, shipping is free (just be sure to choose the free shipping option--when you check out, the shopping cart automatically chooses shipping that's not free). And if only part of your order is ready, they will ship whatever's ready first, then the other stuff when it becomes available, without charging extra for shipping. On top of that, you can check your account anytime, and Amazon tells you the status of your order, tracking information, and estimated shipping dates and times for all items shipped or not.

I suggest you try some official publications first, such as The Real ACT Prep Guide and Getting into the ACT. Official materials are always best. And remembering your other thread about whether or not to take a Princeton Review course, I should say that you should get these materials no matter what, although Princeton Review might give you these books as part of their course material if you decide to enroll your son in that course, so you might want to ask them to be sure.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

i agree with cambridgedove about moderate/tough

i have used both books for sat barrons and kaplan.barron is really too comprehensive and harder than real thing but on the other side it prepares you for the worse.so kaplan is for those who want good scores and barron is for those who want near to perfect score like 2300-2400 on sat.

• 1 year later...

This isn't a hardcopy book per say, but I would check out "bench prep" if I were any of you. They take content from text books, digitize it, and then make apps which are very interactive and fun to study with.

It is an amazing alternative to traditional textbooks and expensive prep classes.

Edited by Erin
Multiple account spammage reduced...