PDA

View Full Version : Very much confused

milli
04-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi All;
I have got an admission offer from Northeastern University and University of North Texas but without any scholorship.
Program is M.S. in computer science.I have a three years of work experience in software industry . My bachelors degree was in Mechanical.

I am not from a rich family so I cant get finacial support from my family .All I can do is get loan from bank. Can any one please suggest me whether to go for MS without a scholorship or not.

I am very much confused. Please help

ketan
04-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Hi Milli,

I can understand the situation.

Infact it seems that most of the MS admit this time are with any aid or waiver.

I too have got it form Irvine and MSU.. have to reject Irvine due to cost. Somehow putting togather for MSU. Infact if nothing works form there as promised by prof from there then I might opt out early :(

U can better talk with prof there and see if anyone has project(funded) in your area of interest. Talk with students there and ask what is scope after 1 sem.
U can expect anything after only 1 (mix) or 2 sem .. so should be ready to spend that much.

If u are not in hurry and think it is real tought to get 45K$+ then better try to talk with university if they can defer your admit and then try again for next yr for aid.

I am not sure I can suggest u anything.. it is tough situation and personal. Best thing to do it calculate the ROI for your investment and see what u can get from this univ.. job wise and how long it will take for u to payoff.

U can go for loan.. banks.. but think of all implications.

2 yrs of pay loss + 1 yr setup period (post study ) + 2 yr study
should be able to pay within 3-5 yrs.

HTH
bye
ketan

zorrillo
04-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by ketan

U can better talk with prof there and see if anyone has project(funded) in your area of interest. Talk with students there and ask what is scope after 1 sem.
U can expect anything after only 1 (mix) or 2 sem .. so should be ready to spend that much.

If u are not in hurry and think it is real tought to get 45K$+ then better try to talk with university if they can defer your admit and then try again for next yr for aid.

Ketan,
Are these two Unis mentioned 45K$+? Are you referring to annual payments or cost for the entire MS? Like you said, I think it's quite possible to get some kind of aid after the 1st or 2nd sem. You'll have to look around and talk to the departments. But for this, you'll have to be there first.
anyway, congrats on your admit [banana], although it's not quite your first choice - is Miss. offering you aid?
I know your GRE score, but let me know the rest of your profile.

Good luck dude!

ketan
04-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi,

U may not spend that much amount, but u should be able to show to consulate to get visa!!! If u are there.. u are right.. u can do anything..
my point was from first pespective..

I am working 4 yrs.. medical devices area. apart form scores.. anything
else ?

MSU is not my first choice.. but both of my first choice are gone.. one by their decision and one by mine.

bye
ketan

randhawa
04-08-2004, 07:17 AM
Think u r right...

I cannot think tht far since I haven't got any accepts yet... But infact I knw, after getting accept u do the hard work of makin choices...

and this is a very subjective matter... like the electrons on different threshold levels... all of us are different (if we take a closer look)... no way can someone else decide for u...

better do the analysis (tht ketan pointed out) and go straight for it...

pondis2k3
04-11-2004, 05:14 AM
usually Masters program don't come with any direct Aid (tuition waiver) ... but it is always helpful to check with your university about the number ta's and ra's they appoint every year ... this is a great source of funding if you are planning to go on to phd ... you can check this stat at usnews.com ratings too ... my friend has the access if you want I can ask him for this ...

miao9
04-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Hi Milli,

I hope things work out for u.

If you're going to Northeastern university in chicago this fall 2004, do contact me at miao9@singnet.com.sg

I've been accepted into Erikson Institute (downtown chicago, near Northeastern uni) and am scouting for housing and room mates now. I know that living costs can significantly plunge when sharing apartments. Erikson just gave me a contact for student housing
www.collegeparkweb.com. This is a new apartment complex that is being converted to student housing. Many students from universities in the area already live there. they help with roommate selection--and they are very nice apartments. The prices are reasonable.

so do contact me if u're indeed going.

laura