Urch Forums

How does schools detect fake transcripts?

I do not know about others but 3 of the universities where i applied have called my undergraduate college and cross cheked the authenticity of LORs and the transcripts.

This is told to me by my sources in the college adminstration staff.

Wht do they cross check about?

a.) The authenticity of LOR tht whether the teachers have actually written it or not?

b.) The certificates which the student has produced?

c.) The character of the student?

Well it wld b a hell lot of tedious task for these colleges to enquire abt each n every student! Hw do they enquire? Telephonically or by postal mails? I m sure my college wld never gonna relpy to postal mails.

Well it wld b a hell lot of tedious task for these colleges to enquire abt each n every student! Hw do they enquire? Telephonically or by postal mails? I m sure my college wld never gonna relpy to postal mails.

Exactly !

And this is the reason i think they filter out the students first.In my case all the 3 universities that enquired about me have given the positive decision.So IMO only those students are crosschecked whom university wishes to admit.Again there can be some filtering criteria further . One of my friend who was a faculty of Coumbia told me that universities generally enquire about those on whom they doubt about the authetecity.Something like , if the LOR is from less experienced proffessor,grades are low etc etc.

In my case i had 1 LOR which was written by a proff who recruited just 5 years ago.So there can be a various criteia which gets applied to students and only then they are enquired.Like simba said , crosscheking thousands of applicants is hell lotta work [:p].

In my case i had 1 LOR which was written by a proff who recruited just 5 years ago.

and hw did they knw abt the date of his recruit?

u mean to say tht 1st student is short listed based on the facts he/she prosuce, then they try chkin the authenticity of those facts, those appear to b faked are cross checked. Well thts sounds fair!

but wht is the prob if the prof is recruited just a month ago? If he knows the student, then its absolutely fine!

In all my LORs i requested my proffessors to include their full name,designation and no of yeares of esperience below their signature.

Well, IMO , experience of the proff matters in LORs as weel as their designation because it shows the kind of *hold* he/she has in the department of the college.

• 1 month later...
Hi, everyone.I am student in China and some of my classmates apply for universities in US. Some of the universities checked their transcripts by phone(they will let chinese students or someone who know chinese to call the school). In general,the school will cooperate with the university.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...