PDA

View Full Version : UCL or Warwick

farrash
05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I've been accepted to UCL and Warwick for my Msc Economics. To be honest I sort of sleepwalked through undergrad to date so happy to have gotten in. 2 Questions: 1) Is there any real difference in the quality reputation of the two programmes? I want to go to UCL but wonder is Warwick perhaps slightly better regarded
2) If I wanted to go on to Phd. would there be a chance of getting into some of the slightly better schools like LSE/Oxbridge etc. with a distinction and some good results in finals? Is it common to change university between Msc and Phd. As I said, undergrad to date wasn't my finest hour and I think I might have gotten in to LSE etc had I my final results before applying.

Thanks!

italos
05-14-2009, 05:03 PM
For your first question use the search tool for past posts on both master.However, my straight vote goes to UCL
On your second question getting a distinction is very hard but not unusual.And yes it is common change school between MSc and PhD

elcapitano
05-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Overall I think UCL>Warwick but this is not the case for all fields. I can't remember what their relative strengths are but a vaguely recall Warwick being a better place to do Macro. Also, depending on your interests, neither Oxford or Cambridge are necessarily better places to do a PhD, so you should put some weight on your likely areas of interest when making your decision if you plan to stay in the UK.

It is not unusual to switch, but the requirements in terms of achievement are probably higher than staying where you are. If you don't have stellar undergraduate grades (say 75+) then you may need a reasonably comfortable distinction at the MSc level in order to switch across to LSE or Oxbridge.

italos
05-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Overall I think UCL>Warwick but this is not the case for all fields. I can't remember what their relative strengths are but a vaguely recall Warwick being a better place to do Macro..

Not anymore!Warwick has lost many of their macro people.Marcus Miller was retired,Mark Taylor works at the Barkley Capital Martin Ellison went to Oxford.They strengthened their macro side by hiring a couple of young guys.
On the other hand since Herakles Polemarchakis joined their department in 2006 their Micro fields have become stronger than ever having as a direct effect other people to go there particular for General Equilibrium stuff(ie. Carvajal) and Hammond from Stanford as emeritus !

claeis
05-14-2009, 06:54 PM
UCL for sure. it is in london and it is harder to get in to start with. so in terms of classmates and location ucl>warwick. plus if you don't switch schools i think it is a better place to do phd. you could as well check their phd placements. from what i have searched on web so far, i believe ucl is better. you should also check whether ucl is strong in your interest field.
and i believe it is common to switch schools after MSc for the most successful and least successful ones.

economics
05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
i can't think of a single field in which warkwick>UCL... i'd go to UCL.

italos
05-14-2009, 07:12 PM
i can't think of a single field in which warkwick>UCL... i'd go to UCL.

Warwick has one of the strongest department in Europe in General Equilibrium but I agree UCL is a better place overall!

elcapitano
05-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Not anymore!Warwick has lost many of their macro people.Marcus Miller was retired,Mark Taylor works at the Barkley Capital Martin Ellison went to Oxford.They strengthened their macro side by hiring a couple of young guys.
On the other hand since Herakles Polemarchakis joined their department in 2006 their Micro fields have become stronger than ever having as a direct effect other people to go there particular for General Equilibrium stuff(ie. Carvajal) and Hammond from Stanford as emeritus !

I'm happy to be corrected. Thanks.

Connemara Pony
05-14-2009, 08:41 PM
UCL UCL UCL

And you should have no problem getting into oxbridge for a Phd with a good result from either of those two programs.

Bees
05-14-2009, 11:41 PM
UCL I don't want to say more so now let me post ...

tangsiuje
05-15-2009, 02:00 AM
I don't think the differences in academic standards are as big as it would seem from this thread. In fact, Warwick and UCL probably tie in a number of fields and Warwick is actually ranked higher than UCL both on econphd.net and repec.

On the other hand, you don't want to live in Coventry, so +1 for UCL.

Connemara Pony
05-15-2009, 07:50 AM
The differences aren't huge, but UCL (from what I've heard) is a much more rigorous and solid masters.

And I agree, living in London = much better.

fusionsnow
05-15-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't think its such a clearcut decision. If you are hoping to go elsewhere after a year then its not actually all that important how strong the faculty is. You should go where you think you will flourish. It may be that this is on a campus environment away from the commuting and cost of London. You should also consider where class sizes are smaller as that way you will have more chance for interaction with faculty to get LORs.

Weary
05-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Crawford has just moved to Warwick so IO seems to be as good as in UCL. Well on a second thought it turned out to be quite a stretch. Dept is good but doesn`t reach UCL.