PDA

View Full Version : Issue Essay: Please read and comment

newyear
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
TOPIC: “Great advances in knowledge necessarily involve rejection of authority”

Essay:
The sentiments expressed in the topic statement may have held more value a century ago but is very much true today as well. Since times of yore, authority has focussed more on stability than on changes and improvement. There was even a time when new ideas were scorned upon and thus highly discouraged. Nowadays technological and scientific advancement is red lettered in every agenda but still there are many limitations to advancement. In this regard it would be reasonable to agree that advances in knowledge involve rejection of authority.

This topic immediately brings to mind the oppression faced by Galileo when he worked towards and came up with new scientific ideas. The church, the authority in every field at that time, vehemently opposed his new ideas and he was shunned by authority and even accused of opposing the religion itself. In spite of these impediments he still managed to contribute greatly to fields of astronomy and physics which is highly relevant even today. This only shows that his rejection of authority at that time was so important that it has completely changed the face of physics.

In the later ages, for e.g. during the 18th and 19th centuries, the scholars continued to face oppression though not so much from the religious authority. Now the main cause for hindering advancement was the necessity to continually please the autocratic rulers who imposed severe restrictions on scholars. Another problem was that change of rule after frequent wars meant changing restrictions on these scientists and academicians and again they could not pursue knowledge gain freely. Here again it was those who continued their research works irrespective of who the authority was or what the restrictions were, were the ones who could achieve the pinnacle of achievements in the field of science and gaining wide knowledge and are well known today for their admirable contributions.

Nowadays advancements in knowledge are important to every government, today’s authority, and so impetus on science and technology is very high. Even so, there are various limitations imposed on scientists and academicians in terms of resources, agenda etc which hinders advancement of knowledge in the sense that people cannot advance in the way they want to but have to do so within the severe restrictions imposed upon them. Again, it is those who are ready to step up and face the consequences that end up bringing about those cutting edge developments in science and technology.

These different aspects of oppression from authority as well as various elements in the society tend to hinder advancement unless they are treated with cautious regard and are opposed when necessary. The oppression faced was more due to religious beliefs in the olden times and are more related to restrictions to advancement imposed by governments today. Still, the underlying fact is that for pursuing academic advancement it is necessary that those who want to do so must take authority, to an extent, in their own hands. At the same time it is also necessary that sufficient respect is shown to the beliefs of the authority and to the whims of the society so that they too in return will try to respect and support these advancements of knowledge.
word count : 533 words
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would be extremely grateful if some readers commented on my issue essay.
Thank you in advance.

newyear
07-22-2010, 09:20 AM
How do i edit the title of a post??

wasleys
07-22-2010, 09:34 AM
How do i edit the title of a post??

I don 't think you can. I think moderators might be able to but I have never done so. Do you want me to try?

newyear
07-22-2010, 10:21 AM
sure, be my guest.
And also please comment on the essay if possible.
Thanks

wasleys
07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Title edited as requested.

I don't comment on essays because I do not know what the test requirements are. Any comment I make might therefore be misleading.

However at a quick glance and with the above proviso I notice that in the first line is should be are to agree with plural sentiments. Upon is not needed with scorned. There are a number of places where the English would be tighter if unnecessary words were removed.

newyear
07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
ok thank you.