PDA

View Full Version : A great tip to avoid noise from GMAT t-takers!!!

vertical_horizon
09-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Hi all :D:D:D!!!!!

Today a friend of mine (we are Vietnamese) took the TOEFL test. He also had to sit beside a man who took the GMAT. But he has revealed his tip for me of how to avoid the noise made in that man's typing section. And I can't wait to publicize it :D:D:D. So here goes the tip:

Step 1: Go into the room :D
Step 2: Go into the totorial part. This is the time when the man taking the GMAT starts his writing section.
Step 3: Hang on at some detail (don't click 'Next', for example)
Step 4: Go out of the room (you may have to sign at some paper)
Step 5: Rest for 50-60 mins (:):cool::D)
Step 6: Go back into the room
Step 7: Begin the listening section comfortably without worrying about how your score will be affected by that terrible noise [^]:D.

That's it!

phuongled (<-- verhor)

P.S: My friend got 22 on the listening section. Not high but not very low either, is it? And he said that he may have had <20 if not using that tip :D...

Erin
09-14-2002, 02:13 PM
Great tip, "phuongled (<-- verhor)" :)

You may have heard that TOEFL will be changing the test in 2004 or so. I was reading some of their research and reports, and couldn't help but laugh at some of the things they said. As you may know, the new TOEFL will include listening, meaning that testtakers will have to speak during the test. TOEFL actually did research to find out whether or not other testtakers would be disturbed while one testtaker was talking!

Anyway, one of the best things you can do if you are disturbed by the noise (other than what you've suggested) is write a letter of complaint to TOEFL at

toefl@ets.org

Believe it or not, they listen to all complaints, and even though they will probably not do anything in your specific case, if enough people write in to complain, they will change the procedure in the future (and probably also raise the price to cover the added expense [V] )

Thanks for your input!

vertical_horizon
09-14-2002, 02:50 PM
TOEFL actually did research to find out whether or not other testtakers would be disturbed while one testtaker was talking!
Oh that's making me laugh too :( !!!

Believe it or not, they listen to all complaints, and even though they will probably not do anything in your specific case, if enough people write in to complain, they will change the procedure in the future (and probably also raise the price to cover the added expense [V] )

Really :shy: ? So test takers may have to choose: Being annoyed or forking out more money :p. That's funny but terrible, too. Don't know should be cry or laugh!!!!

As you may know, the new TOEFL will include listening, meaning that testtakers will have to speak during the test.
And you mean 'will include speaking', don't ya :D ?

phuongled (<-- verhor)