PDA

View Full Version : Ask about the ETS's 185 topic list

Fortune
09-21-2002, 12:40 PM
Hi all,

As far as I know, ETS publicizes a list of 185 topics that will appear on Toefl tests. But how do you think about the possibility in that you would meet a topic which isn't in the list on your TOEFL exam. Yesterday I talked with a guy who took a TOEFL exam one year ago. HE told me the topic of the essay that he had had to write on his TOEFL exam. After talking with him, I checked the ETS's 185 topic list and it turned out that this topic was not in the list.

If any guy here knows about this rule, please explain for me.

Thanks in advance.

vertical_horizon
09-21-2002, 01:24 PM
Hi :),

I have many friends who took the toefl test and all of them got the topics among that 185 (I myself did, too :)). But surely ETS may test you on other ones. If you read the Bulletin carefully this is stated there.

Wish you luck on the real test :D,

phuongled

PS: I think you should post this in 'TOEFL Essays Discussion' :).

Erin
09-21-2002, 11:23 PM
Hello there,

I seriously doubt that ETS would introduce a new topic on the essay section of the TOEFL right now. I have never heard of a student getting a topic that was not on the list.

I'm just guessing here, but is it possible that your friend had a topic that was on the last official list of topics? You do know that TOEFL periodically revises their essay list and that the last revision was in 2001, right? When they changed from 2000 to 2001, they introduced many new topics, and got rid of some of the old ones. For example, both of the topics that you get in the PowerPrep ("favorite class" and "what does music show about your country") are both "retired" topics, i.e., they used to appear on the official TOEFL, but they no longer do.

What was your friend's topic? I'll bet you a lobster dinner and a bottle of wine that it was on the pre-2001 list!! ;)

Fortune
09-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by ErinBilly

What was your friend's topic? I'll bet you a lobster dinner and a bottle of wine that it was on the pre-2001 list!! ;)

OH Erin, I come interested in your bet. BUt I have to go to ask this guy the exact name of the topic. I will post the exact name as soon as I get it.

cinderellahn
09-23-2002, 09:35 AM
Fortune, I think you shouldn't be worried. The only thing you should do is to familiar yourself with the most updated topic list :). My friends and I (I know quite many people who took the test) all had exactly the same topics as in the list, no word changed,...

wall
09-24-2002, 12:56 AM
Cinderella,
Do you have a list of essay topics that had bean tested in Vietnam or Asia-Pacific region?
Regards,
Tuong

cinderellahn
09-24-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by wall

Cinderella,
Do you have a list of essay topics that had bean tested in Vietnam or Asia-Pacific region?
Regards,
Tuong

Oh, the Toefl test is worldwide! That is to say, it is the same in Asia as in the US, etc. The list you need can be easily found in the Essay box. There are 185 topics now.

HTH.

wall
09-24-2002, 04:56 AM
Oh, Cinderella,
You misunderstood me! I meant I wanted to know the list of essay topics that had been TESTED in Vietnam. I believe that If once a essay topic had bean tested in Vietnam, it would not occur in the second times so that It maybe takes less time for me to read all the essay topics, Maybe I am wrong!Just my thought!
Regards,
Tuong

cinderellahn
09-24-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by wall

Oh, Cinderella,
You misunderstood me! I meant I wanted to know the list of essay topics that had been TESTED in Vietnam. I believe that If once a essay topic had bean tested in Vietnam, it would not occur in the second times so that It maybe takes less time for me to read all the essay topics, Maybe I am wrong!Just my thought!
Regards,
Tuong

Hi Tuong,

I think there isn't such a list. You know, with the computer-based test, we have 6 people taking the test everyday (in Vietnam), how could 185 topics be enough to share for anyone each???

