Urch Forums

Barcelona GSE or Tinbergen?

owly

Hi all,

Got accepted to both programs in economics. Barcelona offers tuition waiver and Tinbergen offers tuition waiver+1060 euros monthly stipend. Barcelona seems to be a more praised school but I have no idea what is the continuation ratio to UPF from there (which I would prefer). I have found scarce comments on Tinbergen but it is almost certain you can continue studying for PhD there if you perform well enough. Also they give enough to cover my living expanses, which is amazing. I am leaning towards Tinbergen but also I am very confused. I am particularly interested in studying econometrics (preferably applied). Any help and comments would be appreciated; I am in need of serious help!

If you are interested in econometrics I would recommend TI. UPF/BGSE is a great school for Macro and some applied areas (political, labor....) but TI in my opinion is way better in Econometrics. Also continuing with a PhD after the masters is more likely at TI. At UPF you have to compete with your classmates and the top n students get to stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot! This reply was really helpful and I have chosen Tinbergen:)

If you are interested in econometrics I would recommend TI. UPF/BGSE is a great school for Macro and some applied areas (political, labor....) but TI in my opinion is way better in Econometrics. Also continuing with a PhD after the masters is more likely at TI. At UPF you have to compete with your classmates and the top n students get to stay.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sure, everybody I have talked to loved it in Tinbergen and the funding there is really good.

The Barcelona GSE master is particularly badly managed. They tend to make announcements but then do not commit to them. It was announced that students need to take all advanced classes in order to get admitted to the PhD program at UPF. However, due to "miscommunication issues", some people who took only 2 or 3 advanced courses were admitted to the PhD program (while others that took the advanced courses did not.)

The placement of the Barcelona GSE is overrated. If you look at the people, they are mostly local students from Barcelona who did their undergraduate degrees at UPF. That is, they use their connections and grades from the undergrad at UPF to apply to top 20 US PhD programs during their master year at the Barcelona GSE.

Sure, everybody I have talked to loved it in Tinbergen and the funding there is really good.

The Barcelona GSE master is particularly badly managed. They tend to make announcements but then do not commit to them. It was announced that students need to take all advanced classes in order to get admitted to the PhD program at UPF. However, due to "miscommunication issues", some people who took only 2 or 3 advanced courses were admitted to the PhD program (while others that took the advanced courses did not.)

The placement of the Barcelona GSE is overrated. If you look at the people, they are mostly local students from Barcelona who did their undergraduate degrees at UPF. That is, they use their connections and grades from the undergrad at UPF to apply to top 20 US PhD programs during their master year at the Barcelona GSE.

Part of this info is outdated. Yes they did misscomunicate in the past but since last year it has become a very clear and enforced rule.

Regarding the masters placement I disagree. If you do Macro or applied stuff (look back at my previous comment) the placements are excellent even for non UPF undegrads.

However the PhD itself does not have amazing placements. So great Masters program placements, weaker PhD placements.

I stand by my previous comment were if you already know you want to do Metrics, or Micro, or behavioral, then TI (and others) are better than UPF. There is just a lack of well published faculty in some areas, or well published and still young.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...