Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do NOT violate copyright!

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Exclamation Do NOT violate copyright!

Sponsored Ad:
    I'll cut to the chase here. Do NOT violate copyright laws. Do NOT make requests of others to do the same. Do NOT link to sites that are widely known to violate copyright laws. Offending members will be banned.

I know some of you will wonder why I'm using such strong language. Over the last year or so, a few things have happened behind the scenes that I'm not really at liberty to discuss, but here is one thing I can tell you: One of our members recently called me on the telephone. S/he had received a phone call directly someone from ETS in New Jersey about a post s/he made here. ETS threatened some sort of action against the test taker, but a final decision wasn't made when I talked to this person. S/he was told that the matter would be referred to committee for discussion, and that's all I know about it.

But there's more that all of you need to be aware of.

This is what I'm sure of: Our forums are being monitored by large organizations and their lawyers. At least one company is using a bot to scan our forums for certain content. Some members here participate at least partly in admissions decisions at prestigious schools.

This is what I suspect: I believe our forums are read by paid admissions officers from various schools. I also believe that some of our members are notifying schools and organizations of copyright infringement.

Folks, it is just wrong to violate copyright laws. If you see any copyright violations, please notify me immediately.

I'd like to keep this thread open for thoughtful discussion of the issues here, and although I welcome your feedback, I really have no choice in the matter in terms of the action I must take.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    While I agree that no one should violate copyright law, and I think WAY too many people here link to sites that are using copyrighted material as content and then using google adwords to make money, in other words: stealing work and selling it.... basically thieves, I do not think that admissions departments at any universities are monitoring posts here in some attempt to find out bad people and have that effect their admissions. (which seems to be what you are hinting). I imagine that is illegal, but even more to the point, impossible.....

Also, I have noticed that most of the free material on TOEFL out there is all for the OLD TOEFL, not the iBT, so just a note to all TOEFL people: that free material is not only stolen, it is also probably worthless to you!

Cheers,

Tino

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    Tino, I'm not sure what may come of a paid admissions officer reading these threads; I simply suspect some do.

I agree with you about the spamming to download sites just to make money from Google.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

What is Copyright Infringement?

Thanks Erin for bringing it up.

Many international students may not be aware of this issue.

American society takes this issue seriously. You may be kicked out of schools if you violate this law.

What is copyright infringement?

Please read the link below.

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

Knok
    "Whatever you do in life, will be insignificant,
    but it is very important that you do it
    because nobody else will."

Hello - Lionel richie - ORIGINAL

Good post? Yes | No
    BTW, as a public service message, I would point out that it's never a good idea in any forum to use your real name. Getting slapped on the wrist by ETS is nothing compared to having a stalker.
    Last edited by CalmLogic; 01-03-2007 at 12:20 PM.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage Tseprep's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

I never thought about that ...

Quote Originally Posted by CalmLogic View Post
    BTW, as a public service message, I would point out that it's never a good idea in any forum to use your real name. Getting slapped on the wrist by ETS is nothing compared to having a stalker.
    It makes sense, let's be careful but helpful.

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    See those 112 guests on the forum right now? That's a bot from a company that scans websites for copyright stuff.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Good post? Yes | No
    ETS threatened some sort of action against the test taker, but a final decision wasn't made when I talked to this person. S/he was told that the matter would be referred to committee for discussion, and that's all I know about it.
    It seems anyone at ETS without knowlege of legal matters can accuse you of anything and refer you to a committee, even if you just discuss the topics that were covered in a recent exam.
    Last edited by CalmLogic; 01-08-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    I have PM'd you about your concerns.

Also, there's nothing wrong with discussing the test in vague terms; it's the disclosure of test items (questions) that they're concerned about.

The person who got the phone call from ETS had disclosed the actual question he got on his/her recent test.
    Last edited by reactor; 04-02-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    Jeez, calm down calmlogic! :-) ETS is not the CIA (I guess).

Just note to everyone here:
    1) Don't put this cool site in jeopardy by posting blantantly coprighted items
    2) DONT USE YOUR REAL NAME! Have you never used an internet forum before? Really......

Tino

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information