Urch Forums

Columbia SEAS pr Cornell Engg (MEng)

kushagra452

Hi,

Congratulations!!! I have applied to Columbia MEng program as well and I am awaiting a reply. When did you hear from them and how long did it take to process you application. I am anxious to hear as well.. As far as a comparison between Columbia vs Cornell, I would say that columbia is a better option, but both are still excellent programs and you should feel very proud of yourself for your achievement.

Please post some info on your scores as well...

Thanks and Good luck..

My scores were 1500 GRE and 117 toefl. gpa 7.6/10 (distiction)

I too am inclined towards columbia. Cornell is the MEng program whereas Columbia is MS (research thesis). Also Columbia offers a chance to apply for an RA/TA. Cornell program has no fin aid :(.

I applied to Columbia in the middle of Jan. Got the response in the first week of March.

Thank You.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

shekh

i agree about the rankings. but i reckon there is a higher probability of getting a scholarship from Columbia as compared to Cornell. I am keeping both the options open right now. As for USC vs Columbia, dude, its a tough call.... Check out the funding options at both the places. i wud suggest tht take the rankings with a pich of salt. Congratulations! for your acceptances

Cheers

Best of luck

gud to hear someone taking side of columbia ( i personally like columbia better)...bt from wht i have heard on some orkut communities --there's great option for placemnts only for ms in finance n economics guys in columbia and tht EE companies r nt to be seen around there ..while usc does have a better case than tht..

columbia have only MS program to offer right? ..MEng, i didnt see tht..

Well... The engineering grads of Columbia do land up good jobs in the finance and banking industry (historically speaking). But since the market is really bad right now... the case might be different. I have a friend doing his PhD at Columbia... and he and his 5 friends all got good internships and subsequently jobs at big firms like Morgan stanley, goldman sachs etc...

Cornell's image as an engineering school is really envious. Its curriculum and prestige (in engineering circles) rivals that of MIT and Berkeley. Cornell too does a good job in placing students in excellent places.... but it has a MEng (9 months) program (non-thesis) as compared to Columbia's MS (thesis)...

Looking ahead... say in 2011... hopefully the economy will bounce back... and the worst over. Considering this fact... I personally think... NYC and columbia will give a grad student with more options when he goes hunting for a job/internship.

Both schools are really cool.... Ivy League and all.... i guess one just has to take trust one's gut instinct and take a call.

Best of Luck

Cheers!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

i have been admitted to Cornell M.Eng in ORIE (Industrial and Manufacturing Concentration), M.S IE at Columbia and MS IE at Georgia Tech....how would you rate these programs?

I was actually not even considering Columbia...But i see you guys feel thats the best option...

• 1 year later...

Columbia's MS degree is not thesis based. All you have to do is finishing all 30 credits of coursework with no capstone project or thesis required at the end. But they do give you a MS degree rather than a MEng degree.

USC vs Columbia?? Come on, this is a no brainer. COLUMBIA!!!!

USC is a school with reputation that you don't have to be smart to get in if you have the money. Any school would be a better choice than U$C.

• 4 weeks later...