Urch Forums

ACT - June 11th 2005

babypurin

Does anyone plan on taking the ACT on June 11th 2005 administration? If so, what have you been doing to prepare?

Right now, in the midst of all my finals I've tried to get a mix of ACT prep and final prep, however, since most of my finals are things tested on the ACT, I'm finding it also pretty useful.

I heard a rumor that the ACT is easiest in June because all the people who are taking it for sports scholarships take it at the end of their Junior year.

Do you have any tips or tricks?

I'm planning on taking it in June... but I have done no preparation whatsoever because I've been on a retreat for the apst few days. However, I'm just taking it to see if I like the ACT better than the SAT. However, I'm thoroughly scared because all of my friends say it's a pain. As much as everybody disagrees with me, I suggest the skimming passages thing for the ACT because there is VERY little time for everything... also, I advise you to guess the hell out of things because there's no point deduction for wrong answers, at least, that's what my friends said.

Ok, the test is probably finished in most of the country...What did you think?

English - Easy

Math - Harder then usual :(

Reading - Everything was easy, besides the Prose Fiction Passage

Science - Easy, except that stupid passage with Albert Einstein/Planets

Writing - Easy Topic

+ what really made me happy was the fact that I finshed Reading/Science without running out of time

Ok, the test is probably finished in most of the country...What did you think?

I hated it... sigh...

English - easy... grammar's always easy...

Math - heh... I thought it was pretty easy... unsure about a few...

Reading - egh... I finished... but reading isn't my strong point

Science - oh my gosh the thing was a b****... I couldn't understand that mercury heating... whatever passage that was... my mind went blank...

Writing - started an essay, realized it was extremely hostile, then restarted...

Well, it was my first ACT... not sure how it went, but I hope I did well on the English and Math... and if I don't, I'll be in tears... well, not really... but I'll be disappointed... I hope I do well overall, though...

Did you happen to get a lot of repeat choices in the Reading section? Like the answer choices seemed to focus on just on a few letters.

yeah... I had a lot of like C's and D's... and lots of the same answer in a row... on the reading and the math... and the english... and just... a lot... heh... I'm hoping they're right, but egh... we'll find out in a couple weeks...

With the writing test its about 3hrs and 20 minutes. If you still can't crack the SAT then you should most definitely try taking the ACT. The only reason people don't like it is because the ACT has extremely rough time constraints, e.g. 35 minutes to answer 40 comprehension questions and read 4 passages.

• 2 weeks later...

yes they are... and I'm slightly disappointed in my scores because my stupid Science and Reading scores dropped my composite... GRRRR!!!

ACT Composite 31

Test Score (1-36) Subscore (1-18) Subscore (2-12)

English 33

Usage/Mechanics 17

Rhetorical Skills 17

Mathematics 32

Pre-Algebra/Elementary Algebra 18

Int. Algebra/Coord.Geometry 15

Plane Geometry/Trigonometry 15

Reading 29

Social Studies/Science 16

Arts/Literature 14

Science 29

Combined English/Writing 31 Writing 09

so... that's like a 1380 SAT verbal plus math... which is lower than my SAT score... heh... I think I'd be better off sticking with the SAT. No science to lower my score. I've always hated reading comp, and science comp killed me.

I'm really nervous about seeing my scores because this was the last chance to take it during my un-stressful junior year. Next year I'm going to need to spend more time studying for school, so I'm worried that I won't have time to study for these tests.

• 4 weeks later...
Not really. There are a bunch of state colleges that will require it.

Their will be many colleges that will require the Writing Section but the UC's will be the only school system that will be using the English/Writing Subscore to figure out your composite.

Note: At the present moment the English/Writing subscore does not affect your composite.