PDA

View Full Version : Chinese undergraduate's profile evaluation.Please help~

leixiaowen04
10-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Background:
Undergraduate school: top 10 in China, but its my major's rank is not a top 10 one
Undergraduate major: international economy and trade
Undergraduate GPA:3.5+,but my maths is poor. I took Calculus I (88),Calculus II (70),Probability and statistics(84),Linear matrix(94),operational research(80),my econ courses are intermediate macro(85),intermediate micro(86),I have taken some other courses like international trade, international finance, accounting, which has little relation with economic theory)
RA experience: I am now an RA in a famous institute in China, but the things I do is not so academically related.(only 3 months experience).
TA experience: taught chemistry and maths before, also I have been a piano teacher for 2 years
3 recommendation letter:one from the chair of management department (about my course performance and academic activities in school), one from my mentor (not famous,talk about research experience),one from a maths professor
SOP:I am writing it now, talk about my interest and understanding of economics(any suggestions?)
Schools I am going to apply:
dream school:Virginia, Washington U St.Louis, North Carolina, Boston College, UC Irvine,PSU
other schools:Syracuse U,Indiana State U, U of Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida international U,
George Washington U, Florida State U, LSU, Northeastern, Virginia Tech, American U, Binghamton, U of Massachusetts Amherst, Stony Brook, Southern illinios U,Temple, West Virginia, Brandeis U

I have now chosen 29 schools, but I am not going to apply so many, I want to cut some universities, finally I want to apply for 20 universities. Am I aiming to high? Could you give me some advice on choosing universities?

Thank you for your help very much:)

nnweconphd
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Does Indiana State offer a PhD program?

For Chinese applicants, I would suggest doing a masters before going for a PhD, except for those from Beida or Tsinghua U.

leixiaowen04
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Well., thank you! I want to save some time, and want to be directly enrolled in PHD program. I will check ISU further, and what do you think about the universities I choose?

Anyway, thanks a lot

Harry2010
10-27-2010, 01:36 PM
I think choices are quite reasonable. You have chosen some school for your dreams (like PSU) and some for safties (like some non-ranked schools). But I have to remind you for two things: 1. I understand how you want to enroll the PhD program asap, yet you have to know that the job market for lower ranked schools are not so great. You have to have a plan in your mind--what you will do if you cannot find a job in the US after all, will you like to do whatever you plan to do in that case?
2. I have to say, consider your profile, in terms of LORs, Math background, and RA experience, it is very had for you to get into any top 30 PhD programs. And even if you get into some top 40~50 schools, they are very less likely to offer you funding--so you want to be able to afford that (but today many Chinese are very rich and they just want a degree, so they do not care about the funding. however I do not know what your case it).

At the end, if you can afford the PhD study, why do not you just do a master first then you can get into a much better school.

leixiaowen04
10-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Thank you, actually I always want to be a faculty in Economics. If this time I fail, I will do a master later in China, and then do my application for US Phd. I have no funding, and need scholarship.Thank you for your suggestion related to job market. Is there any working opportunities for PHD students so that I can afford my living and tuition expenditure?

Harry2010
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Thank you, actually I always want to be a faculty in Economics. If this time I fail, I will do a master later in China, and then do my application for US Phd. I have no funding, and need scholarship.Thank you for your suggestion related to job market. Is there any working opportunities for PHD students so that I can afford my living and tuition expenditure?

If you want to be a faculty, you want to go to the best program you can go. It is much better to do a master outside of China~~(for the sake of applying for Phd). You have to be awarded scholarship, TA or RA by the time of admission, otherwise there is no way for Chinese students to get supported unless you wait until you pass you qualify exam.

valelee
10-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Does Indiana State offer a PhD program?

For Chinese applicants, I would suggest doing a masters before going for a PhD, except for those from Beida or Tsinghua U.

Well, Beida is not all that safe, an M.S. from CCER or U.S./U.K. is necessary nowadays.

