PDA

View Full Version : My TOEFL IBT speaking experience...

patito
10-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi,
I took the Toefl ibt on last Saturday Sept the 20th. Nothing could have prepared me enough for the speaking part of the test. I am a Native English speaker, I just happened to do my college education in another country and now need to do this test also.

My advice for new and repeating test takers is to just start talking about any topic out loud, better yet, if you have alot of noise around you, for example your kids talking, playing, arguing, TV on, etc. On my test day I could easily hear and listen to at least five other people talking for the speaking part of the exam so if makes it very dificult to concentrate and comunicate your ideas. You need to focus and imagine that it is only you that needs to talk and don't think about the other people.

Study books have many speaking topics, just do them and VERY important, time your self. You only have 15 sec to prepare your answer (which on the test date it is just like nothing) and then you get 45 seconds to speak your answer, and believe me, those were the fastest 45 sec of my life. I would like to add that the 4 individual topics were easy, every day things (don't ask me for the topics) but I just lost it and if was very hard to focus.

I don't want to discourage anyone but encourage you to JUST TALK.

Finally, I don't even now my scores, but for sure I will need to take the test again. I need to score at least 26 in the speaking section.

Good luck to all!

gnani
10-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi patito

Good to see a native speaker in this forum.Don't worry,I hope you will get definitely 26 in speaking section.

Good luck!!

Abdullah Al Mahmood Mosfe
10-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Dear Patito
thanks for sharing ur experience...............believe me I feel the same difficulty in practicing though. time seems to be the great challange. I hope i will mange to get 26 on the test day (I have only 5 days).

patito
10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi Abdullah Al,
Just don't stress out, be confident in yourself and don't think about the others that are also taking the test. There was a thread a while back that had some speaking topics of the exam, practice all you can for 45 seconds at a time. Wish you the best!