PDA

View Full Version : Please Rate my AWA

joy_mookerji
11-30-2008, 03:06 AM
"Some states are creating new laws that restrict the use of handheld cell phones by drivers of automobiles. Such legislation, however, is sheer folly. Although some people with cell phones undoubtedly cause problems on the road, including serious accidents, the majority do not. Besides, problems are also caused by drivers who are distracted by any number of other activities, from listening to the radio to disciplining children. Since there is no need to pass legislation restricting these and other such activities, it follows that there is no need to restrict people's freedom to use a device that they find convenientóor helpful in emergencies."

---------------------------------------------------------------

The author in his opinion has pointed out that law prohibiting the drivers using cell phone while driving is not justified. The author has emphasized cell phones are not the only source for distraction during driving, they are supplemented with music from radio, disciplining children which are potential forces of distraction.
However I strongly disagree with authorís opinion against the legislation. Communicating over cell phone while driving is a potent cause of accidents since drivers get engrossed in conversation and their attention is distorted. This not only makes the driver susceptible to accident but also adds to the risk factor to other drivers especially during busy traffic hours where everyone is in a hurry to reach their destination.
While talking over the phone we are engaged in conversation with the caller and we are forced to multitask. Especially if it is an important call, where full attention on the subject of the conversation is needed our brain are prone to making mistakes while doing multitask and we are left to the whim of our reflexes. This is a very serious issue to be taken into account because not only the driverís life is put into jeopardy but other drivers are exposed to danger because of this unscrupulous act of talking over the phone while driving.
Thereby I strongly despise the authors claim over the righteousness of using cell phone while driving and strongly support the legislation which bans this practice.

cambridgedove
01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
I will give you 4.5 out of 6

rupali41
01-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Hi,

I just want to mention here that the word "distorted" is not the right fit for your sentence.