Harry2010
10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
What is CCER? I think it depends on case by case. No matter what school you come from, you can have different profile. Students from Beida and Qinghua surely have better resources, but not all of them have used the resources.

Elliephant
10-28-2010, 03:37 AM

I agree. I've seen lots of PKU and TSU undergrads go right into solid PhD programmes, but never Chinese applicants from other schools (unless they had a master's). I've heard this also happens for people from Fudan but don't have any examples to corroborate that rumour.

I think the fact of coming from a lesser-known Chinese school and having so little math (particularly compared to many Chinese applicants) will work against you. That is not to say you shouldn't apply, and with a net as wide as twenty schools, you are likely to be admitted somewhere. But it might be a good idea to also apply to a couple of mid-tier master's programmes. Finally, I should mention that if you want to be an economics prof in China, then pretty much all the schools you've listed will give you a chance to do that (though a top-notch school like Beida probably wouldn't hire out of most of them); but if you want to teach outside of China (even in Hong Kong or Singapore), you may encounter problems.

Edit: You've made no mention of GRE and TOEFL scores. Those are going to be very important given your sparse math background and no guarantee of English proficiency. When you take those tests, make sure to do well on them.

leixiaowen04
11-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind reply. It seems that many of you are coming from China, ha?

Actually, I am a student from Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

My GRE is V 510 + Q 800 + AW 5.0
TOFEL 102

This is further application information of myself. After careful consideration, I also plan to apply for some MA program in US or Canada. As I have mentioned, I don't have so much private funding. So is there any MA program suggested?

I decided to apply for SFU and Auburn MA program. Is there any other good ones?

Eager to get help from all of you!

leixiaowen04
11-01-2010, 07:07 AM
I list the schools I currently choose to apply:

PHD program: SFU, U of Massechussets Amherst, Clemson, UC Riverside, Stony Brook, Brandeis U, Northeastern U, American U, Syracuse, M, Binghamton

MA program:SFU, (Auburn is deleted since it only offers funding to American students)

Any comments?

leixiaowen04
11-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Add a school: Middle Tennessee State University

Canuckonomist
11-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I might recommend applying to an MA at a Canadian university, as most of the top 6 in canada place into decent programs in the U.S, and it also opens your doors to doing a Ph.D in Canada, should you choose to. The top 5-6 in Canada (Queen's, UBC, Toronto, UWO, SFU, McGill) will place better than (dare I say,) any school on your revised Ph.D list, and are more likely to offer funding, as all incoming students get some form of funding. Though Toronto might be hard to get into, we've placed well at Tsinghua and Shanghai in the past. If you're looking to be placed in China, perhaps some schools on your list would be ok, I don't know. But remember you will usually, if not always, place downward, so if you get a Ph.D at American or Northeastern, you're going to get a job (if you're lucky) at a place 10-20 rankings lower. Don't be so hot-in-the-bisket to get a Ph.D right away.

Elliephant
11-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind reply. It seems that many of you are coming from China, ha?

Not as many as you might conclude from these responses. I, for one, am Canadian. So is Canuckonomist. But some people know a thing or two about Chinese academia thanks to personal connections, etc.

valelee
11-02-2010, 05:38 PM
What is CCER? I think it depends on case by case. No matter what school you come from, you can have different profile. Students from Beida and Qinghua surely have better resources, but not all of them have used the resources.

It's China Center for Economics Research of Peking University, if I remember correctly. It's started and led by Justin Yifu Lin, and most of its MAs are placed in fairly decent oversea PhD programs. CCER has strong ties with Chicago and Berkeley/LA, if that's what you mean by "resources".

So I would suggest the OP try to get an MA from CCER if at all possible. In that way after 2-3 years one's profile can be really improved. Plus fancy letters from US profs who regularly visit CCER.

uad
11-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Well
try to get a master first, then you will have more chances