PDA

View Full Version : Should I study first and then take a practice test?

macgregorgolf
04-24-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi all,

In your preparation, what did you do first?

Did you take a practice test first without any review and use that score as a benchmark?

Or did you do a comprehensive review and then take some practice tests?

I guess I'm wondering about the most effective way to study. I feel like there isn't a lot of good practice tests out there, so blowing one right from the beginning is a waste.

What do you think? Also, what suggestions do you have for practice tests? Thanks! :tup:

macgregorgolf
04-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Did I ask a stupid question? Is this why there are 27 views and no replies?

Goldust
04-27-2009, 06:23 AM
There aren't any stupid questions. You will always have plenty of views and few answers. So, don't fret about that.

Different strategies work for different people. You may want to take a diagnostic test before you start your prep, but I wouldn't use that to benchmark your score, just your strengths and weaknesses. I took Princeton Review's diagnostic test without even knowing the format of the GRE, misread half the questions in Verbal, and ended up with a score in the 1200-1300 range (as far as I can remember).

If you do decide to take a test before preparing, try to avoid the ETS Powerprep tests. These are the best indicators of your final score, and you don't want to squander them right now.

So, I suggest that you take a diagnostic test to figure out which sections you need to focus on, prepare well and then take as many practice tests as you can. Just don't compare your scores on the latter with that on the diagnostic test. A 100-point increase in that case is far less important than a 100-point increase between tests AFTER you are prepared somewhat.

Luma
04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Hi :D
I started preparing for GRE afew months ago, I didn't take a full diagnostic test, I only worked out the math part of Barron's diagnostic test. Becuase for the math- YES, you need to know what are your week points, but for the Verbal there's no point, you need to study first becuase if you have no previous idea about GRE-Verbal you will end up misinterpreting the questions or even worse you will neither comprehend the questions nor the answer choices.
So at the begining Verbal made me feel helpless but eventually I started to enjoy it and believe it or not, I can't wait turn back from work so I can study :D

marikit777
04-29-2009, 04:22 AM
I took a diagnostic test first then review. I answer the Practice Exercises at the end of Sections after reviewing.

joycebmartz
05-20-2009, 10:23 PM
How do you study to make it sound so fun? I am also starting my studying process and would like to have some tips.

kar
03-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Rise for a Cause (http://shekar-info.blogspot.com/) i tried to write what i can! hope its helpful to you guys!

mookrit
03-22-2010, 06:11 AM
At the moment, I'm studying to take the GRE in July. What I'm doing is taking practice tests from the Big Book, and using my mistakes on that to revise concepts at the same time.