Don't be lazy [:o)], you have to work hard anyway. Post your essays here and others will help you deal with them to make them the best possible :).

vertical_horizon
09-25-2002, 05:13 AM
I meant I wanted to know the list of essay topics that had been TESTED in Vietnam. I believe that If once a essay topic had bean tested in Vietnam, it would not occur in the second times so that It maybe takes less time for me to read all the essay topics, Maybe I am wrong!Just my thought!

Oooooppps!!! Please think twice, dear wall :D. Did you know that I took my test on 30, Aug and had topic #108. And, believe or not, my 2 close friends who took the test 2 days and 5 days after got the very one!!! I agree with Cinder, TOEFL tests how much you have prepared for it, so just study hard (but certainly smart, too :)) is somehow the best way to reach to your desired score. I think you know this so well because you are much older than us. And isn't 'cramming' a strong point of us Vietnamese (:D & :() ?

BTW, when do you intend to take (or will take) the test? I guess you may take it in Oct with the PBT, right?

I believe you can do well on it for what you've showed us here has proved that.

677 is waiting :D!!!

-phuong-

PS: And please don't tell me you'll focus on topic #108 only (:D!)

atnoon
09-25-2002, 05:51 AM
umm.....very interesting!!! 3 testtaker in Vietnam met topic#108.
I am eager to know what is the highest frequent topic in Thailand. :p
I must check it out!!!

Tuong, I agree with Retena.
you should practise writting. Write some essays and post them, then we will give you our opinion ...o.k?

synthia
09-25-2002, 06:31 AM
Hi noon,

How would find out the highest freq -topic?? Maybe a survey throughout the region would help?!?!

wall
09-26-2002, 05:10 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for all of you! I just wanted to smart myself but eventually, I got no derised result, hehe :D[V]
I will take the toefl exam about 2003.I have to work so that I have a little time to cram the TOEFL's practice. Hope to much time to cram essay writing! I will try all my best.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Tuong

vertical_horizon
09-26-2002, 08:03 AM
umm.....very interesting!!! 3 testtaker in Vietnam met topic#108.
I am eager to know what is the highest frequent topic in Thailand.
I must check it out!!!

Tuong, I agree with Retena I haven't seen Renata's post yet. Did you mean cinderella :D?.
you should practise writting. Write some essays and post them, then we will give you our opinion ...o.k?

Hi noon,

How would find out the highest freq -topic?? Maybe a survey throughout the region would help?!?!

I think there are no high-frequency topics. The computer will choose the topic for us randomly, therefore the possibilities of all topics are equal.

Hi all,
Thanks for all of you! I just wanted to smart myself but eventually, I got no derised result, hehe
I will take the toefl exam about 2003.I have to work so that I have a little time to cram the TOEFL's practice. Hope to much time to cram essay writing! I will try all my best.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Tuong

Oh so you still have 4 months more! Don't be worried cuz 4 month is more than enough for you, I know :). You should visit the City Gate Building at 104 Tran Hung Dao str. I think the studying atmosphere there is very good for us. Of course you can write to me at phuongled@fpt.vn and we can exchange information. Wish you best on the test :D

-phuong-

Vaya
09-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Tuong, I agree with Retena I haven't seen Renata's post yet. Did you mean cinderella :D?.

? Is my name so difficult ? Or it isn't my name :D

BTW, I also think that a computer choose a topic randomly...

Renata...

atnoon
09-28-2002, 01:38 PM
I meant "Cinderella".
At noon

MaliciousHUT
12-12-2002, 05:10 AM
A boring topic!

You fear that If you get a topic not in ETS topic list, you can not write a word [V].

nnphuoc
01-16-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by MaliciousHUT

A boring topic!

You fear that If you get a topic not in ETS topic list, you can not write a word [V].

You should not say so.
I think it is much better if we are familiar with the topic. As for me, I am extremely happy if the topic on the TOEFL test is the one I have ever written.
The list of the topics from ETS reminds me BO DE TUYEN SINH (the list of the entrance university tests issued by the MOET ) for which high school students at my time really cared whether they would appear on the real test.

Thanks so much for useful information.

Phuoc