PDA

View Full Version : Do universities report all their placements?

Like_it_is_Show_Biz
02-21-2009, 06:12 PM
So recently I was checking out Vanderbilt's placement record (http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/graduateprogram/index.html). It's not bad for where they are usually ranked. Then it occurred to me that they might just leave off bad placements from this list. This year they have 8 graduating PhDs, more than is listed for any year since 2001. Is it possible they only awarded one PhD in 2007? My question is not only about Vanderbilt. In general has anyone heard of cases where bad PhD placements were left off these kind of lists?

Zmoney
02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Well is a bad placement worse than not being able to place someone? Doubt it. Maybe they weren't able to place someone yet

GymShorts
02-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Some schools publish all of them, and some don't publish any. Other use statements like "Our graduates have taken positions at ABC University, XYZ State, and the IMF." These statements make it clear that this is a small list of some of their better placements. So the answer to your question is "not always."

However, I believe what you are referring to is when the program provides a list of placements with the years, and students' names so that the list appears complete. So do universities ever make it look complete, when it is not (deleting the bad placements)? That I don't know.

Like_it_is_Show_Biz
02-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Whether a school has a bad placement or no placement, they have strong incentive to simply leave this graduate off of their official placement list. If a school did this it would be difficult for a prospective student to find out. I am just wondering if anyone here knows anything.

Like_it_is_Show_Biz
02-21-2009, 06:32 PM
However, I believe what you are referring to is when the program provides a list of placements with the years, and students' names so that the list appears complete. So do universities ever make it look complete, when it is not (deleting the bad placements)? That I don't know.

This is precisely what I am asking.

economics
02-21-2009, 06:57 PM
This is precisely what I am asking.

they are biased no matter what. i assume that the worst students don't even enter the academic job market or withdraw early... this bias is worse for lower-tier schools

HJNewey
02-21-2009, 07:18 PM
as far as i know (perhaps only a little), lots of programs like to push their stars. I guess only stars matter probably.

Timmy
02-21-2009, 08:12 PM
they are biased no matter what. i assume that the worst students don't even enter the academic job market or withdraw early... this bias is worse for lower-tier schools

Wisconsin used to publish its placement list until a year ago. I don't know why it is not available anymore.

SquareSquare
02-22-2009, 04:57 AM
In general has anyone heard of cases where bad PhD placements were left off these kind of lists?

I've seen this happen at one school (which is not in top100 according to EconPhd.net). Whether that happens at top schools is a good question...

TruDog
02-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Wisconsin used to publish its placement list until a year ago. I don't know why it is not available anymore.

I don't know, either. I only really knew two of the placements last year; one went to Northwestern and the other to Texas A&M.

OneMoreEcon
02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Wisconsin does publish the list. Placement Results - 1999-2004 (http://www.econ.wisc.edu/grad/placement/placement_results_past.htm)

It's one of the things still working well from here (not updated in two years, but the link to the Wisconsin website works): University of Wisconsin-Madison - Department of Economics - Econspace (http://econspace.org/wiki/index.php?title=University_of_Wisconsin-Madison_-_Department_of_Economics)

The placement records were one of the better aspects of the information on econspace.org, and I doubt that too many were damaged by spam. It might be worth taking a look there. I think Princeton is one of the schools that doesn't publish a placement list, but it's up there, too... only places though, not the names of the graduates who took the jobs.