Urch Forums

Duke MA Information

apple12

Hi! I'm a rising senior at a decent (top 50) LAC. I'm not really sure what I want to do after I graduate, but I've considered graduate school in economics. In particular, I'm interested in Duke's MA program. I have a 3.90 GPA and decent GRE scores, so I'm confident that I'll be accepted and have been told that it's likely I'd receive a substantial tuition waiver and won't take out loans. I'm interested in getting a Ph.D in economics but 1) don't have a ton of upper level math courses (such as real analysis) 2) don't know if I can stomach being in school until my late 20s, and 3) can't really see myself working at a university (I'm thinking maybe more Fed, IMF, or maybe even private sector).

So my question is, do you think the Duke MA program is a good idea for me? My primary goals would be to decide if I want to get a Ph.D. in the future and take more upper level math courses to prepare me if I do decide to go for a Ph.D. Particularly, do you think this program is a good use of two years of my life and does anyone have any knowledge of the degree's usefulness in the private sector? Duke's website makes it seem like they have good Ph.D. placements but gives less info on their job placements.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Do you think that your current profile is enough to get the job you want now without pursuing higher education? If yes is it the type of job that wouldn't be limited by your educational attainment? If no what is your alternative, doesn't seem like a bad program to apply to especially if you don't get into any other programs. Though I know little about Dukes program specifically, an application there and a few other places sounds like a good bet to me.

I wish I saw this earlier when my advice would be more useful, but here you go. My first recommendation would be to get an RA position at a Fed. It gives you a thorough taste of the life of a researcher, and also the opportunity to take courses at nearby universities (I know some Feds would even you pay for you). If you do end up applying, you will have gained research experience and recommendation letters from solid economists who have worked closely with you for two years or so. If you find that phd is not your thing, you might have the chance to transfer to another policy-oriented department in the Fed, or go somewhere else with a nice resume entry and some savings. A MA is great preparation for phd for sure, but its value will probably be much lower if you don't end up doing one. Given your potential interest in a non-academic career, RAing at the Fed or similar institutions might be the best option, and you should have a shot with your credentials.