PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried recently to book a test before Oct.1?

Anik
09-11-2002, 05:45 PM
Is it still possible book a test before Oct 1 or everything is booked? Does it matter what country are you in? I am in Canada, by the way.

I have already taken a GRE but I am not quite satisfied with the results especially with analytical (my scores are V590, A670, Q780). But I am not sure if I actually need to retake the test to improve my scores. I am applying to M.Sc. in MIS program offered by UBC Commerce and I am not sure if my current score is competitive.

I called admissions but they told me that they do not have any specific cut offs but that I have to provide a competitive score in all 3 areas. How would I know whether my score is competitive or not?!!! They did not give me any statistics :-(

Can anyone tell me how bad my scores are? Where can I find some GRE statistics for Management Information Systems applicants and programs?

Best regards, Anna

Erin
09-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Test dates are likely all booked up weeks in advance all over the world as this is the busiest time of year for testing.

Remember, however, that if you are desperate to take the test ASAP, you can always call a couple times a day to see if a spot is available. ETS uses a live database to schedule appointments, so as soon as one spot becomes available, it's up for grabs. I've had a couple of students get their much-needed test spot this way.

Your scores look pretty good, but your Verbal score is only a little bit above average. If you can raise that, you'll have a better chance of getting in.

Anik
09-12-2002, 04:30 AM
Thank you very much for such a prompt reply, Erin. I love your site!!!

One more question about my verbal score: do admission committees usually treat verbal score differently for native and non-native English speakers? I am Russian (currently living in Canada). How is my verbal score taking into account that I am an ESL student?

Thank you,
Anna

Erin
09-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Schools generally look for a somewhat lower Verbal score from non-native speakers, depending on your program, the competition, etc.

And, you're welcome! :)