Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Admitted: CMU & GaTech ACO (Algorithms, Combinatorics and Optimization)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Question Admitted: CMU & GaTech ACO (Algorithms, Combinatorics and Optimization)

Sponsored Ad:
    I'm admitted to the ACO Program (Algorithms, Combinatorics and Optimization) of CMU and GaTech [the web-pages: ACO Program Home Page and Ph.D. Program in Algorithms, Combinatorics, and Optimization]
    Those programs are essentially a nice mix between computer science, mathematics and operations research.

I'd like to get you feedback concerning GaTech vs. CMU
    The thing is, at CMU I was rejected via the Computer Science Department, but accepted via the Tepper School of Business (CMU), essentially the Operations Research group.
    [web-pages: Home : Tepper School of Business resp. Operations Research (Tepper)]
    The faculty I want to work with is mainly located at the math/computer science department.
    [I explicitly mentioned that in my application and in the ACO program I can indeed potentially work with all the faculty involved, including math and computer science]
    Do you think I'm dazzled/fooled by just looking at CMU as a great place for CS? (My preference is somehow for CMU)

On the other hand GaTech is ranked quite well in all three aspects of the ACO program, but much of their faculty mentioned on the web-page has in reality already left :-(

What do you guys think, what should I do?

Thanks a lot!!!!!
    Lars

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    the faculty and the dept matters alot...

if the gatech faculty has left... then CMU will be a better option any day. U need a good mentor and dept to help u achieve your goals... do consider all the aspects before taking a call.

best of luck

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Question

thanks for your feedback.

Well, look, in the aco-program faculty members from several departments participate (cf. ACO Program Home Page) and hence I am not limited to my "own" department. (Hence this usual restriction does not exist in this case/there programs)

Do you still think that "just the name" of your home department - as opposed to the program you are in - counts so much?

Thread Information