Urch Forums

Alicante or Barcelona (for MSc)

Hi guys

I got admitted for a Master at both University of Alicante and University of Barcelona ("UB", not UAB, not GSE).

I guess I would like to continue with a PhD afterwards but I also want to be able to work, preferably in international organizations and/or research institutes.

My research interest lie in Micro more than anything, both theory and applied (development, industrial, behavioural, public).

I have an undergrad in business with average marks, no math at all, and several years of work experience in an area that UB does well in (they offer several specializations and my field is included in their Industrial Organizations modules)

However, Alicante seems to be better (though not in rankings) in general Micro Theory, and alumni tend to be strong in methods like networks and math rather than economics, much less applied economics.

UB has 2 math modules that sound more challenging than UA. Is that an advantage (learn more) or disadvantage (risk of failing or low mark) for me?

On the other hand, Alicante's econometrics modules sound more challenging than UB's (rather applied), though both offer further econometrics electives in year two. I've done quite a lot of statistics and econometrics so that's less of an issue for me than maths.

What is more important for economics - math or econometrics? Can you be a good economist without pure math stuff?

It seems that some places favour engineers, mathematicians and even scientists over economists for admission so I'm wondering if there is any use at all for economists with less-than-superb math skills.

I have been told by UB that about 25% of students manage to get a GPA of 8/10 or higher, which is their threshold for PhD admission. Alicante's program allows for a rather smooth transition to the PhD stage unless your GPA is below 7/10.

I'm not sure if I can stay at either uni for 5 years though, I'm married and my wife is pursuing her career elsewhere so I may decide to follow her after the Master stage.

Any thoughts, hints, tips?